TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

blind spot detection system

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by 647chang, Feb 5, 2015.

1. 647chang

647chang Member

Does the new tech package offer blind spot detection system. I know it has radars that surround the car, but does it have anything that lights up in the side mirror or beep at you when your changing lanes? Can't seem to find any info about this anywhere.

2. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Not yet, but I think Tesla has been clear that blind spot detection will be added in the future (likely later this year, via firmware updates) to all cars that have Auto Pilot hardware and the Tech Package option.

3. morbot

morbot Member

The car currently does not offer blind spot detection, however the current models have all the hardware it needs in terms of sensors.

There are no lights in the mirrors (unless they're really well hidden) but they will likely use icons in the instrument panel to indicate cars in the blind spot. All they need to do is enable it via a future software update.

4. 647chang

647chang Member

I just wanted to see if there is something like a light in the side mirror or in the glass itself that will let you know. From what I have read, same thing everyone knows, that the hardware is there, but nothing yet. I'm really hoping they do something with it. One thing that held me from getting pre-auto pilot was that it didn't have it. For god sakes, even a 30K kia has that features.

5. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

For god sakes, even a 30k kia has a far more complex ICE engine, maybe we should ask for that too...

6. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

If you go back and watch the D announcement from October you'll see that they draw all cars around your car on the dashboard. Better blind spot depiction than any other car I've seen. Coming soon*.

*Hopefully not Tesla's version of soon.

7. pdx

pdx Member

Yes.. The hardware is there, we're just waiting on the software updates. Here is the dash graphic they showed at the October event:

autopilot.jpg

8. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

I think blind spot detection was proposed as a safety feature. They were pretty clear that all cars would get the safety features, and those with the Technology package would get the convenience features.

9. phomer4464

phomer4464 New Member

I wonder if they will have the capability of recognizing pedestrians on neighborhood streets as a safety upgrade with the current autopilot upgrade down the line as software is developed? I love my Tesla but have found with no engine noise pedestrians who are distracted dont pay attention and sometimes wonder in the street.

10. DieAbetic

DieAbetic Member

My car recognized a pedestrian and gave a "collision warning" the other day in a parking lot. I wasn't even going fast, but I do have the setting on "early" for the warning.