Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blind Spot [I want a chime for blind spot warning]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree that having an audible sound in addition to the red car on screen would be helpful. It could have a toggle switch to turn it off if you don’t like it.

I also would like to see a rear cross traffic alert on the Model 3. I imagine that would require additional hardware since there are no cameras on the rear sides. When I’m backing out of a parking space I inevitably have two giant SUVs on each side of me and I can’t see cross traffic on either side until I back up at least a few feet. It’s not normally a big problem but there is something about Costco shoppers that causes them to completely ignore cars trying to back out of a parking spot and just blow right past them as they are backing up.

Not sure about all 3's but both of my side mirrors adjust out far enough to eliminate blind spots with a little more to spare.

IMG_6019.JPG
IMG_6018.JPG

Hello all,

I have twice tweeted to Elon to enable a sound warning, when there's traffic in the adjacent lane. It is very hard or almost impossible to keep your eye on the screen and see the vehicle in red, all they need is to give us a sound warning. Can we try to get this pushed. This is the only thing i am missing with the Model 3 ( i can live without the heated steering wheel)
Thanks
I agree, my Mercedes Benz does it, my Audi does it, why would Model Y not warn me if I turn on my signal on that there's a vehicle right behind to me? It's the minimum expected from modern vehicles these days....

The steering wheel vibration thing was a very smart move imo and the system was highly accurate with very less false positives. Every time I drive another car I miss this. Haven't gotten my M3 yet, but I wish Tesla would've thought of something similar.

It wouldn't be hard for Tesla to do the same thing since they already have control over the steering wheel for lane keeping...

I changed to the correct, more outward side mirror position decades ago. It's a bit disorienting at first but that's because you are used to the mirrors showing the WRONG spot! Still, there's no substitute for looking over your shoulder and that's not a habit I plan to stop, correct mirror position or not!

Mike

I agree, my Mercedes Benz does it, my Audi does it, why would Model Y not warn me if I turn on my signal on that there's a vehicle right behind to me? It's the minimum expected from modern vehicles these days....
Dunno, but checking over your shoulder or using your side mirrors, correctly adjusted, should still be your primary means of checking for a vehicle. Vehicle warning systems should be considered as secondary and additional safety.

The problem with relying upon these blindspot systems is that they have limited range. They are looking for vehicles currently IN your blindspot, and a little beyond; however, you can find examples in any car owner's forum, where people have experienced drivers going 20 to 30mph faster; fast enough and far enough behind that the blind spot system doesn't catch these fast moving cars before they enter your blind spot, as you begin a lane change. Having said that, even an attentive and alert driver with properly adjusted mirrors would have difficulty seeing these drivers, but humans still seem to have a slight advantage in detecting these fast-moving objects over computers.

Reactions: TBrownTX
I changed to the correct, more outward side mirror position decades ago. It's a bit disorienting at first but that's because you are used to the mirrors showing the WRONG spot! Still, there's no substitute for looking over your shoulder and that's not a habit I plan to stop, correct mirror position or not!

Mike

Taking your eyes off the direction are going. One the worst habits drivers have today.

Taking your eyes off the direction are going. One the worst habits drivers have today.
That’s ridiculous. He’s looking over his shoulder to merge into another lane. Or maybe you suggest taking your eyes off of the direction you’re going in order to look into the rear view mirror. Also, better not look away from the road to change the radio station or to even look at the passenger sitting right next to you.

Mike
I need my mirror adjusted differently so I don't crash when backing in the garage, and agree 100% there's no substitute for looking over your shoulder.

Still, seems like some missed opportunity here to do something from an assist standpoint, the car knows there's something in the blind spot, it should warn one way or another for sure.

Then again, my M3 doesn't really have a "blind spot". After years of driving coupes, where you could hide an F150, this car is super easy to check w/ a glance.

Tim

That’s ridiculous. He’s looking over his shoulder to merge into another lane. Or maybe you suggest taking your eyes off of the direction you’re going in order to look into the rear view mirror. Also, better not look away from the road to change the radio station or to even look at the passenger sitting right next to you.

If he turns his head and a car in front of them slams on their brakes, he could be screwed. Looking at any mirror, you are still looking forward and can recognize a car in front of you.

Using your argument, it would be ok to look at your phone to text too.

You know maybe if everyone kept their eyes forward on the road, we would have way less accidents and much smoother traffic flow.

Are you the person who just turns on the blinkers (maybe), expects everyone else to get out of the way, and then moves your two-ton wheeled murderbox hoping for the best?

A proper blind-spot check takes about a quarter-second to execute; if you're following too closely for that to be a sufficient safety margin that speaks volumes in and of itself.

Are you the person who just turns on the blinkers (maybe), expects everyone else to get out of the way, and then moves your two-ton wheeled murderbox hoping for the best?

A proper blind-spot check takes about a quarter-second to execute; if you're following too closely for that to be a sufficient safety margin that speaks volumes in and of itself.

Nice assumption. Nope, I am always aware of my surroundings and check my mirrors constantly. I have never once in my life had to turn my head to ensure clearance, and yes I use blinkers.

People like him are the reasons you cant have higher speed limits in the usa haha.

Actually the people that turn their head backwards would be more likely to slow down as a precaution, thus causing slower speeds (and a significant decrease in speed for others behind him in heavy traffic).

Either way, it is fairly clear and obvious it would be safer to glance at a camera with a 100% view of the side of the car for several lanes to the side and behind, than to shoulder check.