Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blank Touchscreen, no Nav, Phone etc. ??????

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went out to the car today (late 2015 P90D 27K mikes) and the drivers screen said, "Please wait for your Tesla to Power Up." I waited 3-4 minutes and the screen in front of the steering wheel came up. But no touchscreen.
I tried the brake and holding in the 2 wheels on the steering wheel. No change or reset.

I called Tesla and they actually answered. That is rare in So. Cal.

He said the MCU is out. Not the 12Volt battery since it was replaced. He wants it brought in to a service center.

I have purchased the extra 4 years of warrantee so I would guess it is a $200 deductible.

Is it possible this happened from the recent update of a few days ago?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

MCU2 is much faster and robust and won’t fail again in the same way.

That said, it’s very unlikely they will replace your MCU1 with MCU2 under the ESA. You’ll get like for like parts (ie a new or remanufactured MCU1).

If you want MCU2 you’ll need to pay the $2500 upgrade charge.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
One member advised to get the MCU 2 as it would be the same deductible. Thanks for the advice.

What is the difference between the 1 and 2?

Just add to @ucmndd, for $2,500 MCU2 upgrade also includes the instrument panel screen replacement as well. Some also report that it should also include the central screen replacement although others say no.

MCU2 has 4 times the memory that MCU1 does so it should extend longevity too.

I went out to the car today (late 2015 P90D 27K mikes) and the drivers screen said, "Please wait for your Tesla to Power Up." I waited 3-4 minutes and the screen in front of the steering wheel came up. But no touchscreen.
I tried the brake and holding in the 2 wheels on the steering wheel. No change or reset.

I called Tesla and they actually answered. That is rare in So. Cal.

He said the MCU is out. Not the 12Volt battery since it was replaced. He wants it brought in to a service center.

I have purchased the extra 4 years of warrantee so I would guess it is a $200 deductible.

Is it possible this happened from the recent update of a few days ago?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
welcome to mcu failure

I have a 2019 Model X with about 5000 miles. Today, I drove it, everything seemed normal. 4 hours later I started to drive it again but the dash and information screen are black. I tried a reset, by applying the brake and pressing down on the scroll buttons on the steering wheel.The dash and information screens are still black. Anyone have a similar problem? Any advice?

WERID ENDING!! They found that the most recent update jammed the cars systems and took out the MCU. I had my car towed in and they said (after a few hours) NO CHARGE. I will pick it back up this week.

I have seen several MCU1 units go into what appears to be a failure only to come back on their own days later. My car included I thought my center screen died but the car would continue to drive and charge I just didn't have any accessories but to my surprise about 3 days later I noticed the T pop up on my center touch screen It proceeded to boot and come to life and then within an hour or so wanted to do an update which I installed at that time haven't had any problems since. Oddly enough my local service technicians immediately said that my only recourse was to replace the unit and that it had failed. Apparently that wasn't the case. The replacement would have been approximately a $2,000 cost to me since I'm totally out of warranty. I'm glad I didn't do it.

I have a 2019 Model X with about 5000 miles. Today, I drove it, everything seemed normal. 4 hours later I started to drive it again but the dash and information screen are black. I tried a reset, by applying the brake and pressing down on the scroll buttons on the steering wheel.The dash and information screens are still black. Anyone have a similar problem? Any advice?

They found that the most recent update jammed the cars systems and took out the MCU. I had my car towed in and they said (after a few hours) NO CHARGE. I will pick it back up this week. Just give them a call. It might be able to be reset remotely.

I've been experiencing alot of blank screens,and glitching random reboots with my MCU1. Tesla remote technician is saying that it's a software issue. But for me this has been happening for the following software, so I'm very doubtful.
2020.16.2.1 e99c70ff > 2020.20.1 552e776937 > 2020.20.17 301e3e6ef

Additionally the MCU will reboot while driving aswell.. unfortunately no option to replace with MCU2 in the UK.

Car is still under warranty but no idea why they won't sort it. But guess I have to respect the process

The reason that everyone is casting about for answers but can't find any is simple:
Your cars are haunted.

What you have to do is get to the nearest Catholic church, and drive around it three times clockwise, then three times counterclockwise. If there are any barriers in the way you must not stop, just drive through them or your situation will get much, much worse,

• Funny
Reactions: nikhon
This type of intermittent glitchiness seems to be precursor to MCU1 failure, but it may take some time.

Agree. It might happen the next time the MCU1 is has a update. I understand when an update occurs, a different partition in the EMMC is used. If that partition is to corrupted to load, you will get a blank screen.

The next reboot or reset will occur on the other partition.

For the OP;

You emmc is in the early steps of dying. I think you will find more explanations in one of the thousands of posts on this subject.