Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blind spot assist in Version 8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't heard anything. It would be tough to do, the car doesn't have the sensors for it.

Sure it has the sensors. Why couldn't blind spot stuff be improved? We get about 18 ft around the car with ultrasonics.

What I'd like to see is that the dash draw all the vehicles around your car--not just those 20 feet ahead and beyond. If I can look down at the dash and see all the cars around me, THAT would be nice. The trick to that is determining what is a car from the ultrasonic signature. That is the part that I'm not sure is technically feasible, but I think if the ultrasonics see a return that is moving somewhat, you could assume it's another vehicle of some sort.

The ultrasonic sensors are short range and they don't have great resolution. They go nuts when I'm driving across a bridge. They see every post of the bridge as some object I should be notified about.

18 feet can tell you if something it currently right there, but it can't detect somebody zooming into your blindspot until it's too late. I almost got rear ended when I was changing lanes on AP and someone zoomed into the same lane from the opposite side. It would have been her fault, but I'd prefer to avoid an accident no matter who is at fault.

For truly effective blind spot detection they need some kind of longer range and wide angle detection. I think a 180 degree camera mounted at the top of the hatch would be most effective.

Reactions: zambono
Doesn't blind spot assist use the rear side ultrasonic sensors? Would be great to have a very prominent alert on dash if blinker went on when either sensor detected a car.
No not really, all of the BSD systems I have worked on use rear facing radar sensors to "see" vehicles. The problem with ultrasonic sensor is very limited range. I.E less than 5 meters/16 feet at best. The front object detection is done via the radar and forward facing camera

No not really, all of the BSD systems I have worked on use rear facing radar sensors to "see" vehicles. The problem with ultrasonic sensor is very limited range. I.E less than 5 meters/16 feet at best. The front object detection is done via the radar and forward facing camera

For blind spot not sure why you need rear radar and extended range...unless you are trying to predict what WILL be in your blindspot. I just want to know if I change lanes will my back half hit something that's already next to me. I use my rear view mirror to see if something is coming up on me. Looks like the MS could mostly already do this (depends how far forward that rear sensor works) and the MX can definitely do it due to extra sensors in doors.

See here:

And here:

Per Tesla's blog post about AP:

Interface alerts are much more prominent, including flashing white border on instrument panel

I know that's referring to AP-based alerts, but I'm really hoping they do something similar like flash the instrument panel when you change lanes. Early leaks of 7.0 showed a red car in your blind spot on the interface, but I'm guessing they determined the U/S sensors were too slow/unreliable to make the assumption it's a CAR there. I'd settle for the dash flashing red if it detects something and I turn on my blinker. Also, buzz my steering wheel.

Reactions: Alex D
Was just thinking this AM that my car lights up bright yellow when I pass palm trees and jersey barriers but an actual car about 2 feet away? Doesn't usually even register. My old Honda minivan and new MB SUV light up when you try to signal with a car in your blind spot, why not MS?
I get alerts for bushes alone the freeway 1-2 lanes over sometimes. But a car only 2 ft away often does not show anything.

The ultra sonics are only good as parking sensor as far as I'm concerned. Given the false positives from bushes 8 ft away, I don't want them used for much when it comes to autopilot.

The ultrasonic sensors are short range and they don't have great resolution. They go nuts when I'm driving across a bridge. They see every post of the bridge as some object I should be notified about.

18 feet can tell you if something it currently right there, but it can't detect somebody zooming into your blindspot until it's too late. I almost got rear ended when I was changing lanes on AP and someone zoomed into the same lane from the opposite side. It would have been her fault, but I'd prefer to avoid an accident no matter who is at fault.

For truly effective blind spot detection they need some kind of longer range and wide angle detection. I think a 180 degree camera mounted at the top of the hatch would be most effective.
Why not just use the back up camera?

Reactions: thinklabinc
However, the Tesla rear camera is pretty darned effective as a blind spot aid.
One of the best and most dependable blind spot systems I have used is on the Volvo XC60 SUV.
Under each rear view mirror is a camera/sensor which is pointed backwards at the blind spots on each side of the car.
The cameras are connected to an indicator system (located to the mount point of each rear view mirror) which glows a brite yellow if an obstacle is in your blind spot. This Volvo BLIS system works very well and has done so since 2011.

For those who are very concerned with blind spot... just adjust your side mirrors to avoid blind spot. You should be able to find the videos on YouTube. I used to do that on my sports cars and that worked fine. Never had to turn head.

Doesn't blind spot assist use the rear side ultrasonic sensors? Would be great to have a very prominent alert on dash if blinker went on when either sensor detected a car.
You mean like Mercedes, Volvo and others have been shipping for 5-6yrs?

Tesla is still trying to figure out how to build a 2005 iPod media player, give them a little more time to catch up to the 2011 Mercedes and Volvo.

Reactions: PacManMX
i was very excited moving from a 2014 (no AP) to a 2016 (with AP) that we'd finally get BSM. but i agree it's not good at all-- i hardly ever get the lines even when another car is right next to me on the freeway. and the lines go crazy when driving next to a center divide. it really doesn't like shrubs and bushes! how it picks up those things but doesn't see a car is beyond me. i don't really understand the tech ...

and yes, Mercedes has long had the red triangle in the mirror as well as beeping if you attempt to make a lane change with someone there. it works flawlessly and seems like such an easy solution. was hoping the BSM in the tesla would be more useful and reliable. oh well. the next iteration of AP will probably fix that ...