Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blew one tire on a 2020 M3P. OK, to replace just one axle?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks,

I did a bit of reading here, but didn't see this edge case yet. I hit a monster pot hole and blew a front tire today on my 2020 M3P. They're the Michelin Pilot Sport 235/35 ZR20's. Rims look OK. Best would be to replace just the one tire with a Tesla OEM tire I think, but it's pretty much impossible to get through on the phone to a Tesla service center around here and they aren't responding.

Failing that, is it permissible to replace both tires on just the front axle and leave the OEM's on the rear? I don't really want to replace all four as the car has only about ~8K on it and the tires have plenty of beef left still.

What would you do? Thanks for your thoughts, and will continue to look here,,
Ian

Hi folks,

I did a bit of reading here, but didn't see this edge case yet. I hit a monster pot hole and blew a front tire today on my 2020 M3P. They're the Michelin Pilot Sport 235/35 ZR20's. Rims look OK. Best would be to replace just the one tire with a Tesla OEM tire I think, but it's pretty much impossible to get through on the phone to a Tesla service center around here and they aren't responding.

Failing that, is it permissible to replace both tires on just the front axle and leave the OEM's on the rear? I don't really want to replace all four as the car has only about ~8K on it and the tires have plenty of beef left still.

Ian
I am a little confused, so pardon my stupidity.

You only blew one tire right? Why would you replace both of the front if they only have 8K miles on them with different a type? Tesla isn't the only place to buy tires, and they overcharge for basic alignment (which you would probably want after what happened and after putting on new tires). I suggest you go to discount tire or a related place and see what they say.

Hi folks,

Ian
Depends really on your actual wear on the tire on the same axle. I had a tire popped at around the same miles and Tesla looked at my other tire and said it was still good to just install one tire. I have the 18" aeros so it might be different though.

FYI you can always call roadside assistance, that gets you through quickly. That's what I did and they were able to get me a loaner wheel and also schedule a drop in appointment (it was on weekend and back then SCs were closed on weekends).

I did only blow one tire, but if I can't get one of the same to replace it, I'll have to replace both on the front axle since I can't have two different tires from side to side on the same axle...
Tesla usually stocks the common stock tires (when I went from my drop in appointment, they had whole racks of them). You can also call around various tire shops near you to see if they stock any. Sometimes they do because Teslas are quite popular now.

Reactions: tm1v2
Finally got a call back from Tesla; they wanted tire rack prices for the tire alone, but over $500 per tire mounted and balanced. I thought about about it but that would lock me into another 4-500$ should this happen again. Went for a pair of Falken FK460's for the front axle instead. $344 for the pair, but they'll take a week to get here. Marooned... :-/

America's tire usually has the stock OEM Michelins on the shelf or can get them same-day from a nearby store. Though it sounds like Tesla is offering similar pricing. But how do they get from "Tire Rack pricing" of $388 to "over $500"? Are they just offering extra unnecessary stuff like valve stems or something? Anyway, no reason to replace more than just one. And if you're worried about the next pothole, Tire Rack includes 2 years of road hazard insurance for free and America's Tire is now a subsidiary. Price should be $420 after tax plus another $25 for installation for a final total of $445 out the door.

By the way, the handling might be a little weird with cheap all-seasons on one axle and ultra high performance summer tires on the other.

Last edited:
"But how do they get from "Tire Rack pricing" of $388 to "over $500"?"

Mounting, balancing & the Tesla tax I imagine...

"And if you're worried about the next pothole, Tire Rack includes 2 years of road hazard insurance for free"

Didn't read the fine print on the site, but very good to know. Thx.

"handling might be a little weird with cheap all-seasons on one axle and ultra high performance summer tires on the other."

I know it's not an optimal situation, but just until the last 2 OEM's reach end of life. $400+ tires are not sustainable if this keeps happening...

I know it's not an optimal situation, but just until the last 2 OEM's reach end of life. $400+ tires are not sustainable if this keeps happening...
It’s happened once?

If you want to be a betting person, you can go to discount tire and buy the warranty certificates even on OEM tires.

Replace 0 during the lifetime, house wins. Replace 1, roughly a tie. Replace 3+ and you win.

"It’s happened once?"

Bent a rim on CA's excellent freeways last year also, although luckily the tire survived. Interesting thought RE: buying warranties on used OEM tires. Suppose it would depend on what they cost...
Discount Tire will sell the warranty certificate based on the discount tire price of the tire. If you consider the cost for all 4 tires and they require to purchase a certificate on a replacement, it roughly comes out to paying for one extra tire. Is't about 20% the cost of the tires.

Reactions: ianc
I am a little confused, so pardon my stupidity.

You only blew one tire right? Why would you replace both of the front if they only have 8K miles on them with different a type? Tesla isn't the only place to buy tires, and they overcharge for basic alignment (which you would probably want after what happened and after putting on new tires). I suggest you go to discount tire or a related place and see what they say.
You don't change one tire, you would change a minimum 2 on the same axle. Unless of course if the tire that popped is brand new.