Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

blind spot and line departure dont work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New owner of 2022 Mod Y . As I understand Tesla has standard all safety features: blind spot detection, line departure, emergency braking....but I don't see it working!
More than that, when I test drove tesla I saw images of cars around me and my car never shown any cars!
So, is it suppose to be like that in 2022 models because now we have cameras only?

Found that online but want to confirm with experienced members too.

• Disagree
Reactions: mark95476
It's a shame. I can't imagine how bad FSD is today. On my test drives lane keeping worked poorly if at all. I had to continually reinitialize it as it disabled itself in the most basic roadway scenarios. Our other vehicle has a 2017 camera-driven lane keeping system that works so much better I'm sure Tesla will eventually get a handle on it.

You should be able to see those features though. Per the article the owner needs to first turn those features on.

• Disagree
Reactions: mark95476 and GOVA
yes, all enabled. I have those features on my other cars and I know how they should work. Just scheduled mobile service visit. Will see how tesla service performs. I wish and hope its an user error!
Blind spot monitoring does NOT work like in other cars. There is no indicator in the outside mirror. Here is the relevant phrase from the OM -

"Model Y monitors the markers on the lane you are driving in as well as the surrounding areas for the presence of vehicles or other objects.

When an object is detected in your blind spot or near the side of Model Y (such as a vehicle, guard rail, etc.), the touchscreen displays colored lines radiating from the image of your vehicle. The location of the lines correspond to the location of the detected object. The color of the lines (white, yellow, orange, or red) represent the object's proximity to Model Y, with white being the farthest and red being the closest and requiring your immediate attention. These colored lines only display when driving between approximately 7 and 85 mph (12 and 140 km/h). When Autosteer is active, these colored lines also display if driving slower than 7 mph (12 km/h). However, the colored lines do not display if Model Y is at a standstill (for example, in heavy traffic)."

Reactions: Maxters and GOVA
Thanks, I know those elementary things.
I should see 'grey cars' aside when I pass them or they pass me. I should have line departure warning. Simple cruise control should work.
It's all enabled and it doesn't work. Obviously I didn't try emergency braking and collision avoidance but I have very little faith it will work in my car.
It's is a brand new car and quality control just missed those features.
On the good side its' LR Performance version and it drives great.

• Disagree
Reactions: mark95476
Did you try a reboot?

And that article only mentions the lane departure warning removal, in terms of the items you mentioned above. Nothing else that you mentioned was removed. I believe I have seen in other threads that some of the removed items have been making their way back.

Problem solved with mobile service visit. The cameras were shucked at 98% 'calibration complete' and they basically didn't work.
They suppose to calibrate themselves during first 100 miles but I had 350 and it didn't happened. Tech took it to highway and in 10 minutes they came up and all functions started to work normally!
So, because I don't use highways in my daily driving the cameras couldn't complete self calibrating. That's what I got from Tesla technician.

Reactions: chris2222
Problem solved with mobile service visit. The cameras were shucked at 98% 'calibration complete' and they basically didn't work.
They suppose to calibrate themselves during first 100 miles but I had 350 and it didn't happened. Tech took it to highway and in 10 minutes they came up and all functions started to work normally!
So, because I don't use highways in my daily driving the cameras couldn't complete self calibrating. That's what I got from Tesla technician.
Interesting. I guess the cameras need a mix of roads to totally calibrate. "They" should tell you that up front. But glad it got resolved for you!

Thanks, I know those elementary things.
I should see 'grey cars' aside when I pass them or they pass me. I should have line departure warning. Simple cruise control should work.
It's all enabled and it doesn't work. Obviously I didn't try emergency braking and collision avoidance but I have very little faith it will work in my car.
It's is a brand new car and quality control just missed those features.
On the good side its' LR Performance version and it drives great.
The TACC icon acts a progress meter for calibration. Ours completed in five miles on well-marked two lane roads. The Visualization Preview is optional. The car has audio and visual cues that are independent of object visualization.

From the manual:
"Model Y must maneuver with precision when Autopilot features are being used. Therefore, before some features can be used for the first time or after some types of service repairs, cameras must complete a self-calibration process. For your convenience, the touchscreen displays a progress indicator.

When calibration is complete, Autopilot features are available for use. Calibration typically completes after driving 20-25 miles (32-40 km), but the distance varies depending on road and environmental conditions. For example, calibration completes quicker when driving on a straight road with multiple lanes, such as a freeway or highway, with highly-visible lane markings (in the driving lane as well as the adjacent lanes). Contact Tesla only if your Model Y has not completed the calibration process after driving 100 miles (160 km)"

The diagnostic section of the manual expands on the error message (from software version 2021.32) :
"(APP_w224)
Cruise control unavailable
Continue driving to allow cameras to calibrate

Traffic-Aware Cruise Control and Autosteer are unavailable because the cameras on your vehicle are not fully calibrated. Continue to your destination. Your vehicle is OK to drive.

Traffic-Aware Cruise Control and Autosteer will remain unavailable until camera calibration is complete.

Your vehicle must maneuver with great precision when features like Traffic-Aware Cruise Control and Autosteer are active. Before these features can be used for the first time, the cameras must complete an initial self-calibration. Occasionally, one or more cameras can become uncalibrated.

For your convenience, a calibration progress indicator is displayed on the touchscreen. Calibration typically completes after your vehicle has driven 20-25 miles (32-40 km), but the distance varies depending on road and environmental conditions. For example, driving on a straight road with highly visible lane markings helps the cameras calibrate quicker.

See Drive to Calibrate Cameras on page 85 for more information.
When calibration is complete, Traffic-Aware Cruise Control and Autosteer should be available.

If the alert persists and camera calibration has not completed after your vehicle has driven 100 miles (160 km) or more, or Traffic-Aware Cruise Control and Autosteer remain unavailable despite successful camera calibration, schedule service at your earliest convenience. Your vehicle is OK to drive in the meantime."

• Informative
Reactions: Corndart