Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BLASTED

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My local biggish petrol station has nothing, even after restricting people to £30. The cashier told me that there was a fight because someone filled up some containers (bearing in mind they couldn’t buy more than £30 anyway), and it turned out that the guy was a landscape gardener so needed it for work.

I just queued for ~40 minutes on the outskirts of Keynsham just to get past the queue for the small Esso garage there.

It’s pretty crazy out there and I’d suggest that if you’re driving past stations with no queues it’s because they have no fuel.
The traffic around the stations I mentioned was horrendous until they ran dry. Whilst we haven't gone looking, I'd imagine that you can tell if a station has any fuel based on whether or not you see lines of cars waiting.

Reactions: Durzel
If the sensationalist media reported it correctly in the first place saying it was no shortage and just a few supply issues meaning you may if your unlucky need to go to a different garage to fill up then there wouldn't be an issue. But nothing gets viewers or readers like a "Crisis" and then the panic buying ensues
Based on what I see in my local area of no stations with any fuel left, we will have to agree to disagree. Unless you're suggesting people filled their tanks just to leave their cars parked up and unused. It's hard to buy more fuel than fits in your tank and most people need their cars to run to go about their daily lives. Hopefully the situation is resolved soon.

Reactions: Durzel
No queue at my Local Tesco garage albeit all pumps in use. As for what will fit in a tank - there are these weird contingency thingies I have called jerry cans which i use for the fuel for chainsaws and small mower. The rest of the kit runs on Red and I keep a 200L drum of that on hand..

It’s a shame some people are stockpiling it, but appealing to people’s good nature and consideration for their fellow man/woman assumes they have a conscience to appeal to in the first place.

This, like the toilet rolls, hand sanitiser, etc before (and the fact that stuff ended up on eBay) just exposes a significant minority of people for the borderline psychopaths that they are.

To me that’s worse than the actual shortage, being reminded of how F**k You Got Mine some people can be, even in a mild crisis. An actual apocalyptic scenario would see people being straight up run over on forecourts I imagine.

So how well will your panels and powerwall cope with charging a Tesla mid-winter with overcast weather? You might want a loan of my 7.5KW Genny (belt, braces and sticky tape and safety pins):D

Well, not really.

In Winter we charge our Powerwalls and EV overnight on cheap rate (or whenever Grid becomes available).

As we work from home, a full charge in the car will last weeks... a full charge on the Powerwalls can last days.

So we're all good 😁👍🤩

... plus we still have Gas Supply to the house, and a Petrol car we can set on fire to keep warm 😁

• Funny
Reactions: 15Peter20
No queue at my Local Tesco garage albeit all pumps in use. As for what will fit in a tank - there are these weird contingency thingies I have called jerry cans which i use for the fuel for chainsaws and small mower. The rest of the kit runs on Red and I keep a 200L drum of that on hand..

I also have weird petrol can contingency thingies...

One is called a BMW R1200 GSA
One is called a Honda Africa Twin
One is called a Suzuki 1250 Bandit

Quite versatile petrol cans actually

It’s a shame some people are stockpiling it, but appealing to people’s good nature and consideration for their fellow man/woman assumes they have a conscience to appeal to in the first place.

This, like the toilet rolls, hand sanitiser, etc before (and the fact that stuff ended up on eBay) just exposes a significant minority of people for the borderline psychopaths that they are.

To me that’s worse than the actual shortage, being reminded of how F**k You Got Mine some people can be, even in a mild crisis. An actual apocalyptic scenario would see people being straight up run over on forecourts I imagine.
Read the article I linked. People are generally not like that and don't behave in the way that the media depicts. Lots of psychological studies show that the vast majority of people behave exactly as you or I would. The media on the other hand...

They are also repeatedly being TOLD that there is no shortage of fuel, and supply problems would be averted if people filled up normally. The panic buyers obviously have selective hearing.
Not according to the front pages of the newspapers:

Screenshot 2021-09-28 at 15.34.49.png

Based on what I see in my local area of no stations with any fuel left, we will have to agree to disagree. Unless you're suggesting people filled their tanks just to leave their cars parked up and unused. It's hard to buy more fuel than fits in your tank and most people need their cars to run to go about their daily lives. Hopefully the situation is resolved soon.

My understanding is that this situation kicked off last week with around 30 to 40 forecourts (out of around 8,400 nationally) running out of fuel due to HGV driver shortages. The media picked this up (following briefings by some with a vested interest in whipping up any frenzy related to HGV driver shortages!) who then want on to sensationalise the situation, thereby manufacturing an actual crisis that did not exist previously.

Had this not initially been reported in the way that it was by the media, people would have carried on with their usual refilling regimes and we would simply not be in the situation we are in today. We may of course have ended up here at a later date, but who really knows!?

Reactions: |Chris| and init6
Had this not initially been reported in the way that it was by the media, people would have carried on with their usual refilling regimes and we would simply not be in the situation we are in today.

It would spread around social media within minutes and the same people blaming the media now, would be blaming the media that it's not being reported.

We'd be in the same place right now.

Reactions: KennethS
It would spread around social media within minutes and the same people blaming the media now, would be blaming the media that it's not being reported.

We'd be in the same place right now.

Im not convinced. I reckon 30 to 40 forecourts being out of fuel (out of around 8,400 nationally) would have largely gone unnoticed had it not been reported as a crisis. It may have caused a handful of local Facebook groups to get excited, but those forecourts would have been replenished relatively quickly.

The issue was simply massively overstated when first reported.

Of course eventually things may have naturally got worse over time, but much more slowly allowing time to put mitigating measures in place.

Reactions: init6
Most power cuts are short lived. But im sure petrol stations need power to pump fuel into cars. 🙂

Well, you're looking into the past here, when Powercuts were caused at Substations. Blown fuses or worn out operating hardware.

But theres a new hazzard on the block... EV Chargers.

EV Chargers increase the constant load through to a house by up to 1600%... for hours at a time.

There seems to be a lot of misguided people fitting EV Chargers to their homes without getting DNO approval first.

The reason you need DNO approval first is because of the multiplying extra loads within your street, as more and more EV Chargers are added.

Cable infrastructure in a lot of housing estates is designed on pre-WW2 cabling demands, and not designed for mass adoption of EV Charging & Heat Pumps.

Cables frying, means they have to dig up streets to replace them, a huge undertaking, even if they have the resources and funds... this can take days.

Localised Blackouts of the future may not be for just minutes 👍👍 ... especially if backlogs start and resources or funding becomes an issue...

Last edited:
To be fair to the DNO’s a street without power gets sorted pretty quick. My street cable replace in 2 days from it blowing, tarmac and all.

I agree, and again, that's in the past.

I had dealings with my DNO for about 6 months through the Pandemic, hindered by lockdowns.

I saw his workload increase x10 in those months, and that was just for authorised 'looped supply' replacements for authorised EV Charger installs.

They were absolutely flat out... I called him one day and he had 25 tabs open on his laptop and 75 jobs on the go.

I also noted it was the same team who dug up our street, digging up another street a few weeks later fixing an outage (failed cabling)... so I dread to think what the future holds...

It cost them about £7500 to fix our house... it must cost them £1000's per job... who's going to literally pay for all this work??

I honestly think they're dreading it as well.

• Informative
Reactions: NewbieT
The electric bills are all going up then, even if they treat it as capital work and borrow the money. Great!
It's part of gov's new strategy, make it too expensive for people to use fuel thus meeting climate targets. The wealthy will invest in solar power and batteries to save gov subsidies on green stuff and the elderly will retire at 70 and die of hypothermia (well those few that managed to survive covid) this saving on pensions. More money for vanity projects and brown envelopes. Win-win for gov, hurrah!