Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Blind Spot Detection is disappointing"

Are you happy with rear blind spot detection on your Tesla?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An easy improvement is to copy what many Honda models do: when the driver flips the signal indictor show the the rear (or better the side) camera view on half of the display. Tesla has a way to show rear camera on half the screen, but it is all time or none at all. While not as good as the radar based systems, something I could live with.

If Tesla put up the appropriate side rearward facing camera and the back camera when the turn signal was triggered it would be very nice. The footage that Tesla has previously released shows those rearward facing side cameras provide quality black and white views. (check out the video at Here’s what Tesla’s Autopilot 2.0 can see with its 8 cameras)

They may be able to combine the rearward side cameras on the front fender with the view from the B pillar cameras that look forwards and create a composite wide view of the area to the side of the car. I don't know how that would look but if it worked it would be very nice.

Another flaw is the lack of a blind-spot warning indicator on the side-view mirrors. I don't know about you, but when I'm changing lanes I'm not looking at the instrument cluster for wavy yellow lines.

Did Tesla engineers even spend 5 minutes thinking this design through before running with it?

Total fail!

Reactions: Reeler and David29
Another flaw is the lack of a blind-spot warning indicator on the side-view mirrors. I don't know about you, but when I'm changing lanes I'm not looking at the instrument cluster for wavy yellow lines.

Did Tesla engineers even spend 5 minutes thinking this design through before running with it?

Total fail!
I don't think Tesla engineers have much say. Elon said, "Hey, parking sensors sense around the car, so we'll use them for BSM! We already have 2 screens in the car already, so no need to add any indicators. Genius! I just figured out how to add BSM using just software! We don't have the software written yet, but let that not stop us from selling the feature". And so they did, then they wrote the software and realized it sucks, but it doesn't matter because they're working on the next Elon idea already, so they can just say " that's the old product, the current product is much better, it just doesn't work yet, but it will". See a pattern here?

@whitex Pattern of Tesla fixing the fails or broken promises of previous products with new products is certainly there. Be it meeting specs, battery revisions or indeed APs...
Actually the pattern is:
1. Promise future functionality which will be delivered via software update
2. Sell it, collect the money
3. Fail to deliver, but that's OK because the current cars have newer hardware which will deliver
4. Go to step 2

AP1, AP2 went through that cycle. 691hp for PD cars has gone though a number of iterations of this (P85D, three generations of P90D's, and now P100D which is the closest yet, but not there yet). AP will self drive one day, maybe AP5 hardware. All those who paid for the AP2 will just be told "Come on! Your car is over 8 years old! Just go buy a new one!"

I completely agree, @whitex. I can add one more, but small scenario. The automated charging port was promised when P85D was introduced in Norway. Tesla explained that the type 2 interface was too big for an automated port to fit. 1 year later every EU model got the automated port. The most unforgivable part is that they just secretly removed
  • Electrically opening, self-closing charge port door on Dual Motor Model S (delivered with Dual Motor Model S)

Compare Dual Motor Model S and Autopilot, with Dual Motor Model S and Autopilot

You can also look for other promises Tesla haven't delivered yet, after almost 3 years.