Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blendmount radar mount doesn't work for model Y :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

stactum

2020 Model Y Performance
Aug 24, 2020
Sussex, WI
Although you can enter the details and get the Blendmount that suppose to fit, it won't. The stem space between the mirror and cover is too small and so far I don't know if Blendmount will revise the design. While it looks absolutely incredible I had to return mine and went back to stock suction cups for my R3.

Fits fine without cover:
IMG_7173.JPG

But too little space when the cover gets back in place:
IMG_7174.JPG

So went back to a basic install with a mirror tap. I hope Blendmount figures something out. While it's expensive I absolutely loved the clean look it provides.
IMG_7172.JPG

IMG_7177.JPG

nice! Glad we can hard wire our radar detector with a mirror tap. Did you get one specific for the MY or it doesn't matter since it has the power?

What colors were the hot and ground ?

Also, it looks like you removed the center dome lights. Did you have a tutorial for this or is it simple?

Thanks!

Although you can enter the details and get the Blendmount that suppose to fit, it won't. The stem space between the mirror and cover is too small and so far I don't know if Blendmount will revise the design. While it looks absolutely incredible I had to return mine and went back to stock suction cups for my R3.

Fits fine without cover:
View attachment 591006

But too little space when the cover gets back in place:
View attachment 591007

So went back to a basic install with a mirror tap. I hope Blendmount figures something out. While it's expensive I absolutely loved the clean look it provides.
View attachment 591010

View attachment 591012
Clean finish with the mirror tap! Would love to see details and what’s was needed.

Reactions: everydaychris

I had the same experience of not fitting. When the RMA was requested I was told they "dont make one for the Tesla Y, not sure how you slipped through the system" my reply was I input my vehicle and it said it fit.

A note of caution if you do return it. I didnt include the original box as they made me pay shipping for their mistake. I used a smaller box to save on shipping and was penalized $5 for not returning the original box AND stuffing. It was gonna cost $4.00 more to ship with the bigger box so I guess its a wash. Still don't feel I should have paid for shipping when they said it would fit.

JaC

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Sorry I didn't take too many pictures, but the overall approach was the following:
Got a generic mirror-tap wire from Amazon (or you can find other places). I got the one with small and larger contacts just in case.
  1. Even smaller contacts were too big for the harness so I clipped them and soldered sowing needles and put shrink tubes over (see pic). With needles, it's easy to insert/remove as needed. The colors in my harness were different from YouTube videos
    1. Purple (as shown): Hot
    2. Black (on the other side, not the same side as purple): Ground
tesla mirror harness.png

Here are 2 videos on how to remove rearview mirror trim and dome light. This is for Model 3 but works for Y.

Trim and MIrror Removal:

Dome Light Removal:

Hope this helps!

So since it is tapped into the lights, does this leave the radar on ALL the time, and not just when the car is awake? So to turn "off" the radar you need to turn off the power to the radar directly? I have a V1 that I would like to hook up hardwired....and I know on ICE cars, it would be off when the car was off, and turn on when you turned the car on, so it would keep the "volume" levels....does this do that or does it have to be manually turned on and off?

• Disagree
Reactions: garu
I'm still figuring this out. I have Uniden R3 and it has the "Battery Protection" mode which turns the radar off after 30 mins of inactivity. I had to manually turn it on so my understanding it's constant 12 V.
Doesn't really bother me as it's easy to access the power button to turn it on or off.

I will attempt to take a picture and upload. I just took off the plastic shroud and shaved it down a quarter inch to allow more play for the plastic piece coming down the center for the mirror arm. I lease my Tesla’s so I would say that I spent a lot of time trying to clean up my Dremel work. Said differently, those of you with more patience could make it look a lot cleaner.

Reactions: BodegaBay
Looking forward to the pics as well!

I just spoke to a rep at Blendmount and the news for a custom MY mount isn't looking good.

"Customer Service: That stem on the Y mirror is tapered, the designers have no solution for it. some Y owners use our 4014 version, but it's not a great fit.

Customer Service: That stem has a taper so the mount just slides toward the mirror"

So if we can make the model 3 mount work with a little diy mod that would be awesome! TIA

OK. No criticism on my Dremel skills. I simply didn’t care for perfection as it was hidden and it is a leased car. As you can see in the last pic (where I circled the area) is that the small shroud really isn’t the problem. However, it worked for me because it allowed some additional play with the larger shroud piece that comes straight down in front of the mirror stem. I bet if one simply made a clean cut in the blue area on the piece of the upper shroud that I circled, the M3 mount will fit no problem.

15B474B9-8B70-40D8-B019-C5ABE831CFD6.jpeg
9F5A312F-0E6A-4D6E-9BFF-66EA29EFC741.jpeg

15B474B9-8B70-40D8-B019-C5ABE831CFD6.jpeg

Attachments

• 15011458-C476-471B-BCA5-833D2B65363B.jpeg
    15011458-C476-471B-BCA5-833D2B65363B.jpeg
    420.1 KB · Views: 133
Reactions: CaptJaC