TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Blaupunkt Subwoofer Amp configuration

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by marco2228, Jan 24, 2015.

1. marco2228

marco2228 Roadster Signature #34

Does anyone know if there's a possibility to configure the Blaupunkt amplifier (in the passenger footroom) for the subwoofer in the Roadster?

When I listen to quiet music, there's almost no bass. But the more I turn up the music, the more the bass level rises.
    Lets assume, the increase of the sound level is linear, then the subwoofer level seems to increase exponentially...

Of course, the headunit has an equalizer, but it can just set a static gain for different frequencies.

2. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

Which head-unit are your running?

3. marco2228

Had the JVC, which came with the roadster. Changed it for a Alpine CDE-185BT which already has a way better sound quality, but also has this strange bass behavior as a side effect.

4. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

Gotcha. I had the Blaupunkt originally, liked it since it compensated for road noise automatically as you increased speed. It also had bass, mid, treble, as well as a fine tuned mode where you can adjust all the individual frequency responses. Only issue was that their UI sucked big time, all those settings were so buried that you'd end up in an accident adjusting them while driving down the road. I put a Nacamichi head unit in which ad more watts outputted to the 4 speakers, it made the Blaupunkt stock speakers come alive. They really needed more power to drive them properly and respond quick rather than produce slop with an under powered head unit.

Did your 1.5 come with the factory subwoofer?

5. marco2228

Yes, there was a factory subwoofer in the 1.5.
    I don't know if we are speaking of the same thing.
    Now I have the Alpine headunit, which is driving the mid/treble speakers. There's also a Blaupunkt amp in the passengers footroom connected to it, which is only driving the sub.

Or do you think the headunit itself needs more power to drive the mid and treble speakers properly?
    Might be, but I think the output power of the alpine is enough, the sound is very clear.

6. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

I guess I'm a little surprised your not getting enough bass out of your sub, the Roadster I was in had a sufficient amount of bass but that was a 2.0 car.

As for adjusting the output, from posts I've read the amps don't have a gain to adjust. The closest thing you'd have is the subwoofer output / gain that's adjusted from the head unit, and that's only if your JVC supplies it.

As for the power of the head unit, that was only something I came across with my head unit which made it sound better and produce more bass, nothing like a subwoofer, but better than stock. I don't have the sound package so no tweaters in the door and no sub.

7. marco2228

Ok, I think I might buy a new sub amplifier. The Blaupunkt, as you mentioned, has no possibility to be configured.
    The sub does have enough bass, but it just doesn't "fit" to the mid and treble volume.

At quiet music, the bass is to low, at loud music, the bass is too loud. So the gain of the sub amplifier has to be lower, but the overall (offset) bass volume has to be higher.

Hope that doesn't sound too confusing:D

Except for that the sound is really good:)