Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blank screen reboot doesn't work, service closed?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We had an issue this week with the blank screen. Called into Roadside and they walked my wife thru the reboot. Holding both wheels, doing it again, etc. Still no screen, no AC, doing all kinds of weird electrical things. Called Roadside back it was a Friday afternoon, the local STL service center was going to call us back. No call. I called again to Roadside and they couldn't help us and now the STL service center was closed until Monday! Service is 250 miles away from us. I'm considering leaving tomorrow at 4:30 a.m. and driving it there. I have a few questions. Are most of the service centers closed on the weekends? Both the KC and STL ones are in our area, I had no idea and didn't think to ask. No one mentioned it to me when we purchased the car either. It's my wife's driver and I'm wondering if I take it up there tomorrow I'm going to be stuck or they will give me a loaner? Do you normally make appointments?

Help in Missouri

Ed

Last edited:
Eek... first, if you show up first thing, you have best crack at a loaner, if any. Since any non-committed ones won’t be gone yet.

Weekend work is dependent on the SvC and I guess it’s maybe in major metro areas like LA and DC? Definitely good to know the hours for yours.

Another thing to check is if your Service Center has online appointment scheduling. They are rolling this out now, check on your My Tesla page. Having an appt is better than just showing up, of course.

Weird that the MCU reboot and the national support line weren’t able to get you anywhere, good luck!

Eek... first, if you show up first thing, you have best crack at a loaner, if any. Since any non-committed ones won’t be gone yet.

Weekend work is dependent on the SvC and I guess it’s maybe in major metro areas like LA and DC? Definitely good to know the hours for yours.

Another thing to check is if your Service Center has online appointment scheduling. They are rolling this out now, check on your My Tesla page. Having an appt is better than just showing up, of course.

Weird that the MCU reboot and the national support line weren’t able to get you anywhere, good luck!

Should I be concerned I won't make it there? This car is doing some weird stuff. I did email the STL service center, but they must not also check email on the weekends either. . . . .

@eddieX do you by chance know if Tesla has a Mobile Technician responsible for your area? It may end up being a worse option given the urgency, but this is how we get service where we live. Ours is based ~90 miles away; we would normally go to his locale, but he's been to our house too.
Yeah, I don’t know why they didn’t offer this. We have no way of knowing what’s going on and support should have been able to advise on the stability of the car/ability to drive X miles.

Yeah, I don’t know why they didn’t offer this. We have no way of knowing what’s going on and support should have been able to advise on the stability of the car/ability to drive X miles.
Kinda off topic, but along these lines, it would be sweet to see a map where Tesla has Mobile Technicians. Would love to see it on their "Find Us" map w/SvC, SCs, and Stores.

Kinda off topic, but along these lines, it would be sweet to see a map where Tesla has Mobile Technicians. Would love to see it on their "Find Us" map w/SvC, SCs, and Stores.
Definitely. For example, I had no idea we in the DC/NoVa area had them until I was offered one during my recent power issue.

A map of their territories for those that aren’t near a SvC would be useful.

What exactly happened??

Wife came out from work, some alarm was going off. No screen, it's been 100 here and high humidity. She drove home and I called Roadside, they called her and walked her thru the re boot. Didn't work. The cars been having issue connecting to app and giving high heat alarms this week. I had a hard time to get the battery to move to trip so I could make the trip. It's at 277 miles now I should be ok unless it burns up battery on the way due to these issues.

@eddieX do you by chance know if Tesla has a Mobile Technician responsible for your area? It may end up being a worse option given the urgency, but this is how we get service where we live. Ours is based ~90 miles away; we would normally go to his locale, but he's been to our house too.

We are 250 miles away, I have no idea about mobile service. This is our first issue with the car since we purchased it this year.

It would be nice if they could of told me it was ok to drive, they asked her to drive it up. Mama won't drive that far with no AC, not going to happen. I guess I'll roll the dice and see what happens tomorrow when I show up at 7:00 a.m. I did ask when we purchased about service and how it worked and was told they would do a loaner car, come to us, etc. Friday they were not sure if that was an option.

Hmmm ..I have been using my Tesla’s in SoCal desert heat 115+ last several years don’t think I have ever seen heat alarm ..sounds like ur AC went out and couldn’t cool battery from the BMS ...just got back from my home in desert this weekend where the X was in 120+ heat ..I was getting interior temps of 160

Driving to service center now, wish me luck!

Attachments

• BF5607D8-98A6-46DF-B6FB-4637E0A89F8B.jpeg
    BF5607D8-98A6-46DF-B6FB-4637E0A89F8B.jpeg
    178.4 KB · Views: 63
Eeek hope you made it safely and without any additional issue.
Made it all good, charged up the car and got there at 7:00 a.m. they were expecting me from the email I sent service. Got the car right in, said it's a communication issue that won't be resolved quickly. Gave me a Model S P85D and sent me home. Called around 3:00 p.m. today and said they are working with Telsa engineer to resolve the issue. Still not sure what is going on. Will call with updates ASAP . I have to say the service side at the local dealership has been great. Also have mobile service and I didn't have to drive it up like I did.

Engineering helped clean out files, corrected files and screen is back on working. They did a courtesy inspection, trailered our X down and picked up the loaner. Lost home link and cars name.

Tonight the wife noticed the tuned in and streaming radio wasn't working, not sure if that's related or another issue. Have a call into service.