Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blind spot detection on AP1 and AP2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

electric_feel

The Electric Baron
May 29, 2016
SoCal
I'm considering an upgrade to a used Model S with either AutoPilot 1 or 2. Blind spot detection will be important for me, so I wanted to understand how it works on both AP1 and AP2. For either AP, is it necessary to turn on Autopilot in order to see those visualizations on the dashboard screen? If you're moving into another lane, with and without using the turn signal, will AP1 or AP2 display other vehicles?

I'm considering an upgrade to a used Model S with either AutoPilot 1 or 2. Blind spot detection will be important for me, so I wanted to understand how it works on both AP1 and AP2. For either AP, is it necessary to turn on Autopilot in order to see those visualizations on the dashboard screen? If you're moving into another lane, with and without using the turn signal, will AP1 or AP2 display other vehicles?

This is what I understand:

There are two kinds of blindspot displays.

Sonar: It would display as rays surrounding your car in different colors depending on proximity. Sonar displays are both in AP1 and AP2 whether you turn them on or not.

DVUFU7VVoAAVlp6.jpg

Photo: Twitter.com

Camera: It would display as car icons surrounding your car. This displays in AP2 whether you turn them on or not. AP 1 has only 1 front camera so it does not have this feature as pictured below.

Tesla-V9-blind-spot-detection.jpg

Photo from Teslarati

AP1 can do AutoLane Change at the request of the driver by flipping the signal stalk but it can only deal with short distance detection of sonars so I would not rely on an AutoLane Change nor its nearsighted blindspot sonars with AP1.

Enhanced Autopilot (which is no longer sold after 2/28/2019) and FSD both have AutoLane Change either by the system itself without the user's request (Navigation on Autopilot) or manually by the driver who would flip the turn signal. It works very well for me and better than me doing it manually so far.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: NoMoGas
AP1 does not have blind spot detection.

Some will suggest that’s what the sonar display is but it is by no means functional. And you do not need to have AP engaged to see the rings.

This!

I'm also annoyed by the lack of proper blind spot monitoring, like in ANY other car out there. As soon as my AP1 S gets here, I'll start looking into solutions. I've seen aftermarket systems to ad lights near the left/right mirror and sensors in the rear bumper. Can't be hard to install.

...AP1 does not have blind spot detection...

I agree that AP1 blind spot detection should not be called as such.

We might not like what AP1 has but it is what it is: short range sonars which are more suitable for parking and not as @cucubits says "proper blind spot monitoring, like in ANY other car out there".

This article in 2015 describes it as "Blind Spot Detection" despite the insufficiency.

Tesla v7.0 software update boosts self-driving capabilities; Autopilot arrives

Thus, for those who want a proper blind spot detection, I would not buy AP1. Instead, I would aim for AP2 and above that offers AutoLane Change which has worked so well for me even when there were speeding cars from far behind from both sides.

Thank you for the replies. If I do go forward with looking for a newer, but used, vehicle, I'll make sure it's an AP2 Model S.

I'm not sure what the issue is. I have AP 1 and it not only tells you cars are there but PHYSICALLY STOPS YOU from turning into them. It will then sound an alarm.

It used to be more vocal befe the new UI but it absolutely is blind spot detection.

• Disagree
Reactions: glide
AP1 can do AutoLane Change at the request of the driver by flipping the signal stalk but it can only deal with short distance detection of sonars so I would not rely on an AutoLane Change nor its nearsighted blindspot sonars with AP1.

By short distance you mean 35 feet... 3 lanes across. I've used Auto Lane Change for nnearly 200,000 miles with ZERO problems.

• Disagree
Reactions: glide
By short distance you mean 35 feet... 3 lanes across. I've used Auto Lane Change for nnearly 200,000 miles with ZERO problems.

No doubt that you can use AP1 successfully.

AP1 sonars are rated as 5 meters or 16 feet as reported by Tesla blog.

A Model S' width is 196 inches or 16 feet and 4 inches.

AP1 sonars can hardly cover a typical length of a Model S running behind on the sides and it would be invisible to sonars due to out of range.

I have driven AP1 as a loaner before. It is very safe if I practice manual supervision. Not so, if I don't watch for those speedy cars approaching to my sides while they were out of the 16-foot sonar range.

