Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blind Spot Indicator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is no real answer to that question, of course, but I agree.
It is odd, really, that Tesla has a sort of "blind spot" itself regarding the cars' features. Not only have they have refused to use decent blind spot indication even though it has been standard technology on most cars for many years, but also the company seems "blind" to the value (and their customers' desire) for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, heads-up displays, a more complete telephone interface, speed-responsive audio volume, navigation waypoints, more choice in paint colors and interior finishes, etc. Even some of the features they have are not as good as the competition's -- automatic parking being a prominent example. In some ways the cars are very advanced, yet in others they are quite far behind in common technology.
In the past, many people have dismissed at least some of these complaints because Tesla is so good at the basic car design and function, and because Tesla is a new, young company with limited resources compared to the more established manufacturers, etc. But that argument is getting old. Tesla is no longer so young, no longer so strapped for resources.
Personally, I would much rather see a useful blind spot warning system (as well as cross-traffic warning at the rear) than the video games and Easter eggs they like to show off, which don't add to my safety.

David, very well said. I just don't understand why they can't improve this over the air. There is so much that can be done nowadays that way that blind spot improvement shouldn't be such a huge problem. Most cars regardless of price have blind spot indicators that greatly improve upon safety features. It just doesn't make sense to me. You got it so right! Maybe Tesla can answer and explain when we can expect a real fully functioning indicator. For such an advanced car, so many basic features are still lacking!

My lowly 2013 Ford Fusion Energi has a radar transceiver in both rear fenders to provide blind spot and cross traffic alerts. Blind spot alerts include a yellow light in the driver side mirror. Tesla uses the ultrasonic sensors for blind spot which means they have way less range than a radar does.

Yeah, it’s bad. Like last decade bad.

I do think these type of options are secondary to Tesla’s initial challenge of making affordable EVs. On low volume production at a startup, these things had to be outsourced.

Next, Tesla adds FSD and digital margins to its focus. I think it’s arguable that struggle with FSD has delayed getting such simple features. Why dedicate resources and investment to building a “driver” tech when you see FSD and robo taxis replacing it i

Last edited:
All a matter of priorities. Tesla has to make thousands of decisions about operating the business and achieving their mission and vision. There will always be differences in opinion about what should be prioritized first, but Tesla will decide the priorities for their business. If consumers disagree then they have the right to buy something different from a manufacturer that is more aligned with their opinion about priorities. If a 2013 Ford Fusion is better than a Tesla because the blindspot functionality is superior, then buy and drive the Fusion. I prefer my Model S.

Be careful what you wish for RE “beeps” and “sounds”.

Our other car is a Subaru Ascent that has their “eye sight” driver assistance stuff. I’ve never been in such a beepy noisy obnoxious car in my life.

It beeps when you even think about departing your lane.

When the radar cruise detects a car in front of you.

When the radar cruise no longer detects a car in front of you.

When a car enters your blind spot.

When it detects lane markings for the lane keep assist.

When it loses markings for the lane keep assist.

... and on and on.

It’s the most annoying car I’ve ever driven. You can turn some of it off after digging around in the terribly designed UI for an hour or so, but not all of it.

Tesla’s BSM is indeed warm garbage, but I’ll generally take “needing to pay a bit more attention” over “incessant beeping nanny” any day of the week.

All a matter of priorities. Tesla has to make thousands of decisions about operating the business and achieving their mission and vision. There will always be differences in opinion about what should be prioritized first, but Tesla will decide the priorities for their business. If consumers disagree then they have the right to buy something different from a manufacturer that is more aligned with their opinion about priorities. If a 2013 Ford Fusion is better than a Tesla because the blindspot functionality is superior, then buy and drive the Fusion. I prefer my Model S.
The 2013 Ford Fusion was used as an illustrative example, to show that even very inexpensive cars had this technology many years ago, not to suggest that people choose to drive 2013 Ford Fusion over 2020 Model S, especially if it was the same price. The comparisons customers will make is against other cars in the same price range.

Reactions: BlindPass
Why hasn't Tesla improved blind spot indicator? One of the worst ever. Why can't there be a beep or some sound indicating a car is approaching on the side? Why can't the indicator perform before a car is basically next to you? . Dangerous and poorly designed.

There is no real answer to that question,

The answer is quite simple:

"You bought the car."

• Disagree
Reactions: EVortex and DBV1
Not only have they have refused to use decent blind spot indication even though it has been standard technology on most cars for many years, but also the company seems "blind" to the value [of]........

........a more complete telephone interface,

Screenshot_20200809_084250.jpg

This ^^^ would make a decent upgrade to voice dialling. I just don't get why they haven't thought of it!

• Funny
Reactions: David29
I have the impression that if you try to change lane when there is a car coming behind you,
you will feel some vibrations in the steering wheel and the car will try to put you back into your lane.

This what I experienced while I was entering into a freeway but the car following me decided to pass me.
I had to look at my dashcam recording to understand what was the cause of the his steering wheel action.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
While I agree, better blind spot detection is needed, I believe Tesla has de-prioritized this just like they do with HUD. Their vision is to get to full level 5 autonomy where the car will drive itself and humans won’t need to worry about blinds spots. We of course know this is at least 5 years away, but Elon won’t admit that. Every once in awhile, Telsa will improve the safety features such as adding camera angles when in reverse, which makes this more puzzling at times.

The lack of adoption of CarPlay and Android Auto is just Tesla’s ignorance that they can do it better, which they clearly can’t for infotainment systems.

Reactions: BlindPass
While I agree, better blind spot detection is needed, I believe Tesla has de-prioritized this just like they do with HUD. Their vision is to get to full level 5 autonomy where the car will drive itself and humans won’t need to worry about blinds spots. We of course know this is at least 5 years away, but Elon won’t admit that. Every once in awhile, Telsa will improve the safety features such as adding camera angles when in reverse, which makes this more puzzling at times.

The lack of adoption of CarPlay and Android Auto is just Tesla’s ignorance that they can do it better, which they clearly can’t for infotainment systems.
I'm sorry, isn't being able to tell if something is in your blind spot kinda a basic prerequisite of level 5 autonomy? Or is this like saying "we're going to the moon, so let's not worry about the fact that we have no way to launch anything higher than 10,000 feet". This is not like "Teslas don't need good driver controls, such as not requiring the user to use a touch screen control to change wiper speed, because the cars will drive themselves by end of the year for sure". Blind spot monitoring is definitely a part of level 5 autonomy.