Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blind spot and dash cam feature teased by Elon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How would the blind spot notification work anyway? Just an audible beep or is there a secret light on the mirrors that I'm not aware of?

My friend's RV has nice feature. When turning on the turning signal, it'll activate that side camera and the screen shows the adjacent lane including blind spot. Basically similar functionality as back-up camera, but showing the side angle instead of directly behind.

Not like Model 3 is lacking the cameras...

My friend's RV has nice feature. When turning on the turning signal, it'll activate that side camera and the screen shows the adjacent lane including blind spot. Basically similar functionality as back-up camera, but showing the side angle instead of directly behind.

Not like Model 3 is lacking the cameras...

Honda calls it LaneWatch; a relative has it on their minivan and it works really well. I don't know if Honda has a patent that would block Tesla.

How is blind spot notification not standard on this car from the beginning anyway.

I was just talking with someone about this the other day. My freaking Mazda came with BSM, adaptive cruise, lane departure warning, lane-keep assist, emergency braking, city braking...and perhaps a couple others I'm forgetting. Don't get me wrong -- I'm super excited about being on the list for a M3 and am buying it for reasons other than all these features, but this one thing has always baffled me.

On the smorgasbord of auto features, the 5 yo Toyota Avalon hybrid I sold to buy my X had real, effective BSM. Lights in the side mirrors. Cross traffic alert when in reverse. AEB. And it would read me incoming texts, and give me a menu of standard replies. Too bad it would only go ~2 miles in EV mode. And it only got 40 mpg.

Love my Tesla. But there are some features I believe could be enabled that are more useful and likely and needed than an imaginary FSD.

I was just talking with someone about this the other day. My freaking Mazda came with BSM, adaptive cruise, lane departure warning, lane-keep assist, emergency braking, city braking...and perhaps a couple others I'm forgetting. Don't get me wrong -- I'm super excited about being on the list for a M3 and am buying it for reasons other than all these features, but this one thing has always baffled me.

Like Apple. They could release a lot of features and a faster phone right away but the do it year after year. So this year you get last years tech and it's considered a upgrade. Tesla can now say they are making the car better with OTA updates.

I hope they have a option so you could record with the dashcam or else it's pretty worthless.

• Disagree
Reactions: Ludatik
Like Apple. They could release a lot of features and a faster phone right away but the do it year after year. So this year you get last years tech and it's considered a upgrade. Tesla can now say they are making the car better with OTA updates.

I hope they have a option so you could record with the dashcam or else it's pretty worthless.

It’ll be awesome if they enable four cameras (2 sides, front, and back) and allow you to record them all. They can even make some monies by selling the Tesla hard drive. It would sell like hot cakes!