No doubt that you can use AP1 successfully.

AP1 sonars are rated as 5 meters or 16 feet as reported by Tesla blog.

A Model S' width is 196 inches or 16 feet and 4 inches.

AP1 sonars can hardly cover a typical length of a Model S running behind on the sides and it would be invisible to sonars due to out of range.

I have driven AP1 as a loaner before. It is very safe if I practice manual supervision. Not so, if I don't watch for those speedy cars approaching to my sides while they were out of the 16-foot sonar range.

You are correct about the range sir, but your assumption is off. The 16 feet is in all directions off the rear and front bumpers, giving you 32 feet of coverage next to the car and 16 feet (or 1.5 lanes) out. This is actually better then most normal blind spot detection, but not good enough for full self drive. Your point about speeding cars is apt, but that's always the case and you should always check your mirrors... truth is if they are set properly there is no blind spot, but that's a seperate debate :p

I agree that HW 2 and 3 are better though, but 1 is quite good as well.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: glide and Tam
I delayed my X purchase until AP2 came out, specifically for blindspot detection before we knew anything about AP2. It still took a while for the functionality to improve, but AP2 seems good at it now. I haven't really tried it for manual driving, but Autosteer or NOA have been very good at avoiding other cars during lane changes.

You are correct about the range sir, but your assumption is off. The 16 feet is in all directions off the rear and front bumpers, giving you 32 feet of coverage next to the car and 16 feet (or 1.5 lanes) out. This is actually better then most normal blind spot detection, but not good enough for full self drive. Your point about speeding cars is apt, but that's always the case and you should always check your mirrors... truth is if they are set properly there is no blind spot, but that's a seperate debate :p

I agree that HW 2 and 3 are better though, but 1 is quite good as well.
Agreed. You can state that AP2 is better and you'll get no arguments out of me but the difference between those two systems and the price for that difference is where the debate lies. People DEEPLY underestimate how good AP1 is compared to AP2 and (more importantly) every other version of "auto pilot" on the market today. This is fine by me because it makes the older cars that much better of a deal. You basically get 90% of the car for 50% of the price which I'm all for. I just quietly shake my head when people call AP1 cars worthless when the newer cars have like one or two features over the AP1 cars that I would actually find useful personally. No way can I justify the price difference for those few features.

I'm not sure what the issue is. I have AP 1 and it not only tells you cars are there but PHYSICALLY STOPS YOU from turning into them. It will then sound an alarm.

It used to be more vocal before the new UI but it absolutely is blind spot detection.
We have had our MS since 2015 and No,,, it will no keep you from turning into an adjacent car. Back when it was Mobile Eye, I do seem to remember it warning us if we were 'Close' to an object but it has never had the range to 'see' at any distance that is sufficient to save your butt at any speed over 5 MPH. Mostly a parking feature and weak at that

Can confirm that AP1 has prevented a lane change while on autopilot because a car was in my blind spot. Can ALSO confirm that it seemed to have no qualms at all with letting me attempt to change lanes manually (while not on autopilot) and almost plow into a car in my blind spot - no warning whatsoever, and no obvious sonar ping. Long story short, I would consider AP1 to be not extremely reliable blind spot detection.

Can confirm that AP1 has prevented a lane change while on autopilot because a car was in my blind spot. Can ALSO confirm that it seemed to have no qualms at all with letting me attempt to change lanes manually (while not on autopilot) and almost plow into a car in my blind spot - no warning whatsoever, and no obvious sonar ping. Long story short, I would consider AP1 to be not extremely reliable blind spot detection.
When you say 'Prevented', do you mean that while in AP, and you activate the turn signal, the car would not automatically change lanes?
or you manually tried to move into another lane and the car offered resistance AND audible tones?
The reason I ask, our car 'while in AP,' will not automatically change lanes if the sonar arcs are lite, but it has never made any audible tones. I only get the audible tones if I have the Parking Aid notifications turned on in the controls section and I an too close to an object while parking, never driving. When it was Mobile Eye, the car (as I remember it) had more audible alerts, but time changes a lot of my memories !!
v10.0 (32.12.7 58f3b76)