Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

blind spot detection system

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the new tech package offer blind spot detection system. I know it has radars that surround the car, but does it have anything that lights up in the side mirror or beep at you when your changing lanes? Can't seem to find any info about this anywhere.

The car currently does not offer blind spot detection, however the current models have all the hardware it needs in terms of sensors.

There are no lights in the mirrors (unless they're really well hidden) but they will likely use icons in the instrument panel to indicate cars in the blind spot. All they need to do is enable it via a future software update.

I just wanted to see if there is something like a light in the side mirror or in the glass itself that will let you know. From what I have read, same thing everyone knows, that the hardware is there, but nothing yet. I'm really hoping they do something with it. One thing that held me from getting pre-auto pilot was that it didn't have it. For god sakes, even a 30K kia has that features.

I just wanted to see if there is something like a light in the side mirror or in the glass itself that will let you know. From what I have read, same thing everyone knows, that the hardware is there, but nothing yet. I'm really hoping they do something with it. One thing that held me from getting pre-auto pilot was that it didn't have it. For god sakes, even a 30K kia has that features.

For god sakes, even a 30k kia has a far more complex ICE engine, maybe we should ask for that too...

Yes.. The hardware is there, we're just waiting on the software updates. Here is the dash graphic they showed at the October event:

autopilot.jpg

Not yet, but I think Tesla has been clear that blind spot detection will be added in the future (likely later this year, via firmware updates) to all cars that have Auto Pilot hardware and the Tech Package option.
I think blind spot detection was proposed as a safety feature. They were pretty clear that all cars would get the safety features, and those with the Technology package would get the convenience features.

I wonder if they will have the capability of recognizing pedestrians on neighborhood streets as a safety upgrade with the current autopilot upgrade down the line as software is developed? I love my Tesla but have found with no engine noise pedestrians who are distracted dont pay attention and sometimes wonder in the street.

I wonder if they will have the capability of recognizing pedestrians on neighborhood streets as a safety upgrade with the current autopilot upgrade down the line as software is developed? I love my Tesla but have found with no engine noise pedestrians who are distracted dont pay attention and sometimes wonder in the street.

My car recognized a pedestrian and gave a "collision warning" the other day in a parking lot. I wasn't even going fast, but I do have the setting on "early" for the warning.