Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blank Screen - Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve had it happen once (maybe twice) in 5 months - on both occasions no idea what caused it, once was after it had been sitting for a few days, the other was after I had been driving it earlier in the day. Like you reset didn’t seem to have any affect but getting out the car and back in again miraculously caused it to come alive.

If the car is powered down fully and asleep it can take a while to wake up. Tesla seem to battle minimising vampire drain by making the car sleep deeper when it can (ie turn off more computers) and being responsive when you want it. Its why sometimes from the app it can also take a long time for the car to respond as its in deep sleep. The car also just gets confused from time to time.

Moderator comment - thread merged

Hi

I have a refreshed 2021 Model 3 LR which has covered around 600 miles since taking delivery in December.

Due to working from home etc, the car isn't getting used every day.

One day last week, as I got in the car, the screen came on but as soon as I pulled off the drive, the screen went blank, it was as if it had done a re-boot as a couple of minutes later, the Tesla logo appeared and all worked fine other than there was an error message saying that the SOS system required a Service appointment. Got to my destination and when coming home, the SOS error disappeared.

At the weekend, the exact same thing happened, the car hadn't been driven for a couple of days, screen off, SOS system error, get to destination, re-enter and no problem.

I haven't driven the car since, has anyone else had a similar problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

I have a refreshed 2021 Model 3 LR which has covered around 600 miles since taking delivery in December.

Due to working from home etc, the car isn't getting used every day.

One day last week, as I got in the car, the screen came on but as soon as I pulled off the drive, the screen went blank, it was as if it had done a re-boot as a couple of minutes later, the Tesla logo appeared and all worked fine other than there was an error message saying that the SOS system required a Service appointment. Got to my destination and when coming home, the SOS error disappeared.

At the weekend, the exact same thing happened, the car hadn't been driven for a couple of days, screen off, SOS system error, get to destination, re-enter and no problem.

I haven't driven the car since, has anyone else had a similar problem?
I've had my M3 around 18 Months now and I think it's happened to me twice so it is a 'thing' but if it happens repeatedly then I would book a Service Call.

Had the same issue. Picked up my car 31st December. It happened once and never happened again. Tesla couldn’t see anything in the system even though it said it needed service or something in the error. This happened after a software update. Can’t remember which one

Reactions: Danny Dog
Moderator comment - thread merged

Hi

I’ve noticed when I just I’m the car the screen is blank and the profiles aren’t activated.

I have to adjust the seat and drive with a blank screen and after 5 minutes it comes on.

Is there a quick solution to this?
What’s the quickest way to get a car out if the blank screen?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

I’ve noticed when I just I’m the car the screen is blank and the profiles aren’t activated.

I have to adjust the seat and drive with a blank screen and after 5 minutes it comes on.

Is there a quick solution to this?
What’s the quickest way to get a car out if the blank screen?
I‘d do a hard reset (buttons and brake). That’s a good starting point. Screen should come on when you get in and go off when you get out.

Reactions: M3noob
The brake pedal thing has been pretty much debunked .. there is no evidence it does anything.

We may be getting a bit closer to the bottom of this.

Had Tesla technical support on phone this morning - they knew their stuff. Specific instructions to do the brake + two button reset. I asked what the brake did - "its for security. The car can behave in an unpredictable way and this is additional security"

So I will be continuing to do a brake + 2 button reset, even if as far as the reset goes, it may not be any different to just the 2 button reset.

Had Tesla technical support on phone this morning - they knew their stuff. Specific instructions to do the brake + two button reset. I asked what the brake did - "its for security. The car can behave in an unpredictable way and this is additional security"

So I will be continuing to do a brake + 2 button reset, even if as far as the reset goes, it may not be any different to just the 2 button reset.
If I designed the system the first thing I'd check on boot is whether the brake pedal is pressed. If not I'd assume that the car might be in motion and skip any non-essential checks during start-up. If the pedal is pressed, then you can take your time and verify integrity etc.

Quote from another thread about repair delays. Replied here to prevent original thread going off topic.

The fault is apparently with the computer, so they need a new one. I do appreciate the shortages on silicon but they haven't given me any idea on when they expect the part, all I get when I reach out to them (as they have not contacted me) is that the part is on backorder and they will tell me when it is in.

As I assume they are still making M3s, so there are computers out there but they must be prioritising new cars over looking after existing customers; the only

With your computer fault, how did it manifest itself? Was it a blank display, no app/remote diagnostics communication but you still had access via key card/app to gain entry/lock the car?

Pretty much what I always thought ... pressing the brake is just to stop the car rolling away if everything goes off including the auto parking brake.

Interesting .. I would guess that the concern was during the reset there may be a risk that the cars low-level system misbehave, and foot on the brake pedal is always an override on (say) applying throttle. However, it does tend to confirm that the reset function that is performed is independent of the brake pedal application.

I had this issue on Saturday morning. Took about 5 minutes of rebooting, logos and black screens until I was able to drive.
When this happened a couple of months ago the S.C. downloaded the software again as it could have been a corrupts install. Have an appointment with the S.C. on Friday morning to have it looked at again. Not happy with this, but at least it wasn't while I was driving.

A Tesla tech called me already today and downloaded a new version of software to my car (2021.24.4) as there is a known issue with the WiFi module going into a boot loop. Hopefully this will sort the issue.

Can you please enlighten me please. What version was going into boot loop?

It would explain a few things and hopefully be reassuring if there is a known issue and fix. Our car is currently in the capable hands of Tesla due to seemingly 'car computer boot issue'.