TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Blind Spot Cameras

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by STxTesla, Nov 22, 2012.

1. STxTesla

STxTesla Sig #1278

I would like to see blind spot cameras on the Model S.

The rear camera screen shot could be divided into three separate screens.
    A center main screen showing the rear camera view and two smaller side screens on either side of the rear view showing the blind spots.

This would be especially useful in inclement weather situations.

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I would love this. I wonder if this is something they could ever add back after the fact though. Maybe in next revision of Model S as it would be a big safety feature when backing out.

3. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I would really have liked to see front/rear parking assist sensors, blind spot alert system and lane departure warning systems on the car. Fact is, these are fairly easily added after-market nowadays.

4. Xfrank

Xfrank Well-Known Member

I like to have the possibility to make snapshots, or short movie takes with the back camera

5. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

I use the rear view camera. It covers both blind spots nicely. Left in the upper portion of the main console screen it is very well placed.

6. STxTesla

STxTesla Sig #1278

I guess I will have to check that out after I get my car. Good to know...thanks.

7. bob_p

bob_p Member

Talked to Tesla yesterday about adding options like dynamic cruise control or parking assist sensors to the car after production - and the answer I was given is NO. The wiring harness doesn't support any additional sensors - so adding these options would require recabling - not an easy plug-and-play and software upgrade.

I also mentioned that some of the early owners were installing modifications into their cars to get some of the missing features - and the response I got was that doing so could invalidate the car's warranty.

The recommendation I was given (as I'm debating on pushing the "Finalize" button) was that if there are important features that are missing, I shouldn't count on them ever being added to the car by Tesla - and I should either defer (and see if Tesla has a future update of the Model S with the features I was asking about) or cancel my order and buy something else.

The only two missing features that would likely be available as "add-on" features were the consoles for the front and back seats. Otherwise everything else - dynamic radar control, parking assist, power folding mirrors, ... INCLUDING 4G INTERNET - are not available on the current production models - and will not be upgradeable by Tesla one the car is manufactured.

While I didn't specifically request blind spot monitor - it would probably fall into the same category as the other features available today on comparably priced vehicles.

8. jandkw

jandkw Member

Zythryn, are you saying Blind Spot Monitor is a feature that Model S supports? How does it work with the rear camera. Does the camera turns on when you turn on the signal light you can see the lane next to you?

9. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

There is a 12v system, and a lot of 12v shops install these types of things every day. Yes, you would have to run a 12v circuit from the 12v battery, and clearly it's not a "plug-and-play" type of thing, but why would that invalidate the warranty?

I had been thinking of parking sensors and maybe blind spot detection, and I was also thinking of buying the kits myself, but having a Tesla Service Center install them. Sounds like that may be out of the question.

10. strider

strider Active Member

I bet once Tesla releases the SDK for the console someone could write an app that would do this.

11. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

To this point, I have received some very strong hints from Tesla that parking assist sensors "are coming". I specifically asked about whether the car had these sensors and was told "not yet" along with a quite literal nudge and wink. This was from a California Tesla employee that was at the Toronto Get Amped test drive event.

12. darthy001

darthy001 Love my car, hope Tesla can get as great!

Oh, i really hope this comes through...

No sensors is in my mind the strangest decision on this car. Huge, expensive, tech/gadget-car etcetc and no sensors!? Even cheap cars have that nowadays and it is shelf-ware from several suppliers. Would have taken tesla a minimum of time to implement....

Only good thing about it is that my wife will never drive the car without sensors;)

13. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

I think it would be prudent to assume that what you see today is all you well ever get, unless it's something that can be upgraded solely through software. So, I expect I'll eventually have backup-camera guide lines (software) but not parking sensors (hardware) from Tesla. TO my mind, what the Model S has far outweighs the gadgets it's missing, so I'm eagerly awaiting my Model S--but I put little value these driving aids. If you place a lot of value on them, you might be better off waiting 6 months or so to see how things develop.

14. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Are there any blind spots when the mirrors are adjusted properly? I wasn't able to tell in the Get Amped drive because it just wasn't long enough.

15. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

I'm not finding any problems (I adjust them by leaning in the direction of the mirror and setting it so I can just barely see the corner of the car). For me, it's 100 times better than the Roadster. The only visibility issue for me really is the narrow height of the rear window so I can't see that many cars behind me unless I duck down and peer around (via the rear view mirror).

16. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

I agree with you. I also would like ACC, AWD, power folding mirrors and ventilated front seats. A Model S with all these features would be perfect. But doesn't Elon state that Tesla Model S cars have got to be perfect? ;-)

17. bob_p

bob_p Member

I was told by a Tesla rep last week that I shouldn't count on upgrading the current 3G to 4G, and that future performance upgrades would more likely be through cell phone connections - and not by upgrading the Model S integrated hardware.

Initially I was disappointed to hear this - but if they can make the BT, USB and/or WiFi connections via cell phone automatic and reliable - that may be better in the long run.

18. metafor

metafor Member

Generally, the AP is located fairly close to the modem chip as well as the antenna and various RF chips. The expected communications latency isn't very tolerable otherwise.

As for swapping out Tegra...that'd be difficult. Platform software isn't easy to change and the Model S's software stack has been built solely around Tegra's architecture. Changing it to another SoC would be problematic and introduce a lot of additional testing/QA concerns.

It's possible that they can upgrade the modem to the upcoming Icera LTE chip that nVidia (after purchasing Icera) will produce but I don't know whether that chip is graded for automotive use or not; it could very well not be. And even in such a case, it's likely they'd have to rip out the entire electronic module and replace it with another that has Tegra and the Icera modem in it.

19. arg

arg Member

Obviously the baseband and all the RF have to be in one place, but there's no reason the AP couldn't be 100m away on the end of a piece of ethernet if you wanted to (USB is rather more plausible in this case. Local comms latency is trivial in comparison to the cellular link.

The proposition here was swapping it with whatever Tesla pick for Model S 2.0 - though actually the original proposition was swapping just the modem rather than the Tegra since my suspicion was/is that they are separate. And certainly swapping Tegra modules will only be feasible as an upgrade offered by Tesla, not an aftermarket upgrade - but a relatively likely one for them to offer in the long term, as against trying to keep the software competitive running on the existing hardware.

Any reason to assume that they are using a phone-style close-coupled baseband rather than operating the Tegra standalone (like a WiFi-only tablet) and having the cellular modem separate (like plugging a USB modem into said WiFi-only tablet)?

This is all speculation, but there's a number of reasons for thinking they might have a separate modem:

- The Tegra modules don't appear to contain one (based on Nvidia info)
    - Tesla is a small customer by Nvidia standards (albeit a prestigious one). Getting development support for these parts is generally much easier if you just want then as a generic AP rather than with
    the close-coupled cellular support where you normally need orders for millions of units to get people to talk to you.
    - Cellular modems are an off-the-shelf item
    - Approvals and carrier support for different markets is easier with a separate module.

20. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

In my A5, the blind spot warning is managed via the rear camera. I know this, because when the camera stopped working, so did the blind spot warnings. I'm not sure if there's any other sensors in the actual mirrors, but the Audi tech didn't think so. This being true, Tesla could develop an audible blind spot warning triggered from the indicator using the rear view camera, without any hardware modifications. It's not a perfect solution (I see a warning whenever anything is in my blind spot, and a rapid blinking if I indicate), but it's still not bad. If it encourages a few drivers around these parts to use their damn indicators then that's a bonus!