Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

blimey it tops up fast!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mrklaw

Mar 5, 2020
Berkshire
first long trip for me in the SR+, dropping son back at uni in Bath. about 185 miles round trip so I was hoping to do it in one go without charging, but was prepared to top up if needed.

On the way out, the tesla navigation said I’d get there with about 45% battery left which seemed pessimistic as I’d topped up to 100% and preconditioned before leaving just as a test. As we went along - part 60mph roadworks, part 70mph cruise, it slowly edged up to more like 57% remaining. Which made me confident I’d get back ok.

On the return leg it routed me via wokingham which wasn’t ideal as its a bit off the M4 so Membury would have been easier. Trying to remove it, said I’d arrive with -7%. Maybe I could have made it without charing but rather than risk on my first trip I thought I’d try out Membury so set that as the destination. When I arrived I couldn’t get the first stall to plug in properly (probably me, a model X pulled up to that stall later and seemed fine). Popped to the loo and came back and it had already gone from 25-50%! I was as quick as I could have been, allowing for being slightly hesitant with COVID etc so sanitising etc but still coudln’t have been more than a few minutes. Sat and ate a sandwich that I’d bought with me from home and when I was done I was at about 60% and way more than needed to get home.

Not entirely sure about the range - round trip of 186 miles being barely doable at motorway speeds in cruise control is a little bit of a shame - had hoped 200 would have been fine, but the convenience and speed of adding in 25% charge in 15 mins overall was great. And the increased cost for the LR was hard to justify for most of my usage. Maybe next time.

If there was a supercharger (or reliable 3rd party rapid CCS) at every motorway services so you can stop whenever someone in the car needs a wee then that would be great (rather than now where you kind of need to go ‘oh leigh delamare is nice but if you can tie a knot in it until membury...’)

I think you could have managed 185 miles. I squeezed out a 190-mile round trip a few weeks ago, which got me from 100% to about 5%. I sometimes complete motorway journeys a few percentage points higher than estimated. It was a warm day though. I’ve done a few 3-figure mile round trips but haven’t yet had the pleasure of using a supercharger. Probably a good thing.

Just curious, did you do a preliminary test in abetterrouteplanner and if so, how did it compare?

Initially ABRP just said ‘go drive you don’t need to charge’ on the default settings. 93.5 miles each way. Tesla in car nav said I‘d have I think 46% left after the outbound leg (because it doesn’t do waypoints) but I think I arrived with 53/54%. I guess it bases that on my recent driving? But on the way back it still tried to route me via wokingham and said -7% if I removed it, when I’d done 93 miles it should have calibrated to the 251wh/mile I was recording?

There's no point being macho for the sake of it - all you need is a closed road or a flat tyre on a cold day to end up feeling stupid.

I wasn’t being macho, I was being curious. I guessed I coudl probably do it without charging and its a route I travel probably every couple of months so would have been good to know. I definitely knew one way was fine, and the return trip on the M4 I knew there was membury, then reading J11, then J10 wokingham and I’m J6 which isn’t far so plenty of opportunities to charge if I needed too (and thats just superchargers not including other 3rd party CCS) I could have just driven to my home and see what the graph did.

I’ll probably try again just putting home in and seeing how close I get, and then being less fussed about charging to 100% and preconditioning before the trip as if I have to charge anyway, I can keep it at 90% and let it warm up on the motorway

Is Wokingham closer to home, therefore the state of charge would be lower, therefore would top up much quicker (the lower the battery the quicker it charges)? That would explain it sending you there rather than somewhere a bit more convenient (less off-route) but where your battery would have a higher SoC and therefore would accept charge at a lower rate. I assume/expect/hope that the routing algorithm takes charge time into account.

Is Wokingham closer to home, therefore the state of charge would be lower, therefore would top up much quicker (the lower the battery the quicker it charges)? That would explain it sending you there rather than somewhere a bit more convenient (less off-route) but where your battery would have a higher SoC and therefore would accept charge at a lower rate. I assume/expect/hope that the routing algorithm takes charge time into account.

probably. I find both ABRP and the tesla system a little frustrating to use tbh. I couldn’t work out how to say ‘no not wokingham, prefer membury’ (its a MSA vs reading/wokingham which are a couple of miles off the motorway). It would be nice to see alternatives but I just cancelled and searched for membury in the navigation. Is there a ‘find me a charger’ button anywhere because I couldn’t see one - something that just gives me a list of chargers and lets me pick?

ABRP is similar - it’ll choose for you and its a bit of a faff as you have to select other chargers as waypoints.

Reactions: Yachtsman
Is there a ‘find me a charger’ button anywhere because I couldn’t see one - something that just gives me a list of chargers and lets me pick?

