Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Blind Spot Detection is disappointing"

Are you happy with rear blind spot detection on your Tesla?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday I paid great attention as I was on a two lane in each direction divided highway. So to test the blink spot detection I stayed in the right lane as faster traffic was passing me on the left.

Results? Of the 25 autos that passed me on the left, not once did the blind side sensor subsystem illuminate. Ever. I wonder actually if a sensor is defective? Has anyone else tried this? My car was spotless so it was not dreck. The left sensor works when I am backing up and getting close to objects. How else to test this subsystem??
I have to agree with Artin's post: the blind spot detection is useless in moving traffic. It seems like that is the general flavor of this thread. Though this is not justification for an obviously flawed warning system, at least it explains why the service people at Tesla tells me: "they all do that".

I had an idea this morning.... you may think me crazy but here it goes.... when on a multi-lane highway, why not turn on the rear view camera's 17" display to show what is going on in the S's blind spot?

Thoughts... comments.... should I be "committed"? I have not tried it yet but will.

I had an idea this morning.... you may think me crazy but here it goes.... when on a multi-lane highway, why not turn on the rear view camera's 17" display to show what is going on in the S's blind spot?

Thoughts... comments.... should I be "committed"? I have not tried it yet but will.
The camera part can't see your blind spot, and the sensors won't show anything at speed on that screen.

Results? Of the 25 autos that passed me on the left, not once did the blind side sensor subsystem illuminate. Ever. I wonder actually if a sensor is defective? Has anyone else tried this? My car was spotless so it was not dreck. The left sensor works when I am backing up and getting close to objects. How else to test this subsystem??

Unless your lanes were extremely wide, I would say you have a defective sensor. I was playing with it too and the sensor triggers when you would almost clip the front of the car in the other lane. If they are overtaking you, you would hit them if you didn't also check.

Unless your lanes were extremely wide, I would say you have a defective sensor. I was playing with it too and the sensor triggers when you would almost clip the front of the car in the other lane. If they are overtaking you, you would hit them if you didn't also check.
Also, I have noticed that there may be a car in the "blind spot" yet the sonar sensors won't display it *until you turn on your turn signal*. I have only observed this behavior while on auto steer, but I imagine it is the same while steering manually. This may be the reason some are not getting alerted when cars are passing on the left.

The point is: how do you know that if you can't see it? If the mirror is moved you go from "can't see the back corner" to "can't see
the back corner" -- i.e., indistinguishable. Except now there's a blind spot that you're unaware of.

With the mirrors rotated out as described, it is very easy to get your bearings by just moving your head forward and back a few inches while looking at the side mirrors to cover a very wide angle (from paint job to guardrail; the pigeon dance move:D) with the forward action still in your field of vision all the time.

This is even easier if the outsides of the outside mirrors :) are spherical as opposed to plain.

• Disagree
Reactions: green1
That's a shame. For what it's worth, that's how Audi does it (a combo of ultrasonic and rear camera)...I know that, because when the rear camera went out, my blind spot system stopped working.
Seems HIGHLY unlikely. I can basically guarantee that the camera can't see what's currently in your blind spot, and the processing isn't really that accurate to do it by dead-reckoning with any level of reliability.
It is far more likely that something else stopped working at the same time as the camera.

Well....Audi fixed the blind spot detection by replacing the camera, and that was the resolution for the issue, so I'm fairly sure they're tied together. My wife's current car has the same system, I wonder what'll happen if I cover the camera with tape...

I have a Classic, so no fancy sensors on my car.

But I highly recommend using the technique linked below to set mirrors. I learned about it about ~15 years ago and use it in every car I drive -- and it effectively eliminates blind spots, even in cars with poor visibility out back. It does take a little time to get used to (took me about a week before I felt comfortable with it).

How To: Adjust Your Mirrors to Avoid Blind Spots - Feature

I have also always adjusted my side mirrors this way. If you can see the side of your car with the external mirrors, your adjustment is wrong and dangerous. The correct way gives you complete confidence when changing lanes.

• Disagree
Reactions: green1
I have also always adjusted my side mirrors this way. If you can see the side of your car with the external mirrors, your adjustment is wrong and dangerous. The correct way gives you complete confidence when changing lanes.
Unfortunately your way is extremely dangerous and gives you false confidence when changing lanes. If you can't see the side of your car then you have no idea what you are seeing, and you do still have a blind spot, it's just in a different spot. One that is extremely difficult to see by shoulder checking.

If you aren't turning your head and shoulder checking, you are a dangerous driver who shouldn't be on the road.

Unfortunately your way is extremely dangerous and gives you false confidence when changing lanes. If you can't see the side of your car then you have no idea what you are seeing, and you do still have a blind spot, it's just in a different spot. One that is extremely difficult to see by shoulder checking.

If you aren't turning your head and shoulder checking, you are a dangerous driver who shouldn't be on the road.

Wow! Your conclusion is a bit harsh I may add. 40 years driving, never caused or been in an accident. My side mirror setup is rock solid giving me a panoramic view where the rearview mirror ends on both sides, but thank you for your opinion.

Sorry but that is completely incorrect. And yes, by moving your head forward and back just a few inches each way you can cover a very wide field of vision, including seeing the side of your car. But in the position where you see your car, logic has it that the blind spot is the largest. Sorry, but dead wrong on this one as the default position.

Reactions: Caligula
Unfortunately your way is extremely dangerous and gives you false confidence when changing lanes. If you can't see the side of your car then you have no idea what you are seeing, and you do still have a blind spot, it's just in a different spot.

So, in effect, you're saying the Society of Automotive Engineers are recommending that we adjust our mirrors in an "extremely dangerous" manner. Sorry, but I'll go with their conclusion in the published paper over your opinion on an internet forum.

Last edited:
The "correct" image at around 1 min is wrong. If you lean to the window and adjust without seeing the side then the maximum you see behind you is what they show at 1:43. You probably would not see that lane marking at the top. The issue is that you can't see what they show 2 seconds earlier. Yes, often that is covered by your center mirror, but that view can be obstructed, especially if you are ever stuck in slow traffic in one lane and have a truck or large SUV behind you then it becomes very had to see approaching cars in the lane next to you. So yeah most of the time that is a great setup, but it fails once your center mirrors view into the next lane is blocked.