Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blind Spot Detection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have had my Tesla a few weeks now and absolutely love it. Only one disappointment - the car doesn't seem to have any blind spot detection capability that I can find. The Mercedes I traded really screamed at you if you hit the left turn signal for a lane change and there was a car next to your left rear fender. With my Tesla there appears to be no audible warning signal and just once I think I saw a brief flash of a visual warning image on the dashboard screen.

Am I missing something here? Perhaps my car has a problem?

It has a blind spot warning. It beeps if you start to change lanes when there is a car in your blind spot. This happens whether you are signaling or not. There is an indication on the dash that a car is in your blind spot. I, and many others would prefer if this indication were on the side view mirrors where you are looking anyway, but the hardware is not there.
If I don't point it out, others will, so if you set your side mirrors correctly, angled out so you can't see the side of the car unless you lean towards the mirror, then there is NO blind spot.

OP, looking through the manual just now, it appears the current term Tesla uses is "Side Collision Warning", not BSM like I used to also know it on my Lexus and MBZ... Anyway, assuming you are on v7.0 software, on my 90D with AutoPilot, I turn that on and off via Settings / Driver Assistance / Lane Assist / Side Collision Warning / ON. I don't know if that option may present itself differently on a MS without Auto Pilot hardware if that is your situation -- the manual wasn't very specific when I just double checked there. Check your settings and make sure you don't have something turned off.

The Mercedes I traded really screamed at you if you hit the left turn signal for a lane change and there was a car next to your left rear fender.

I have sent this exact request to Tesla through their owner feedback. It's the only interface that makes sense. If you signal your intention to change lanes, there should be an audible warning at that point, not after you start changing lanes and nearly collide.