In the car. Tap the map once. Bottom left hand corner. Lighting bolt icon [⚡️]. The three lightning bolts [⚡⚡⚡️] are super chargers. Leave on this setting. Two lightning bolts are mostly abroad - forget these. One lightning bolt is probably just luck if that’s where you’re headed. Not [m]any[?] CCS 3rd party rapids on there.

Reactions: Mrklaw
probably. I find both ABRP and the tesla system a little frustrating to use tbh. I couldn’t work out how to say ‘no not wokingham, prefer membury’ (its a MSA vs reading/wokingham which are a couple of miles off the motorway). It would be nice to see alternatives but I just cancelled and searched for membury in the navigation. Is there a ‘find me a charger’ button anywhere because I couldn’t see one - something that just gives me a list of chargers and lets me pick?

ABRP is similar - it’ll choose for you and its a bit of a faff as you have to select other chargers as waypoints.

Tap the map to make the control buttons show up, then tap the lightning bolt icon on the bottom corner of the map. This will show all Superchargers and you can pick whichever one you want to navigate to. Unfortunately, other than removing charging stops, there is now way to modify the route the system comes up with.

When I take long trips I usually just navigate from Supercharger to Supercharger.

Reactions: exlatccatsa
Initially ABRP just said ‘go drive you don’t need to charge’ on the default settings.

Yep. The default settings assume conditions atypical to what we normally experience which would probably explain most of the discrepancy - I always found, with settings in the correct ballpark that ABRP is pretty darned accurate and if any, slightly errs on the side of caution. It also demonstrates how different conditions and settings can also affect the real world range, eg you get a completely different story at 10C than you do at 20C which I think is the ABRP default.

Yep. The default settings assume conditions atypical to what we normally experience which would probably explain most of the discrepancy - I always found, with settings in the correct ballpark that ABRP is pretty darned accurate and if any, slightly errs on the side of caution. It also demonstrates how different conditions and settings can also affect the real world range, eg you get a completely different story at 10C than you do at 20C which I think is the ABRP default.

didn’t spot it was defaulting to 20c. Changed to 10c (was 8-10 today) and it dropped a few %.

I just took a guess at a route and put in a 188 mile return trip between West Drayton and just outside Bath.

Starting with 100% charge and telling it minimum arrival SoC of 0%, ie the car could be run dry, with default ABRP settings the car could do it without a stop, arriving back at iirc 5% SoC.

Putting in weather conditions indicative of today, ABRP suggested a 15% (6 min) topup at Membury on the return leg to arrive back at the same 5% SoC. By ABRP's calculation, this non stop return trip for a MiC SR+ is not possible in conditions similar to now. And thats before any additional losses that may occur by allowing the car to cool down at the turnaround point - ie departure tax / travelling salesman losses.

That 15% lost is through temp, small headwind, slightly wet road settings and keeping the default battery degradation setting. I hadn't even added any extra weight or adjusting other parameters such as speed etc.

I'm sure with care it could on occasions be done without stopping, but not really sure what the point would be especially since the top-up is so brief - would also be covered by hour to hour-half on most destination chargers.

didn’t spot it was defaulting to 20c. Changed to 10c (was 8-10 today) and it dropped a few %.

I find that the new style layout of ABR doesn't make the settings options as obvious ... on the Web you can still use the somewhat old fashioned "classic" interface that I find clearer (could be I'm just used to it.) A Better Routeplanner

On round trip motorway journeys don't be caught out by wind direction! Just because you made it with low consumption for the outward leg you can't assume that the return leg will be similar ... sometimes it can be significantly different! Also gradients can come into play. As you discovered, Supercharging works great so there's no reason to push it unless you need to. (I'm not referring to pushing a dead car BTW :D )

Reactions: Yachtsman
ok so 7 weeks later, same trip but in warmer weather - picking son up from Bath. Outbound I arrived with 58% battery which was better than before. On the return leg we had to detour due to a road closure. As we approached membury it was predicting I’d arrive home with 9% so I was fairly comfortable I’d make it.

We stopped at membury anyway for a starbucks as we were both thirsty. Plugged in, walked over and bought a couple of drinks, came back and carried on. 11 minutes according to Teslafi and it topped up 25% so I arrived home in the end with 36%! This wasn’t even that rapid - I’d stopped at I think 31% so not the fast end of the battery, I hadn’t preconditioned (we just decided to stop), and we were sharing a v2 with the car next to us. Still getting 58kw though and that was still plenty

I think time is clearly relative - if you’re standign watching the charger go up it might seem like a long time, but almost any basic task - just going to the toilet, buying a sandwich etc - can easily take 10-15 mins and by then you’ve added a fair chunk to the battery. So if you can reliably have access to charging at any convenient stop, then I think any range anxiety should fade away to almost nothing. Key for non-tesla will be how quickly electric highway and gridserve can upgrade MSAs to help that.