Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blind Spot Monitoring

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been driving the Y for a month now. I am still struggling with the blind spot monitoring, since it is not the traditional blind spot monitoring. I have on occasions had make a quick turn not to run in to cars in my blind spot.

Can someone please tell me how the blind spot monitoring is supposed work for the Y? I read the manual and it says we are supposed to see an arc - white to red for the blind spot monitoring. In my car either I have never seen the red arc [mostly white] when the car is in my blind spot. More importantly you have to take your eye off the road to look at the monitor which in my opinion creates a dangerous situation when you have cars in front of you.

Thanks.

I have been driving the Y for a month now. I am still struggling with the blind spot monitoring, since it is not the traditional blind spot monitoring. I have on occasions had make a quick turn not to run in to cars in my blind spot.

Can someone please tell me how the blind spot monitoring is supposed work for the Y? I read the manual and it says we are supposed to see an arc - white to red for the blind spot monitoring. In my car either I have never seen the red arc [mostly white] when the car is in my blind spot. More importantly you have to take your eye off the road to look at the monitor which in my opinion creates a dangerous situation when you have cars in front of you.

Thanks.
It doesn’t work.

You have to turn your head. Like the old days.

I think you have to press the turn signal stock to activate the BSM on the touchscreen. So if I'm making a left lane change, I push the signal stock up, if there's a car in my blind spot, that car will show as red. That what works for me. If I don't signal, the car won't turn red.

When I did a test drive of the model Y and I put the directional on all cars coming up on the side the directional was on were red and gave me a little bit of warning on my car which is brand new as of May 26, 2021 when I put the directional on and a car is close it turns yellow and then red but when it’s red the car is almost next to me. I’ve driven nothing but BMWs before this and their Blindspot monitoring is superb

I think you have to press the turn signal stock to activate the BSM on the touchscreen. So if I'm making a left lane change, I push the signal stock up, if there's a car in my blind spot, that car will show as red. That what works for me. If I don't signal, the car won't turn red.
Really! I have not noticed this color change since I set up my mirrors toward my blindspots like all our cars no matter if it has BSM.

Interesting to see this.........when I test drove the MY, I could faintly see surrounding cars on the screen, and so I could see if there was a car in my blind spot, however I picked up my own MY on Friday and I don't see them on the screen. I presume there was some sort of monitor on then, but I don't know where it is now or how to find it in order to turn it on.

Interesting to see this.........when I test drove the MY, I could faintly see surrounding cars on the screen, and so I could see if there was a car in my blind spot, however I picked up my own MY on Friday and I don't see them on the screen. I presume there was some sort of monitor on then, but I don't know where it is now or how to find it in order to turn it on.
The cameras need to calibrate when new. Just drive around.

Last, but not least spend sometimes reading the manual. There’s a lot of stuff in there.
Yes, indeed -- I've never read as much of a car manual as I am with this one -- spend several hours reading it last night, but I think I should have been reading it while sitting in the car, rather than sitting in my living room. I'm going to try out a bunch of stuff today. I've also been doing a lot of Google searches, and I joined these forums. It really is unusual for me to get a new car and know so little about how to fully use its features......maybe it's second nature for experienced Tesla owners, the way an Android or Apple system is second nature for previous users but takes a while to understand if you come from a different system.

I'm digging up this thread because the blind spot monitoring in my MY is worthless. I accidentally cut a lady off in a huge SUV at a notoriously bad merge point yesterday and I did see her virtual SUV on the screen turn red for a second but there was no audible chime as I had read there would be?
What is the car supposed to do except turn the car red?
I was like, hello computer? WTH do you have a side camera for if not to plow into someone over there?

