Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

blank "controls" screen the first time I toggle to it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Often, when I first start the car, I get a blank screen instead of the controls screen. Here are details:

After I enter my PIN, I see the navigation-map screen. At this point, if I toggle to the controls screen by pressing the “car” icon at lower left corner, I often get, instead of that screen, a blank white screen. In order to get the actual control screen, I must hit the “car” icon twice—once to return to the map, and again to return to the control screen, and the second time, the control screen is actually present.

Is anyone else experiencing the same thing?

Often, when I first start the car, I get a blank screen instead of the controls screen. Here are details:
After I enter my PIN, I see the navigation-map screen. At this point, if I toggle to the controls screen by pressing the “car” icon at lower left corner, I often get, instead of that screen, a blank white screen. In order to get the actual control screen, I must hit the “car” icon twice—once to return to the map, and again to return to the control screen, and the second time, the control screen is actually present.
Is anyone else experiencing the same thing?
I had that problem on my 2018. More often than not, the settings screen would come up blank. I just tap it again to close, and tap to bring it up. It was annoying, but I never did anything about it. My 2022 has never exhibited that problem.

I have the same problem with my July 2018 MX 100D. Toggling the control panel or the charge panel results in a blank screen. Toggling it off and on again brings it back. Has been that way for a few months,. Not enough to go to the service center about.

Unfortunately, I suspect this is "normal" for legacy S & X with V11. That isn't to say it isn't a bug, but I have no idea how to determine whether or not any software engineers are aware of or working on it. Regardless, to tie my experience with all of the posts above mine: prior to V11 (but maybe not until V8 or V9), the exact same issue would occur when you hit the lightning bolt to bring up the charging screen, so you'd have to hit it two more times to close the screen and bring it back not blank, but the controls screen always came up fine. Interestingly, one major change in V11 was that they moved the charging stuff to the controls screen. IOW, it looks to me like this issue is following the charging stuff, but I have no idea why it has been going on for so long.