Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Blind Spot Detection is disappointing"

Are you happy with rear blind spot detection on your Tesla?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Kind of worried that the AP 2.0 rumors today don't say anything about rear-facing cameras or radar to improve blind spot warning.

I'm not really convinced they need more sensors. The existing backup camera is a very high quality fisheye - likely very similar to the front fisheye that's in the triple camera packaging. Unfortunately, in the legacy and early AP Model S that camera links by LVDS straight into the center console, for screen display only.

The only change you'd really need for either blind spot warning or autonomous lane changing IMHO is to get an EyeQ3 type chip doing object recognition against the feed from that camera.

At this point, I have no reason to believe that newer cars (X, refreshed S) are any different from the older ones we know about above - but this is something Tesla could change at any time without there being much (any?) visible sign that they changed it unless you take the center console apart.

I was playing with the rear view camera (an app on the S) yesterday. Although it is very distracting due to the constant movement on the center screen, the rear view camera does show anything in either blind spot. Just thought I would throw that out there....

If there was a setting to invoke the rear camera view when using direction lights that would be a pretty slick option to have.... ??

I was playing with the rear view camera (an app on the S) yesterday. Although it is very distracting due to the constant movement on the center screen, the rear view camera does show anything in either blind spot. Just thought I would throw that out there....

If there was a setting to invoke the rear camera view when using direction lights that would be a pretty slick option to have.... ??

I think they could use the video camera to predict where the impinging cars are going until the proximity sensor finds the car. It would have to be predictive if there is a gap between the video sensor and the parking sensor, but car movement can be modeled pretty well to approximate the location or err on the side of warning if you don't know.

I believe the AP 2.0 rumors mention a forward dual or triple camera, but the actual 2.0 upgrade will feature additional sensors. The rumors are just incomplete, not necessarily fully accurate.

My guess is there are a couple phases involved. I think there's a mild upgrade coming fairly soon with pretty much just the triple cam (and hopefully the backup camera tied into the system?) - to be followed in a year or two by the full autonomous suite with 360 cameras and such. That's why I've taken to using the AP 1.5 label for the mild upgrade.

I saw on here that the Blind Spot Monitor sensors are supposed to see back 16 feet. After much testing, I'm sure that mine doesn't see back at all. It only sees a car as it is already passing my rear quarter panel which is too late. Could my rear sensor be defective?

I'm fearful of the 23 people who claim the blindspot monitoring works for them.

I hope they're not next to me on the freeway.

It's like having a backup that only works half the time. I don't know about you, but I don't want a backup that only works half the time.

It does have the advantage of being so bad that you would never ever trust it so it's never going to cause you to become careless. But, if you ever begin to think it works it's going to come back to bite you.

Last edited:
I'm fearful of the 23 people who claim the blindspot monitoring works for them.

I hope they're not next to me on the freeway.

It's like having a backup that only works half the time. I don't know about you, but I don't want a backup that only works half the time.

It does have the advantage of being so bad that you would never ever trust it so it's never going to cause you to become careless. But, if you ever begin to think it works it's going to come back to bite you.

Can't agree more. I have an elderly father that has a Mercedes and we were driving yesterday. The blindspot notification on his C-class triggered where the Tesla never would. He relies on the blindspot detector and until it is better than Mercedes, I can't recommend a Tesla to him. The use of sonar instead of radar was a big fail.

Reactions: William3 and EVger
Can't agree more. I have an elderly father that has a Mercedes and we were driving yesterday. The blindspot notification on his C-class triggered where the Tesla never would. He relies on the blindspot detector and until it is better than Mercedes, I can't recommend a Tesla to him. The use of sonar instead of radar was a big fail.

Does Mercedes have corner firing radar? I thought they were using ultrasonic as well, at least until extremely recently?

Ford uses radar on each rear fender for BLIS. Ultrasonic is never going to work for that. My 2013 Ford Fusion Energi has the same 12 ultrasonic sensors as my Tesla but they are only used for parking.

My 2011 Volvo XC60 has a small camera under each side view mirror. The BLIS system works great with bride indicators just inside each side view mirror. Only downfall is rain water beads that cloud the camera. Some RAINX solved that issue. BTW, the FORD BLIS system was taken from Volvo's just before the two companies split apart. Volvo was way out ahead with their early Mobileye implementation and Adaptive Cruise Control which is similar to TACC. ACC does not restart the car after a full stop however, on my XC60. TACC does.