Reactions: Falcon73 and Stach
I'm digging up this thread because the blind spot monitoring in my MY is worthless. I accidentally cut a lady off in a huge SUV at a notoriously bad merge point yesterday and I did see her virtual SUV on the screen turn red for a second but there was no audible chime as I had read there would be?
What is the car supposed to do except turn the car red?
I was like, hello computer? WTH do you have a side camera for if not to plow into someone over there?
Blind spot monitoring is just bad on the Teslas in comparison to most other car manufacturers. For as much as Tesla touts their vehicles as being extremely safe, their driver assist technologies are rather poor in comparison to the competition when it comes to helping keep people safe. No cross-traffic alerts, and really poor blind spot monitoring that barely works as you just found out. Maybe they just thought that they would actually have Level 5 autonomy in 3 -5 years when they started building their cars and decided not to even bother with these basic and extremely useful technologies. But there is no excuse for them to not try and do better on that front. It's embarrassing that a car touted to have autopilot and FSD capabilities can't even provide proper BSM monitoring and alerts.

Can't wait for the apologists to come in here and start their rants about how BSM is completely unnecessary and you should just adjust your mirrors "right" (nevermind that Tesla's mirrors don't even have enough outward range to do that properly AND that even when you do set up mirrors "correctly" you trade off one blindspot for another (close to and adjacent to your car... where bicyclists and motorcyclists can end up)

And yeah BSM flat out blows a flute. I'm supercharging on a long drive through North Jersey now and it doesn't do sheet. That and climate control were way better in the BMW but overall this car is better in every single other way.
I'm pretty sure my car wants to freeze my feet no matter what I do with the controls to save energy. I do notice the graph go way up when the heater kicks on. BTW, I don't see how FSD could ever work around NYC without 20 years and a quantum computer. You have to be on your toes around here!

...you should just adjust your mirrors "right" (nevermind that Tesla's mirrors don't even have enough outward range to do that properly AND that even when you do set up mirrors "correctly" you trade off one blindspot for another (close to and adjacent to your car... where bicyclists and motorcyclists can end up)

Agreed. I turned my outside mirrors as far out as they will go and it isn't enough. The mirrors are simply all too small and no camera views when the turn signal is on. I got a clip on mirror for the rearview mirror which helps, but I don't see much choice on the sides except maybe stick-on small convex mirrors which I've not liked in the past.

I don't even try to look at the screen when making lane changes. It takes too much of my concentration off the road. If there was a HUD it could possibly flash something in red, but why not make a sound? I mean these cars have silly fart noises but no rear cross traffic alerts and pathetic BSM alerts? How hard would it be to turn the mirrors into screens or at least put a warning light on them like every other mfg seems to have these days...

The whole thinking that the cars would be self-driving by now seems spot on. But I only want self driving on long trips to the Desert where it's just ACC and Lane Centering. It does this very well at least, but needs to be monitored.

Reactions: orion2001 and Stach
Agreed. I turned my outside mirrors as far out as they will go and it isn't enough. The mirrors are simply all too small and no camera views when the turn signal is on. I got a clip on mirror for the rearview mirror which helps, but I don't see much choice on the sides except maybe stick-on small convex mirrors which I've not liked in the past.

I don't even try to look at the screen when making lane changes. It takes too much of my concentration off the road. If there was a HUD it could possibly flash something in red, but why not make a sound? I mean these cars have silly fart noises but no rear cross traffic alerts and pathetic BSM alerts? How hard would it be to turn the mirrors into screens or at least put a warning light on them like every other mfg seems to have these days...

The whole thinking that the cars would be self-driving by now seems spot on. But I only want self driving on long trips to the Desert where it's just ACC and Lane Centering. It does this very well at least, but needs to be monitored.
I'm planning to get the Hanshow convex mirrors to replace the OEM mirrors when I pick up my MY. Might be worth a look.

Reactions: Falcon73
For as much as Tesla touts their vehicles as being extremely safe, their driver assist technologies are rather poor …

I find the lane departure warning and lane keep assist to be unreliable. Sometimes they don’t work at all (I’ve crossed both white and yellow lane markings), sometimes lane keep activates, sometimes lane departure warning comes on. I can’t figure out when lane departure warning would activate instead of lane keep assist, or when both will fail to work.

I depend upon these features. I was driving a rented Toyota last summer on the 405 in Los Angeles and fell asleep when driving home from work. Lane departure warning saved me from driving into a retaining wall.

I need a safer car, not more video games.

Reactions: Stach