Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blind spot detection.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also find that the left (Driver's side) mirror does not adjust outward quite as much as I'm used to. That said, I'm able to get it out far enough that cars are always visible either in that mirror or in my peripheral vision. FWIW the cars always turn red when they should in my visualization.

I've had my Model 3 for over a year and I have never seen a red vehicle warning when changing lanes. I see them all the time in front if I'm approaching too fast, but never to the sides.

Had a REALLY weird red vehicle warning today.....Driving on interstate and traffic was just ok....I am a few cars behind a jacked up, small dick syndrome, truck and suddenly hear the loud beep beep beep that means "look up, you are going to crash"....But I was staring up and fine, then I look at the visualization display and in FRONT OF the jacked up truck, the car was lit up red !....I was like WTF and then the truck reacted to the car and braked hard. I had plenty of room.

HOW the fuk did the Tesla computer see the car in front of the truck was braking hard to warn me ?????? I couldn't even see it. I am still baffled by this. But it saw it, and beeped loud to tell me to prepare to brake hard, and lit up the car, two cars in front, in red.

Had a REALLY weird red vehicle warning today.....Driving on interstate and traffic was just ok....I am a few cars behind a jacked up, small dick syndrome, truck and suddenly hear the loud beep beep beep that means "look up, you are going to crash"....But I was staring up and fine, then I look at the visualization display and in FRONT OF the jacked up truck, the car was lit up red !....I was like WTF and then the truck reacted to the car and braked hard. I had plenty of room.

HOW the fuk did the Tesla computer see the car in front of the truck was braking hard to warn me ?????? I couldn't even see it. I am still baffled by this. But it saw it, and beeped loud to tell me to prepare to brake hard, and lit up the car, two cars in front, in red.

The radar can see cars ahead based on signals bouncing under the car immediately in front of you- that's been a thing since AP2 in 2016

Elon Musk explains Tesla Autopilot's new capacity to see ahead of the car in front of you - Electrek

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
I have been told my multiple sources (doesn't mean any are correct!) that you have to both have the turn signal on and be moving toward the traffic before it turns red and yells. I have never gotten it to alert unless the above criteria is met. FWIW, I hope they change it to alert if there is a threat there.

Last edited:
12CB4F5E-F5D9-49A6-9949-89DD4DE5DB4C.jpeg 12CB4F5E-F5D9-49A6-9949-89DD4DE5DB4C.jpeg
12CB4F5E-F5D9-49A6-9949-89DD4DE5DB4C.jpeg
12CB4F5E-F5D9-49A6-9949-89DD4DE5DB4C.jpeg
Very true, and above instructions are good advice.
But this implies that one can adjust AND actively use mirrors properly, for BSD and other functions.
Unfortunately, this is not likely to happen on Model 3's for at least two (2) reasons:
  1. Model 3's side view mirrors are not wide enough, and don't swing out far enough to provide proper coverage angles.
  2. Tesla preaches, and most folks on this forum trust and rely, that Tesla's software will take care of BSD and most other driver's responsibilities.
To answer OP's question - yes, the v10 blind spot threat (red car) notification has been inconsistent and temperamental. You should rely on it just about as much as you feel comfortable relying on all other AP features.

Namely - trust, but verify at every turn (pun intended)!
Even when using the screen my right on the 2 o’clock position covers bottom left of the screen where a car on my blind spot is displayed
214CB8C5-C4FC-42DA-BA78-ADC4373BDBE8.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White

Teslas will react to cars in front of the car in front of you also. It uses radar and bounces the signal under the car in front of you to track the vehicle in front of them.