Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blind Spot Cameras

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Obviously the baseband and all the RF have to be in one place, but there's no reason the AP couldn't be 100m away on the end of a piece of ethernet if you wanted to (USB is rather more plausible in this case. Local comms latency is trivial in comparison to the cellular link.

Yes and no. On a PC system and software, the communications latency is irrelevant. AP's and platform software for mobile don't always work well with connectivity-through-USB or distantly-removed links due to the requirements for connected-stand-by. Granted, I don't know the Model S's software; perhaps they just shelved connected-stand-by and other nice mobile-system features and are running it like a standard PC. In which case they could very well have the RF module in a separate place connected via SDIO or USB.

The proposition here was swapping it with whatever Tesla pick for Model S 2.0 - though actually the original proposition was swapping just the modem rather than the Tegra since my suspicion was/is that they are separate. And certainly swapping Tegra modules will only be feasible as an upgrade offered by Tesla, not an aftermarket upgrade - but a relatively likely one for them to offer in the long term, as against trying to keep the software competitive running on the existing hardware.

That depends. Very few next-gen AP's in either the mobile or PC world will be automotive-grade. Tegra 3 just happened to be as TSMC's 40LP happens to fit in that temperature and voltage curve. Most next-gen AP's will be 28nm or below and I don't believe the models have it working well in automotive-grade temperatures. I'd anticipate the computer to be the last thing they'd think of upgrading.

Any reason to assume that they are using a phone-style close-coupled baseband rather than operating the Tegra standalone (like a WiFi-only tablet) and having the cellular modem separate (like plugging a USB modem into said WiFi-only tablet)?

How many tablets do you know that actually work with USB plugin modems? Few have the host-mode necessary (purely a software limitation) to do that anyway. There are certain plugin modules for GPS, but not for 3G/4G connectivity; those are done generally via hotspotting.

This is all speculation, but there's a number of reasons for thinking they might have a separate modem:

- The Tegra modules don't appear to contain one (based on Nvidia info)
- Tesla is a small customer by Nvidia standards (albeit a prestigious one). Getting development support for these parts is generally much easier if you just want then as a generic AP rather than with
the close-coupled cellular support where you normally need orders for millions of units to get people to talk to you.
- Cellular modems are an off-the-shelf item
- Approvals and carrier support for different markets is easier with a separate module.

I agree with all of that. But getting an AP to work with off-the-shelf modems with something other than wifi hotspotting isn't trivial; I can't recall one commercial tablet that you can do it with.