Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blind spot, close calls - do I need camera adjusted?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just make it a habit to look over your shoulder before starting any merge! This whole thread about drivers relying on blind spot detection for merging is very troubling. With drivers like these so common, its a wonder more cars aren't just bouncing off each other like bumper cars on the freeways!
Also, please adjust your mirrors to minimiz, if not eliminate the blind spots!

Also, please adjust your mirrors to minimiz, if not eliminate the blind spots!
Very true. When correctly adjusted, it's great. Many don't realize that the mirrors are supposed to aim at your blind spots, not distance view of the back of your car. I drive all the cars in my household and only some have blind spot monitoring. I have learned to to use the mirrors only so I don't even notice the lights on the mirrors unless I look for them intentionally.

Reactions: AlexHung
For the Suma mirrors, which one do I get?
I want the blue and defroster. Why is there a "turn signal" choice? I don't think my 2020 has a turn signal in the mirror, did that change?
Thanks!
Don’t get the Turn Signal option if you don’t plan on spending hours tapping into a power source. It requires a lot of work to get it working. In other words, not plug and play.

Other than that, the Suma convex mirrors replacement with defroster are entirely plug and play and pretty easy to install.

Reactions: Vivelemond
Changing the mirrors is wrong. Adjust them properly and there is no blind spot.

Sit in the car in your driving position.
Look in the rear view mirror, find an object at the far left edge of the mirror.
Adjust the left mirror so that object is at the far right edge of the mirror.

No blind spot. (Same in reverse for the right mirror)

Reactions: AlexHung
Changing the mirrors is wrong. Adjust them properly and there is no blind spot.

Sit in the car in your driving position.
Look in the rear view mirror, find an object at the far left edge of the mirror.
Adjust the left mirror so that object is at the far right edge of the mirror.

No blind spot. (Same in reverse for the right mirror)
This is a matter of personal opinion and comfort. There is no right or wrong answer. If you like the stock mirrors and they meet your needs….wonderful. For many of us, changing to the convex Suma mirrors work better and make the MY more comfortable and safe to drive.

Just make it a habit to look over your shoulder before starting any merge! This whole thread about drivers relying on blind spot detection for merging is very troubling. With drivers like these so common, its a wonder more cars aren't just bouncing off each other like bumper cars on the freeways!
I am not so sure that the Blindspot monitor is the worst ever. It is not in the usual spot, but I find it works quite well especially since they redid the screen size with the update a few months ago.
That said, everyone should be looking over their shoulder before they change lanes. No Blindspot monitoring system makes up for that, they are simply a supplemental aid but things happen fast out there on the freeway.

I do not rely on any camera-based blind-spot monitoring. On multiple occasions when merging out of an HOV lane and into a fast lane, and knowing the lane I'm merging into is clear, it suddenly thinks the car or truck two lanes over is jumping back and forth into the lane I'm merging into. Talk about panic when you check over your shoulder properly and a second later the car's telling you someone is there. Given how crappy drivers are (and that they will merge into the fast lane at an HOV crossover point) I intuitively trust the car, but it has been wrong enough that I have to rely on my eyeballs with the help of the Suma mirrors no matter what.

Will this be an adjustment for someone who is very used to using blind-spot monitors that show in the mirrors? Picking up my MY in about 10 days and that was one of the features I used most/loved most & got so used to in my lexus es 350 that I have to remember in normal cars to fully look … this worries me.

Yes. You will not be able to rely on any tech in the car to help you with checking your blind spots; huge step down from my 2 other cars. Have resorted to how I used to drive pre-2010, which is to lean and look "out" from the side view mirrior, signal, shoulder check and then merge.

Yes. You will not be able to rely on any tech in the car to help you with checking your blind spots; huge step down from my 2 other cars. Have resorted to how I used to drive pre-2010, which is to lean and look "out" from the side view mirrior, signal, shoulder check and then merge.
Blind spot monitors should not change that routine no matter how good the implementation is. I consider it as an additional safety mechanism, not as a replacement.

Agreed; but blind spot safety monitors/alerts are standard on most/all cars; I'm coming from both my cars (one having audible and the other visual) alerts and while I used to still double check, its disturbing that a $60K car does not have the feature which is standard on other common basic models.

Actually the version that I got the car with (2021.3.x) was pretty good at aiding in reducing blind spot issues; it showed cars in either lane in real time slightly behind, and when they came close or I indicated I was moving into that lane, that car changed into a bright red one on the display. The newer 4.18 version took that away I think.