Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blind spot image needs to be larger and more toward center of screen, its present location is obstructed by steering wheel.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like the new blind spot image, sort of, but since my hand obstructs my view of it, it is still much easier for me to ensure my mirrors are set properly and turn my head. Probably safer also and what I’m used to after decades of driving. I do think Tesla is on the right track with this, just not there yet.

Can't get myself to rely on it. I still do a shoulder check.
You’re smart.

IME, the blind spot monitor is basically useless. The video is poorly positioned, partially blocked by the steering wheel and/or your hands. At night, glare from the blinker makes it unusable, even during the day the image is difficult to see and interpret. The location also forces you to take your eyes off the road, even for the right mirror. For the left mirror you have to turn your head the opposite direction.

You’re best off making sure your mirrors are adjusted properly and using them.

Reactions: DadRS99
Some may like it, but I don't fine the Blind Spot Monitor to be very useful. It forces me to take my eyes off the road too long to view the screen to see what's going on and I fine the image is a bit misleading as vehicles seen in the camera view look further away than they really are. That's something that will take some time to get the feel for proximity. I fine it safer to use the mirrors like I've done for the last 58 years. Unfortunately I think they cheaped-out on the design by not having the mirrors light up like ever other vehicle out there and this is probably the best they can do.

Reactions: chand and sleepydoc