Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blew something up in the rear!…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Service techs working on commission? That makes no sense. And I haven't seen anything that indicates that the service advisors work on commission either. Sales advisors can get bonuses for selling certainly inventory vehicles (or at least, used to) but I've seen nothing about service advisors. Got a link?
Just for an FYI for those that don't know. Tesla service techs work on Flat Rate. For those that don't know what flat rate is: There is a schedule that says how long a task should take. for example remove and replace left front damper, the flat rate schedule may say .75 hours. (not a real number, just for example).

Tesla pays each tech an hourly rate based on the flat rate schedule. So in the example above, if it takes the tech .75 hours, they will get paid .75 hours of their hourly rate. If the tech can do the job in .5 hours, they still get paid .75 hours, if it takes them 1 hour they still get paid .75 hours.

A good tech can make way more than 8 hours of pay in an 8 hour day, a slow tech not so much. For this reason the techs like the jobs where they can complete it in less than the flat rate schedule, and hate jobs that that usually take longer.

Below is a cut and paste from the flat rate schedule for the Model Y: In this case they tech gets paid .4 hours of their hourly rate.

31153602 Damper - Rear - LH (Remove & Replace) 0.4 Model Y

Just for an FYI for those that don't know. Tesla service techs work on Flat Rate. For those that don't know what flat rate is: There is a schedule that says how long a task should take. for example remove and replace left front damper, the flat rate schedule may say .75 hours. (not a real number, just for example).

Tesla pays each tech an hourly rate based on the flat rate schedule. So in the example above, if it takes the tech .75 hours, they will get paid .75 hours of their hourly rate. If the tech can do the job in .5 hours, they still get paid .75 hours, if it takes them 1 hour they still get paid .75 hours.

A good tech can make way more than 8 hours of pay in an 8 hour day, a slow tech not so much. For this reason the techs like the jobs where they can complete it in less than the flat rate schedule, and hate jobs that that usually take longer.

Below is a cut and paste from the flat rate schedule for the Model Y: In this case they tech gets paid .4 hours of their hourly rate.

Most shops use a flat rate these days, not just Tesla. And that's not a new thing.

But my point was that they don't get commissions for upselling, at least not that I have seen.

bfayer62: Thanks for the clarification. I always bristle at the derogatory "stealership" moniker, as I've known dozens of dealer techs that do great work. Many folk just don't fully understand that dealer SERVICE departments pay the bills, NOT the (questionable!) sales staff. If service departments fold, dealerships have to close.

For sure, dealer management can get in the way with "stealership" attitudes, pushing lube, paint protection, fabric guard gimmicks. I avoid these dealerships at all costs, but fully support those dealerships that are worthy.

It always helps to get to know the Service Director/Manager when you buy a car, before you engage in any dealings. You can tell by the Service Director's attitude if the shop is worthy. I got to know my local Tesla Service Center staff before I took delivery. Hopefully, when (!) I need service, I'll be treated fairly and honestly.

Last edited:
I know it's "thread drift", but thought I'd add...

I've followed the same Service Director to 3 different dealerships in the past 9 years. When his employer(s) tried to restrict or limit his straight-forward and strict management style (no BS!), he cut his losses and quit. I'm awaiting news from him where he'll end up this time! FYI, his excellent techs liked working for him. The lazy ones hated him.

Reactions: JonB65 and Z_Lynx
Soo they’re replacing the whole rear drive unit now… guessing they cant figure out what’s wrong. Wonder how long I’m gonna be out of my car. I got lucky with the loaner tho. Besides the fact I look like a 70 year old man in the grey model s, the p100d is fun for sure. Even tho it’s got 3 245 tires on it and 1 235 In the rear 🤦🏼‍♂️ should be 275 in the rear I think. And probably all the same brand tire too lmao

Reactions: mm9351

Seems like a good way to incentivize cutting corners by unscrupulous techs.

Holy *sugar*, Schnitz. An employee gets paid a living wage "because they gotta feed their family", and you call that, "...the customer gets screwed..."?????

I'll never understand the whining of any/all of us when the system of "Free Enterprise" and Capitalism (earnings for investors) is working.
You misunderstand. They DON'T get paid a living wage. They get paid much like waiters do. A lower base salary PLUS commission on top. If you think the current system is working you're not part of the demographic being paid a 'living wage'.

Service techs working on commission? That makes no sense. And I haven't seen anything that indicates that the service advisors work on commission either. Sales advisors can get bonuses for selling certainly inventory vehicles (or at least, used to) but I've seen nothing about service advisors. Got a link?
You think a dealership puts up 'links' about their compensation packages? Of course they don't. If you haven't been a part of any specific industry it's normal to be ignorant of the standard practices within that industry. Guess what? I've been involved in this industry for over 25 years.

Reactions: jsight
This has been standard practice in this industry for at least the last 20 years. You will find a dealership here and there that is honest and reliable but they are very very few & far between. Techs get experience at a dealership right out of school and then they go out on their own because they get tired of the nonsense of being screwed by the owners of the dealership. Again, this has been the norm as long as I can remember.

Not really. Auto service techs live and die by their reputation.
Shoddy work does not make your boss money. If a vehicle comes back, the shop usually ends up spending more than they made on the job thd first time, and they are already close to loosing a customer because of it.

If you don't make money for your employer, and you don't bring the customer back, you go away pretty quickly.

Also, it keeps techs from dragging out simple jobs, just to earn more hours.

It's really the best balance between the shop owner, the customer, and the tech.

You think a dealership puts up 'links' about their compensation packages? Of course they don't. If you haven't been a part of any specific industry it's normal to be ignorant of the standard practices within that industry. Guess what? I've been involved in this industry for over 25 years.
Good for you. You work for Tesla, then, I guess, since you seem to know so much about them? I guess there is zero chance they might have a different model?

Just another forum nOOb with great 'knowledge'. Thanks for stopping by.

😂😂 typical fanboi. Because I don't have 1000 posts on THIS site I must not know about cars. I've built more cars and forgot more about them than you'll ever know.
My current collection. The last is a 6.0L LS swap that I have rebuilt with my own hands from the ground up. 🤡🤡🤡
Man, you must feel pretty stupid now. 🤣😂🤣

$_59 (2).jpg

BERLIN-KLASSIK-2019-367.jpg

20160407_075941.jpg

• Disagree
Reactions: DanDi58