Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blended Brakes, yes or no?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

McRat

Jan 20, 2016
LA
Does the Model 3 have blended brakes?

Thanks in advance.

Blended brakes are a system where the brake pedal controls regen. As you push the brake pedal harder, kW meter goes more and more negative.

I’d add that it DOES regen even while you depress the brake pedal, as indicated on the screen. This starts to happen as soon as you lift your foot off the accelerator, so it’s actually blending two means of deceleration, but in a much simpler way than a Prius does.

As a two time Prius owner, I really didn’t think highly of this until I tried it. After 3 days with my Model 3, I now believe Tesla’s system is superior because it’s simpler, safer and even more comfortable to drive!

• Disagree
Reactions: Pkmmte
I’d add that it DOES regen even while you depress the brake pedal, as indicated on the screen. This starts to happen as soon as you lift your foot off the accelerator, so it’s actually blending two means of deceleration, but in a much simpler way than a Prius does.

As a two time Prius owner, I really didn’t think highly of this until I tried it. After 3 days with my Model 3, I now believe Tesla’s system is superior because it’s simpler, safer and even more comfortable to drive!

Blended is when you push the brake, it keeps upping the regen until it can't go higher and then it has to add some friction brakes.

The blended brakes tend to excel in stop and go traffic, especially when the brake pedal is needed.

Blended is when you push the brake, it keeps upping the regen until it can't go higher and then it has to add some friction brakes.

The blended brakes tend to excel in stop and go traffic, especially when the brake pedal is needed.
With the i-booster they could do blended brakes (ACC can come to a complete stop in stop and go traffic). They probably choose not to as to not have another software system they have to get the right feel for.

The system is simple, when you lift completely off the accelerator it goes to full regen. Pressing the brake just adds friction braking on top of the regen braking. This makes the braking feel very consistent.

Coming from the Prius and then the Xebra, I felt that Tesla's system was decidedly inferior... until I'd been driving the Roadster for about five minutes. That's how long it took me to fall in love with having the regen on the go pedal. The only difference with the Model 3 is that its regen is weaker than the Roadster's. On the 3 you can select Normal or Low regen. I'd like another choice, for More regen.

The Xebra had no regen at all. With no foot on either pedal it was free-wheeling. I actually liked that at the time. Less efficient but I liked the way it felt. (Until I got the Roadster, that is.)

Coming from the Prius ...
The only difference with the Model 3 is that its regen is weaker than the Roadster's. On the 3 you can select Normal or Low regen. I'd like another choice, for More regen.

I hear ya. I'd also like a "more" region setting too! I explain it to friends just before their first drive as "like like engine-braking on a stick-shift", and they get it right away. They fall in love in under 1 minute!