Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blank dashboard screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It just happened today that both screens were blank. I did the power reset by holding down the scroll wheels and the infotainment screen came back after minutes of waiting but the dashboard screen was still blank. I then tried power off option (after 2 mins, step on the brake pedal) and both screens went blank again. Has anyone experienced the same recently? I have a MS with MCU2

After 5 days, the dashboard screen is finally back online. This is just when I received a message on the app saying there is a software update 2020.8.1. I believe they f*cked it up in the last update. Hope things will work as usual with this new update.

It just happened today that both screens were blank. I did the power reset by holding down the scroll wheels and the infotainment screen came back after minutes of waiting but the dashboard screen was still blank. I then tried power off option (after 2 mins, step on the brake pedal) and both screens went blank again. Has anyone experienced the same recently? I have a MS with MCU2
You know there is a reset option for the IC (Instrument cluster) that is different than that for the MCU screen...

@bayarea_joe If you depress the buttons above the scroll real simultaneously (left and right), it will reset just the IC display above the steering wheel. Depress until the Tesla T logo appears on the screen and then release while it finishes reboot.

I did not mention that on purpose.
Reading the manual, or the "Do it yourself" section of the Tesla website, is a dying skill that needs to be exercised.

@bayarea_joe Might I ask why you disagreed with my post? I was just telling you how to reset the screen which can solve some problems as what you reported in your post was that you used the scroll wheel reset but did not make mention of the upper button reset. Was my post really rude and moronic? Was I coming off as an asshole? I've gone back and looked at my post
@bayarea_joe If you depress the buttons above the scroll real simultaneously (left and right), it will reset just the IC display above the steering wheel. Depress until the Tesla T logo appears on the screen and then release while it finishes reboot.
and can't see where I came off that way.

I have a MS with MCU1 and with my car being driven less, I have come out to the dashboard screen blank twice in the past week. The car can still drive and be put into gear with the blank screen. Two button reset did the trick, but it is odd behavior I have not seen before.

One interesting note is my Autopilot 1 was temporary unavailable until I power off'd the car in the menu when I got home. Go figure. Pulling over and putting the car in park was not doing the trick to reset autopilot. Visuals were fine.

I have a MS with MCU1 and with my car being driven less, I have come out to the dashboard screen blank twice in the past week. The car can still drive and be put into gear with the blank screen. Two button reset did the trick, but it is odd behavior I have not seen before.

One interesting note is my Autopilot 1 was temporary unavailable until I power off'd the car in the menu when I got home. Go figure. Pulling over and putting the car in park was not doing the trick to reset autopilot. Visuals were fine.

This got progressively worse. Turns out heat was slowly killing the 12v. Eventually died. Now that it is replaced, car is normal.

While this is true for MCU1, the OP explicitly stated that the car in question has MCU2, where IC and MCU reset together since both screens are driven from the MCU2 vs. with MCU1 the IC is an independent computer (which allows it to be reset independently).

Reactions: drklain