Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blind spot, close calls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received my 2021 MY, has about 220 miles now. I get it that the primary safety mechanism is to always use your mirrors, and I did that otherwise my Tesla would have been in a body shop already. I was expecting that with so many cameras and radars that this car blind spot would be much better. I read the radars are only use at very low speeds, so they must be relying on the cameras. I have looked at many diagrams showing the radar/camera coverage and should easily achieve a 360 deg. With this said, I only get a warning when the car is about the rear passenger back door, ie as it passes next to me the lane line and car goes red (too late). I have noticed the display only shows the car on each side behind me when the car-front is just about next to my rear bumper, but the camera coverage diagrams should see it more distance behind me.

Not certain if this issue is by design, or unique to my car. I am assuming the calibration mode is just to train the software for object recognition but does not actually change the angle of the camera. Should I have service check the camera angles?

The car has only one radar unit facing forward. The sensors I think you are referring to are ultrasonics. They are short range There is also a wide angle camera used for backing up and by autopilot. On autopilot I just let the car make lane changes and perhaps glance at the screen. Without autopilot on, the ultrasonics should tell you someone is in your blind spot, but not much more. Check your settings. There might be something turned off. Also have Tesla verify the ultrasonics are working properly. A rough check might be to drive slowly bye an object close to the car and see if it showed up on the screen. The side cameras are also active on Autopilot.

The car has only one radar unit facing forward. The sensors I think you are referring to are ultrasonics. They are short range There is also a wide angle camera used for backing up and by autopilot. On autopilot I just let the car make lane changes and perhaps glance at the screen. Without autopilot on, the ultrasonics should tell you someone is in your blind spot, but not much more. Check your settings. There might be something turned off. Also have Tesla verify the ultrasonics are working properly. A rough check might be to drive slowly bye an object close to the car and see if it showed up on the screen. The side cameras are also active on Autopilot.

Are those ultrasonic sensors operational at any speed or just low? I know that when I am pulling in my garage I see like "waved" lines on my screen with distances. When in the freeway, I do see once in a while the waved lines but not constantly. Wondering what is the maximum range for these sensors.

Are those ultrasonic sensors operational at any speed or just low? I know that when I am pulling in my garage I see like "waved" lines on my screen with distances. When in the freeway, I do see once in a while the waved lines but not constantly. Wondering what is the maximum range for these sensors.
At most 50-60 feet. They are always active in my S.