Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Blind Spot Detection is disappointing"

Are you happy with rear blind spot detection on your Tesla?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I rented a Chevy Impala over the weekend with Blind spot warning. The car was impressive, blind spot warning was 98%. None of these systems seem to ready for prime time. I'm going back "old School", check the mirrors.

Always check the mirrors. The blind spot warning I treat as last resort (either if I get careless or someone is drifting into my lane). On the Tesla, even though it's not the best, it *has* saved me from getting hit by a car intruding on my lane on more than one occasion.

I just rely on the "old school" way:
1) Extend side mirrors out so that I can hardly see my own car.
2) Have rear camera always on - more coverage than center rear view mirror.

ed422d788447f6b20cc73070760f6653.jpg

had fun sitting in the blind spot of an MB E class today, I could see the red triangle switching on/off in his driver's mirror as I moved in relation to his vehicle. Way very reliable.

Have to say that I agree this is one feature that Tesla could do with enhancing.
The current long range sonar on the rear quarter is sort of meh for this functionality to be reliable.
I have (carefully!) tried to change lane on AP which is aware of a car in the blind spot and refuses to change lane until it has cleared.

So the display could be improved for sure, although this can only be the IC as there is no warning in the side mirrors

I would say expect no major change until AP2.0 as new hardware will be required

had fun sitting in the blind spot of an MB E class today, I could see the red triangle switching on/off in his driver's mirror as I moved in relation to his vehicle. Way very reliable.

Have to say that I agree this is one feature that Tesla could do with enhancing.
The current long range sonar on the rear quarter is sort of meh for this functionality to be reliable.
I have (carefully!) tried to change lane on AP which is aware of a car in the blind spot and refuses to change lane until it has cleared.

So the display could be improved for sure, although this can only be the IC as there is no warning in the side mirrors

I would say expect no major change until AP2.0 as new hardware will be required

Yes, the ultrasonic sensors on the Tesla can't look very far, it really needs the rear-facing radars that most blind spot systems come with in addition to the ultrasonic sensors.

You mentioned the E-Class, it uses "two lateral, rear-facing radar sensors to monitor the area up to 130 feet behind your vehicle and up to 10 feet next to your vehicle."

Besides the aural and visual warnings you get, the E-Class system will also give a course-correcting brake application to keep you from hitting a vehicle in your blind spot. This course correction occurs whether or not their version of Autopilot is on.

Yes, the ultrasonic sensors on the Tesla can't look very far, it really needs the rear-facing radars that most blind spot systems come with in addition to the ultrasonic sensors.

You mentioned the E-Class, it uses "two lateral, rear-facing radar sensors to monitor the area up to 130 feet behind your vehicle and up to 10 feet next to your vehicle."

Besides the aural and visual warnings you get, the E-Class system will also give a course-correcting brake application to keep you from hitting a vehicle in your blind spot. This course correction occurs whether or not their version of Autopilot is on.

It's important for German cars to see far back because it's likely a car coming up behind on the Autobahn could be doing well over 100 MPH.

It's important for German cars to see far back because it's likely a car coming up behind on the Autobahn could be doing well over 100 MPH.

....and cars that are sold in Germany too.

Even inexpensive US cars that will never be on the autobahn have rear facing radars with their blind spot systems, even pickup trucks. Tesla is fairly unique in relying on the cheaper technology for blind spot detection.

After almost getting creamed tonight in a lane change (not on autopilot) to the left, I am beginning to get the impression that the blind spot detection system on my 2016 Tesla Model S 90D is not nearly as proactive as the side mirror-based warning systems for other cars. On my previous car, a 2015 Mercedes Benz E400 Coupe, it was almost impossible to miss a car traveling behind you, and even if you ignored the warning light in the side view mirror, the turn signal indicator would have a very loud warning beep enabling you to abort the lane change.
With the Tesla, the "cone" that you see on your dashboard indicates vehicles on your side, but they are literally right next to you before the alert.
I brought my car back to the Tesla store in Paramus and they tell me that the sensors are not adjustable, and that they "all work like that". Not a good answer. Tesla needs to increase the distance that triggers those warning zones. I am just curious whether anyone else out there has experienced the same limitations with blind spot detection, especially on the driver's side rear sensor.
I Just turned in a 2014 7 series and blind spot warning was 'spot on' ....I have experienced the same thing (owned for 2 weeks) as you do with my 2016 MS...is there no more of a visual system or audible warning in this car?

All modern cars use radar, my wife's Lincoln is spot on with blind spot but also warns when cars are around her when she is parked and puts in reverse or drive. Stuff like car approaching from left rear or front right with beep and visual. Radar vs ultrasonic is night and day.

My 2014 Lexus was 100% spot on. My 16 refresh MS is awful. i tested it today purposely letting cars drive into my blind spots and watched as my instrument panel only picked them up about 50% of the time. some of the cars were about 1 foot away from my rear bumper on either the right or left side and the ultrasonics didn't display them... very disappointing!!!

Why is this feature so lacking on our beloved high tech Tesla?

I think they had the parking sensors in the bumpers and some thoughtful engineers thought to stretch them to try to do blind spot detection. Brilliant attempt. The marketing folks started advertizing that feature to sell more cars. However brilliant, it is a dangerous claim to say those cars have blind spot detection.

i tested it today purposely letting cars drive into my blind spots and watched as my instrument panel only picked them up about 50% of the time. some of the cars were about 1 foot away from my rear bumper on either the right or left side and the ultrasonics didn't display them... very disappointing!!!

My understanding, only from reading here on the forum, is that there is also some delay in processing the ultrasonic sensors. If you were letting cars pass too fast, whatever that is, they may not have been solidly detected.

It was disappointing to see the article Elon linked on Twitter ( Tesla vs Texas: a 700-mile road trip in a new Model X ) say:

"To change lanes you simply indicate. The move over is smooth and faultlessly observed. If there’s a car gaining on you in the outside lane Autopilot will judge the closing speed and make a call with cool logic, as you would. If it decides to go, the Tesla steers out and up to speed smartly. As you would. Rival systems I’ve tried are wobbly gimmicks by comparison. Tesla’s begs your use whenever possible, the double-pull soon becoming instinctive."

Not sure what these guys were seeing, at least one earlier article said the same thing. Despite the fact that there's nothing but ultrasonics looking back to see that closing car. No wonder the "average" person thinks Autopilot can do everything.