Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blackvue750s 2ch installation issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I have read somewhere on the forums that people were having issues installing the Blackvue750s 2ch dash cam drawing power directly from the 12v battery. Is it still an issue? or have installers found a solution?

I am planning to have Doug from Concour Auto Spa to install the cameras while working on the LA group buy deal...any suggestions? any recommendations?

I spoke to Doug and he said he has installed about 10-12 of these without any issues and i should be checking with Blackvue to see...

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I installed my BlackVue directly to the 12v battery in Feb 2018 and had issues where the battery was overcharging which caused a rotten egg smell. Tesla service center replaced the 12v battery and had not an issue since. It could be that I received a defect battery at delivery or new firmware solved this issue.

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
I installed my BlackVue directly to the 12v battery in Feb 2018 and had issues where the battery was overcharging which caused a rotten egg smell. Tesla service center replaced the 12v battery and had not an issue since. It could be that I received a defect battery at delivery or new firmware solved this issue.

When did you get your 12V battery replaced?

so was your install stay intact after Tesla service center replaced the battery? like the service people didn't remove the "3rd party" accessories? Do you have the 2 channel and did you install with the blackvue battery? If not, did you have any issues with the blackvue running parking mode draining the 12v battery?

I know a few people had issues with hardwiring in the early days, but I honestly think this problem may have been resolved in firmware. There are too many reports of people hardwiring with no issues for this to be a systematic problem.

I would like to believe that. But in following this topic across TMC, M3OC, and Reddit, I dont think I've read a post from anyone who has had it connected directly to the 12V battery for more than a few weeks, with no further updates That's why I asked Terran when he had his 12V replaced. However, I have read a few cases (Terran's included) where people ran into issues a few months down the road.

But yeah, I agree.. it seems like a small thing they could've "fixed" in firmware updates since then. But at the same time, we dont really know if it was a big enough issue that Tesla would have decided it needed fixing in the first place.

Some confirmation from our small population that its fixed would go a long way for me. My DR750S has been sitting in the box for a few months now.

I would like to believe that. But in following this topic across TMC, M3OC, and Reddit, I dont think I've read a post from anyone who has had it connected directly to the 12V battery for more than a few weeks, with no further updates That's why I asked Terran when he had his 12V replaced. However, I have read a few cases (Terran's included) where people ran into issues a few months down the road.

But yeah, I agree.. it seems like a small thing they could've "fixed" in firmware updates since then. But at the same time, we dont really know if it was a big enough issue that Tesla would have decided it needed fixing in the first place.

Some confirmation from our small population that its fixed would go a long way for me. My DR750S has been sitting in the box for a few months now.
I’ve seen several reports from people who have had dash cams wired for months with no issue.

When did you get your 12V battery replaced?

VIN 200x. Picked up my Car 1st week of Feb. 2018. Install the Dashcam right away. Received the Error message on the 2nd week of March, few day later got the rotten egg smell. Car had 2,746 miles on it. Invoice shows "found 12v battery was defective internally. Recommend replacing 12v battery". "Removed and replaced 12v battery and cleared alert. Verified proper operation of vehicle after repairs." Work done under warranty. Currently my car has 8,263 miles as of June 18, 2018. Dashcam is connected directly to the battery and on 24/7. No issues thus far.

so was your install stay intact after Tesla service center replaced the battery? like the service people didn't remove the "3rd party" accessories? Do you have the 2 channel and did you install with the blackvue battery? If not, did you have any issues with the blackvue running parking mode draining the 12v battery?

Yes, everything stayed intact after SC replaced the 12v battery. I have 2 channels, no blackvue battery. No issue with the Blackvue draining the traction battery other than the normal vampire drain at about about 3 miles overnight. Been running three months 24/7 with no issues.

No one can really know how it will affect your car. Yes, there are reports of hardwiring going okay after a few months, but reports of 12V battery errors leading to replacements still pop up. It really depends on if you want to deal with getting the 12V battery replaced if it dies. Tesla's been good about replacing it as a "good will" repair, but who knows, they might deny those repairs in the future citing unintended use. I went with an external battery pack and plugging into the 12V accessory socket with hopes that continuous power from the socket will be possible at some point in the future.

• Helpful
Reactions: Akikiki and Dag
Do you have the B124 blackvue battery? Where did you place the battery?

Yes, I have the B124 battery plus one expansion. Stored it under the passenger seat. It does hinder seat movement by a small portion (cannot move seat all the way down nor use the extreme back/forward 10% portion as the cables from the battery and seat interfere with each other's space) but I can live with it.

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
@Terran, @ChunkyJ, @tracksyde, @Dag If a GPS Location based on/off switch existed that would turn your dashcam off when you arrived at a destination such as your home garage, and started again when you left, would you be interested in such a device.
As you know if the dashcam is not needed in a closed garage, automatically turning it off would reduce vampire drain on the 12V battery and reduce the drain on a Blackvue external battery.

@Terran, @ChunkyJ, @tracksyde, @Dag If a GPS Location based on/off switch existed that would turn your dashcam off when you arrived at a destination such as your home garage, and started again when you left, would you be interested in such a device.
As you know if the dashcam is not needed in a closed garage, automatically turning it off would reduce vampire drain on the 12V battery and reduce the drain on a Blackvue external battery.

I would be interested in that