Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blind spot and dash cam feature teased by Elon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope Tesla adds also Night Vision together with built-in dashcam, lifesaver in foggy and/or rainy weather.

That's new hardware; the dashcam that's under discussion in this thread is just software unless they add a dedicated data drive or SD slot.

A thermal camera doesn't seem like a horrible idea for Tesla, but they'd have to figure out how to integrate it with the rest of the AP software.

That's new hardware; the dashcam that's under discussion in this thread is just software unless they add a dedicated data drive or SD slot.

A thermal camera doesn't seem like a horrible idea for Tesla, but they'd have to figure out how to integrate it with the rest of the AP software.

I mean, the car already has storage on board... it's how they're able to add and update software via OTA after all.

I'm kind of expecting them to include the "upload dashcam footage to the cloud" as an option on the "premium" data plan they're now going to charge for on post July-1 cars though.

I mean, the car already has storage on board... it's how they're able to add and update software via OTA after all.

I'm kind of expecting them to include the "upload dashcam footage to the cloud" as an option on the "premium" data plan they're now going to charge for on post July-1 cars though.

Exactly. So they shouldn't need to have new hardware for the dashcam - unlike the thermal camera night vision suggestion I was responding to. (Which would be nice to have, of course...)

• Helpful
Reactions: SlicedBr3ad
Exactly. So they shouldn't need to have new hardware for the dashcam - unlike the thermal camera night vision suggestion I was responding to. (Which would be nice to have, of course...)

I'm guessing they don't want to wear out the onboard flash through continuous recording. Much easier to replace external storage that's worn out. As for cloud upload, I can't see them not charging even more for it because it's so much more data. Dashcam companies can offer it for "free" because they roll the cost into the product, whereas Tesla is giving this feature away at no additional cost.

Here is a leak showing some of the improvements in situational awareness and blind spot monitoring coming in V9:

Marc Benton on Twitter

After looking at the release notes that have been shown it appears the only indication of a vehicle in your blind spot when you go to signal is turning the lane line red. It doesn't mention an audible warning. Hopefully they will add that as an option in a future build.

After looking at the release notes that have been shown it appears the only indication of a vehicle in your blind spot when you go to signal is turning the lane line red. It doesn't mention an audible warning. Hopefully they will add that as an option in a future build.

It would be nice to have this as a audible warning or side mirror indicator. When switching lanes I'm not going to be glancing down at the screen.....

So it looks like I’m going to have to finagle a solution so that I can plug in a USB flash drive for the dash cam feature and still have two working phone charging cables at the front. I guess the easiest solution is to find a 12V adapter that I can use for the second USB power connection. Anyone have any good suggestions?

So it looks like I’m going to have to finagle a solution so that I can plug in a USB flash drive for the dash cam feature and still have two working phone charging cables at the front. I guess the easiest solution is to find a 12V adapter that I can use for the second USB power connection. Anyone have any good suggestions?
That’s funny you mentioned that. I was just researching the same thing. I just got the Nomad wireless charger and that takes up both USB ports. I was thinking of a usb dual port cable/adapter where I can plug in one of the adapter ports to the Nomad and plug in a usb stick for the dashcam to the other. Not sure if splitting the one USB port would work?
https://www.amazon.com/SIIG-USB-Portable-2-Port-JU-H20011-S1/dp/B005ORPJ14