Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

blank screen on 2019 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just bought a 2019 Model 3.
I've got a fairly reproducible problem, I was hoping some of you with 2019 builds could see if you can reproduce it.
Here's the setup:

Car is parked for 1 hour or more (Sentry must be turned off so the computer will go into sleep mode).
Launch the Tesla cellphone app, wait for the app to connect to the car, wait about 15 seconds then exit the app.
Wait 60 seconds then go open your car door.
Is your screen blank?
(the dual thumbwheel reboot trick will bring the screen back on every time)

I'd love to hear from everyone who tries this (2019 models only), regardless of if you get the blank screen or not.
Please state build date from doorjam sticker (mine is 7/2019), which version of AutoPilot Hardware you have if known (I've got HW3), which version of the app (mine is Android), which firmware version does your car have (I'm on 2019.28.2, but it also was happening with 2019.15.105), whether you got the blank screen or not, and any other details you think might be relevant.

If anyone can reproduce this then I'm going to send Tesla a link to this thread, so let's try to keep it short & clean. Thanks in advance for everyone's time who tries this for me.

more details:
door locked / doors unlocked, doesn't matter
charge cable plugged in / not plugged in, doesn't matter
WiFi / LTE, doesn't matter
driver's door / passenger door, doesn't matter
I always have bluetooth turned off on my phone when launching the app, and always been out of bluetooth range as well, but not sure if it matters or not.
When the issue presents itself my screen will be blank, but the car computer is working perfectly and the car is on. The stereo is playing, the A/C is blowing, I can change volume with the thumbwheel, I can guess where on the screen the Frunk button is and press there and the frunk will open, etc...
The screen will not turn on no matter how long I sit there in the car.
The thumbwheel reboot trick will clear things up and bring the screen on, but if I just shut the door and walk away without rebooting and let the car sit for another hour then the screen will be fine next time I come back to the car.

I haven’t gone through all those steps exactly but I do get the black screen some times, usually after fumbling with the Tesla app to wake the car... so it is possible this is the sequence.

I’ll try and remember to do a testz

Just got firmware 2019.28.3.1 today and still getting the blank screen if I run the app before opening the door. Also, it seems like the car only has to be parked for 15 minutes for the computer to go to sleep, not 30 minutes like I previously thought. Can anyone try this for me? Just wait at least 15 minutes since you last parked the car, then launch the cellphone app, wait for it to connect, wait a few more seconds then close the app, go open the door to the car. Blank screen?

You are asking if it is “normal” for your Model 3 display to go blank (“black out”) while driving?

No, that is not normal.

How often does it happen, and when it happens how long does it stay black?

When it is black have you tried rebooting the display? You can do this while driving. Press and hold both steering wheel buttons simultaneously for several seconds until you see something on the screen, then release.

I just got my car a few weeks ago and is in normal for the screen to black out.. It looks like its doing it more and more as I am driving?

Get your screen replaced ASAP. Mine along with few others' here had our screens replaced due to frequent black out, and never had a black out issue again. Make a mobile appointment and explain to the tech what is happening. Let him/her know that others experienced same issues and had their screens replaced. Mobile tech will bring a new screen and have it replaced. It took little less than an hour. Good luck.

I have similar problems. Almost daily when entering the car the screen stays black and I have to reboot.
The black screen can easily be triggered by using the app to remotely turn on climate or charging. Next time entering the car, screen stays black.
The M3 was delivered end of May, and several software updates later, no change at all.
I have sent a log of all incidents to Tesla. Now waiting for some feedback...
Current version 2019.28.31.1

I have similar problems. Almost daily when entering the car the screen stays black and I have to reboot.
The black screen can easily be triggered by using the app to remotely turn on climate or charging. Next time entering the car, screen stays black.
The M3 was delivered end of May, and several software updates later, no change at all.
I have sent a log of all incidents to Tesla. Now waiting for some feedback...
Current version 2019.28.31.1

As stated above, you need to have your screen replaced. I had the exact problem, and so did few others here on this forum. We all had our screens replaced and none of us have the screen blacking out anymore.

Sorry for my bad english :(

Im from South Korea and got my Model3 sr+ a week ago.
The firmware version is v10.1 (2019.36.2.1)
I am kind of happy that not only My model3 has exact same problem.
I contacted Tesla Korea today and waiting for an engineer team call.
Please check the symptom from the link below.

Sorry for my bad english :(

Im from South Korea and got my Model3 sr+ a week ago.
The firmware version is v10.1 (2019.36.2.1)
I am kind of happy that not only My model3 has exact same problem.
I contacted Tesla Korea today and waiting for an engineer team call.
Please check the symptom from the link below.

Since I'm Korean too, I just started a private conversation with you in Korean. Good luck!

Reactions: nvx1977
Two months later, the problem is still not solved.
Entered a Tesla service appointment
Cancelled by Tesla explaining that the next software update would solve the issue.
After update : issue not solved
Entered a new Tesla service appointment
Cancelled by Tesla explaining that the problem was caused by the SD card used for Sentry recordings
After removal : issue not solved

Now ready to enter a new Tesla service appointment...

Just bought a 2019 Model 3.
I've got a fairly reproducible problem, I was hoping some of you with 2019 builds could see if you can reproduce it.
Here's the setup:

Car is parked for 1 hour or more (Sentry must be turned off so the computer will go into sleep mode).
Launch the Tesla cellphone app, wait for the app to connect to the car, wait about 15 seconds then exit the app.
Wait 60 seconds then go open your car door.
Is your screen blank?
(the dual thumbwheel reboot trick will bring the screen back on every time)

I'd love to hear from everyone who tries this (2019 models only), regardless of if you get the blank screen or not.
Please state build date from doorjam sticker (mine is 7/2019), which version of AutoPilot Hardware you have if known (I've got HW3), which version of the app (mine is Android), which firmware version does your car have (I'm on 2019.28.2, but it also was happening with 2019.15.105), whether you got the blank screen or not, and any other details you think might be relevant.

If anyone can reproduce this then I'm going to send Tesla a link to this thread, so let's try to keep it short & clean. Thanks in advance for everyone's time who tries this for me.

I have a 2019 Mod 3 with HW3 dual motor, LR. Purchased June 2019. Software v 2020.24.6.9. Today came out and screen was blank. All other aspects seemed to work. I did a soft reset with the 2 thumb wheels, and the screen came on fine. It is a bit disconcerting though, especially if it happened to my wife or daughter. this is the first time I've experienced it.

I have a 2019 Mod 3 with HW3 dual motor, LR. Purchased June 2019. Software v 2020.24.6.9. Today came out and screen was blank. All other aspects seemed to work. I did a soft reset with the 2 thumb wheels, and the screen came on fine. It is a bit disconcerting though, especially if it happened to my wife or daughter. this is the first time I've experienced it.
Even without the screen, the car drives just fine. Blinkers still work (even if you don't hear the fake blinker noise). Autopilot even works. But to be safe, anyone who drives the car should know about the two finger salute.