Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blank screens after MCU2 upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Forgive me if this has been discussed. I tried searching but it doesn’t seem exactly the same issue. Move if necessary.

2015 70D, AP1, LTE, 107k miles.

I upgrade from MCU 1 to MCU 2 with radio and both screens replaced. Now, EVERY time I get back into car after 30 mins or so, when not on a charger, both screens are black. After a few minutes the car “starts” and I can drive but the screens remain black. A few times the screen comes on after another few mins but usually after 5-10mins I give up and reset with the steering wheel buttons.

I returned it to Tesla (who also forgot to plug back in my hazards and glovebox to fix) and complained about the screens but they claim it’s the new firmware. This can’t be normal right? Anyone has figured out how to fix this?

Attachments

• 5A6AC0DA-8C51-47D9-B88D-25BAB3C26F71.jpeg
    5A6AC0DA-8C51-47D9-B88D-25BAB3C26F71.jpeg
    419.5 KB · Views: 200
Reactions: darbarr
Just an update if anyone else had similar problems with a MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade.

I scheduled service but was cancelled because they said it’s a firmware issue and could be solved OTA a month ago.

But it actually got worse, now it’s almost every time I leave the car for more than 30-60 minutes - both screens are blacked. Car can drive after a 1-3 mins and screens may or may not come back on without a reset. Afaik, no safety features work except head/tail lights, hazards, and horn (no signals or the other warning systems)

Doesn’t matter if plugged in or not, Bluetooth paired or not, factory reset, latest updates, battery level, but have noticed to the longer I’m away the worse the restart time is.

So I requested service again, even asked to MCU1 to be put back in if they can’t figured it out. Cars in shop now 🤞🏽

They did reattached the hazards and glovebox button (missed it after initial MCU2 upgrade) but ever since noticed the trunk wouldn’t close sometimes and one day it got stuck. Had to pull the emergency release and found 2 plastic tabs that were bent on the hatch portion. I have a feeling they didn’t install it correctly or messed with it during rear camera install?

We have a similar situation. 2014 S 80; "VCM to Upgrade eMMC" and LTE upgrade in March. There is an energy savings mode in settings>display. Turn that off, or turn it on and off. That solved the slow boot for my car.

The center display went black while supercharging last Sunday (5/8). Center display did not reboot until after multiple 4-finger (scroll wheels, top buttons, brake) and "wheel-config" resets. Center display has been working since Monday (5/9), but A/C is still not working. Tesla's "solve" is for me to pay $2k+ for the infotainment upgrade.

@Malujerry

I'm a bit confused with your description of the issue:

EVERY time I get back into car after 30 mins or so, when not on a charger, both screens are black.

When you get into your car and while screens are initially blank, aren't you able to drive the car?

After a few minutes the car “starts” and I can drive but the screens remain black.

What do you mean by the car "starts"?

@Malujerry

I'm a bit confused with your description of the issue:

When you get into your car and while screens are initially blank, aren't you able to drive the car?

What do you mean by the car "starts"?

Can unlock car with key fob, mobile unresponsive. But screens are blacks, car will not go into drive. After 1-3 minutes, headlights, horn, brake lights, windows/mirrors work and I can drive car - but nothing else works including turn signals or hazard lights. Then after another several minutes or sometimes never, the screens boot up and things are back to normal.

Forgive me if this has been discussed. I tried searching but it doesn’t seem exactly the same issue. Move if necessary.

2015 70D, AP1, LTE, 107k miles.

I upgrade from MCU 1 to MCU 2 with radio and both screens replaced. Now, EVERY time I get back into car after 30 mins or so, when not on a charger, both screens are black. After a few minutes the car “starts” and I can drive but the screens remain black. A few times the screen comes on after another few mins but usually after 5-10mins I give up and reset with the steering wheel buttons.

I returned it to Tesla (who also forgot to plug back in my hazards and glovebox to fix) and complained about the screens but they claim it’s the new firmware. This can’t be normal right? Anyone has figured out how to fix this?

I’m having exactly same issue after “upgrading” MCU1 to MCU2 at their recommendation. It’s been back in for service for over a week with virtually no communication. They say they are doing diagnostics.

I had this happen a couple time as well. And it was when I forgot to plug the car in when I got home. In my scenario, I got in the car and as OP stated, all screens were blank but the car was "functioning", i.e., HVAC on, car making familiar start up sounds, etc. I couldn't drive cause I couldn't enter my "pin to drive". Double soft reset and screens came back.

Happened again the next morning but this time car WAS plugged in and it didn't charge overnite and I was stuck at 9%. That sucked and I started to get concerned. But I manually charged back up to norms and after a firmware update or two, problem has not returned.