Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Blind Spot Detection is disappointing"

Are you happy with rear blind spot detection on your Tesla?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After almost getting creamed tonight in a lane change (not on autopilot) to the left, I am beginning to get the impression that the blind spot detection system on my 2016 Tesla Model S 90D is not nearly as proactive as the side mirror-based warning systems for other cars. On my previous car, a 2015 Mercedes Benz E400 Coupe, it was almost impossible to miss a car traveling behind you, and even if you ignored the warning light in the side view mirror, the turn signal indicator would have a very loud warning beep enabling you to abort the lane change.
With the Tesla, the "cone" that you see on your dashboard indicates vehicles on your side, but they are literally right next to you before the alert.
I brought my car back to the Tesla store in Paramus and they tell me that the sensors are not adjustable, and that they "all work like that". Not a good answer. Tesla needs to increase the distance that triggers those warning zones. I am just curious whether anyone else out there has experienced the same limitations with blind spot detection, especially on the driver's side rear sensor.

Totally agree with you. I have same year and model and I would never rely on them. I have to always turn my head which delays me in quickly being able to change lanes. Most of the time I look at my screen and nothing is sonar and look to my right and a car is very apparent.

Eh, I've never had a car with a blind spot monitoring system that actually worked worth a damn... Model S included. The one thing I am very happy about, however, is that you can set up mirrors in the Model S (at least, from my driving position) to completely eliminate lane-to-lane blind spots. The freeway merge offset induced b-pillar blind spot is still a tricky one, though.

I have a Classic, so no fancy sensors on my car.

But I highly recommend using the technique linked below to set mirrors. I learned about it about ~15 years ago and use it in every car I drive -- and it effectively eliminates blind spots, even in cars with poor visibility out back. It does take a little time to get used to (took me about a week before I felt comfortable with it).

How To: Adjust Your Mirrors to Avoid Blind Spots - Feature

Eh, I've never had a car with a blind spot monitoring system that actually worked worth a damn... Model S included. The one thing I am very happy about, however, is that you can set up mirrors in the Model S (at least, from my driving position) to completely eliminate lane-to-lane blind spots. The freeway merge offset induced b-pillar blind spot is still a tricky one, though.

I have a suburban and it's blind spot warning is perfect. I would use it 100 percent without any worry and have been for last 2 years!

The entire blind-spot/side-monitoring leaves a lot to be desired. Sometimes it detects fine, and sometimes it doesn't.

I don't really expect to see any improvements until V2.0 hardware. I think they're just relying too much on too little data. I don't think it's anything that can be fixed in firmware. They did have some massive improvements from V6.2 to 7.0. It's much better than what it used to be. It used to be completely unusable in the rain. Even with a warning that it was no longer available.

I'm pretty old school with lane changes so I haven't had any near collisions.

As to other blind spot systems the only one I've experienced is my moms Mazda 3 one, and it works fine.

Reactions: Reeler
T

But I highly recommend using the technique linked below to set mirrors. I learned about it about ~15 years ago and use it in every car I drive -- and it effectively eliminates blind spots, even in cars with poor visibility out back. It does take a little time to get used to (took me about a week before I felt comfortable with it).

This has worked in every car I've ever owned of any size -- from small compact to midsize SUV.

• Informative
Reactions: Off Shore and ZBB

This works for me as well.

For some reason most people are taught that your mirror should be adjusted to just see the edge of your car.

My advanced driving instructor told me once if I want to see the edge of my car, put a picture of it next to the mirror.

With the Tesla, the "cone" that you see on your dashboard indicates vehicles on your side, but they are literally right next to you before the alert.

Review the manual to make sure warnings are turned on and other criteria were met.. like speed range where it's active, etc.
Screen Shot 2016-04-14 at 11.09.27 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-04-14 at 11.10.00 PM.png

I set my mirrors to my blind spots. Always have. I don't care how fancy the sensors are, I only trust my eyes. I only find the sensors handy for tight parking because they are too slow to react while driving. I see it all the time. By the time the things light up, if they do, the car is on my side and I can already see it. I feel the same about the AP showing the me the cars in front of me. Duh! I can see them! You're not helping me!

But seriously, I do understand that this is still a work in process for them. My hope is that they can improve the performance with the existing sensor suite. Hopefully to meet or beat current best in class. Though they can only do so much with only ultrasonic on the sides and rear.

The blind spot detection on the Tesla is not sufficient. I believe it's because they made a mistake in choosing ultrasonic sonar. Most other systems rely on cameras or radar or lidar.

I believe that the doppler effect would be a problem while moving at high speeds and introduce a few hundred ms of lag in sensor detection. At highway speeds, I believe anything > 50ms is insufficient.

I blame the ultrasonic sensors, they're good for low speed but no so much for high speeds. There's quite a latency. Other carmakers use radar (which also does cross traffic alerts when pulling out of parking spaces) which I would assume is better.

But this forum taught me how to properly adjust my mirrors a few years ago, and for that I am eternally grateful. No need to depend on Blind Spot Detection or attach those silly looking blind spot mirrors.

Totally agree with you. I have same year and model and I would never rely on them. I have to always turn my head which delays me in quickly being able to change lanes. Most of the time I look at my screen and nothing is sonar and look to my right and a car is very apparent.
Blind spot warning is not there as a tool for lane changing, its a safety device, and works fine on the tesla. If you cant see the "blind spot" without turning your head, you either dont have your mirrors correctly set, or you are wearing sunnies that block your side vision. On one occasion I was changing lanes just as another car was doing the same. The tesla system absolutely alerted me, and avoided the collision.

Reactions: Jaff
The blind spot detection on the Tesla is not sufficient. I believe it's because they made a mistake in choosing ultrasonic sonar. Most other systems rely on cameras or radar or lidar.

I believe that the doppler effect would be a problem while moving at high speeds and introduce a few hundred ms of lag in sensor detection. At highway speeds, I believe anything > 50ms is insufficient.
No most (presume most means majority) other systems do not rely on camera or lidar.

Last edited by a moderator: