Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blind spot detection semi in wrong lane.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This past week I have been driving some more on a 3 or 4 lane highway.
What I noticed is that I get alot of fake blind spot warnings / correction when in autopilot, and I wonder if that is “normal” for a Tesla.

So example:

I’m in lane 3 passing a car, when I pass the car I want to make room in lane 3.
I put my blinker on to get back into lane 2.
There is a truck/semi in lane 1, suddenly autopilot sees the truck in lane 1 and right away thinks that the truck is going into lane 2 wich is not true at all. (He is steady in lane 1) (at first when in lane 3 cars and trucks are not visable in lane 1 on the display)
Autopilot quickly corrects by braking and swerving back into lane 3. Including the horror beeps.
Car behind me offcourse flashes his lights, angry at Elon Musk probably.
I have to manual override and push my car into lane 2.

So basicly this almost always happen when there is a truck present. Cars no problem.

Also the car will brake when it is only in cruise control. So everytime there is a truck present I have to shut of autopilot and cruisecontrol for a bit.

I did a camera recalibration and steeringwheel reset to no succes.

So is this normall for the prediction to make my highway drive a bit more stressfull on autopilot/cruise control.
Or is there something wrong with the autopilot computer?

Reactions: Blackbart
While I wouldn't necessarily say "normal" (as it it happens almost all of the time), I would say that it's "common" (happens around half the time for me). I've found that I have to anticipate this behavior and if necessary be ready to take over if necessary.

While I wouldn't necessarily say "normal" (as it it happens almost all of the time), I would say that it's "common" (happens around half the time for me). I've found that I have to anticipate this behavior and if necessary be ready to take over if necessary.
Agreed - consistent with what I see as well. The random “which cars to make red” issue particularly annoys me since this is the core of Tesla’s alleged blind spot system.

Reactions: RTPEV