Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blind Spot Monitoring

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's a feature, not a bug.

As long as a human has to drive, might as well train him to do so correctly.

I think you are missing the original person's point. It's not that they don't use turn signals; they are probably like myself who doesn't choose to activate their turn signal until they know it's clear to change lanes. This is a courtesy to other drivers as the driver in the lane next to me doesn't have to worry about will they/won't they if my turn signal is activated while the lane is NOT clear.

Well....so.....kinda, sorta. I don't know, the BSM in my BMWs never was that great. However, my wife's Mazdas have had great, simple, BSM systems. The Mazdas set a light in the mirror, anytime anything is detected in the blind spot. Then they beep if you signal. Simple, great system.

To clarify, there is BSM, just that the UI is not particularly good as it only shows lines in the visualization.
See page 110 for how it looks:
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf
It also has an audible alert (see page 111), but only when it detects that a collision is imminent (it's not like other systems that might alert regardless):
"Blind Spot Collision Warning Chime
If you want a chime to sound when a vehicle is in your blind spot and a possible collision is detected, touch Controls > Autopilot > Blind Spot Collision Warning Chime."

As discussed above, for BSM, Tesla can do better if they choose, however at the moment they don't for whatever reason.

As for rear cross traffic alert, it doesn't have the sensors for it, so doesn't have it at all (usually there are radar sensors mounted to the two rear corners of the vehicle for it). Other cars use the same radar sensors for blind spot monitoring, so they have both automatically (they go hand-in-hand). Example below from Continental:
https://www.continental-automotive....3007b4031/Rear-Cross-Traffic-Alert-EN.pdf.pdf

Tesla's blind spot monitoring uses the rear facing side marker cameras instead, which are blocked when parking, so can't do the same function in terms of monitoring rear cross traffic.

Tesla's autopilot page may help you understand the sensors better (click the "Learn more about Camera Views, Radar and Ultrasonics" to see more details about the FOV of the cameras).
Autopilot

GREAT information. Thanks for all of that.

Well....so.....kinda, sorta. I don't know, the BSM in my BMWs never was that great. However, my wife's Mazdas have had great, simple, BSM systems. The Mazdas set a light in the mirror, anytime anything is detected in the blind spot. Then they beep if you signal. Simple, great system.

FWIW, most of the shortcomings here can be attributed to: Tesla expected the car to drive itself years ago so designed for that.

Why bother with cost of a mirror-light system when the car will handle it on its own?

Why bother with rear cross traffic when self-parking backs into spots (which is inherently safer anyway)?

Now of course they've missed years of goals on actually getting self-driving working so those choices don't look quite as good- but that's the idea anyway.

(see the removal of gear shift stalk on the new S/X as another example of this thinking- the car'll take care of all that for you, ya know, eventually)

Reactions: XPsionic
FWIW, most of the shortcomings here can be attributed to: Tesla expected the car to drive itself years ago so designed for that.

Why bother with cost of a mirror-light system when the car will handle it on its own?

Why bother with rear cross traffic when self-parking backs into spots (which is inherently safer anyway)?

Now of course they've missed years of goals on actually getting self-driving working so those choices don't look quite as good- but that's the idea anyway.

(see the removal of gear shift stalk on the new S/X as another example of this thinking- the car'll take care of all that for you, ya know, eventually)

I wonder what percentage of new Model 3s come with FSD? I know I didn't pay for it! Give me cross traffic and BSM for like $10.00 in additional hardware vs. $10,000 for FSD which doesn't really work! When I can get in and tell the car where to go, and trust that it will take me there with no interventions, and without pissing off everyone around me, MAYBE I would pay 10K at that point.

My wife complained about the lack of BSM, as we had in our last car, but she now loves autopilot and TACC. Yesterday, with her driving me to a doctor's appointment, she just got in the center lane and let the car do the rest.

During the drive, some idiot on our right tried to merge into our lane too early and our M3 braked and turned a bit to avoid him. I'll take that over flashing BSM lights.

My wife complained about the lack of BSM, as we had in our last car, but she now loves autopilot and TACC. Yesterday, with her driving me to a doctor's appointment, she just got in the center lane and let the car do the rest.

During the drive, some idiot on our right tried to merge into our lane too early and our M3 braked and turned a bit to avoid him. I'll take that over flashing BSM lights.

But they are not mutually exclusive. The car could still do that AND have a flashing light in the mirror to warn you of someone in your blind spot when you want to change lanes.

You’re welcome.
shouldercheck.png

No doubt.....but both would be nice!

I agree, The BSM in Mazda's should be the benchmark, I have a Mazda 6 and 3, and both are very effective.

While that is likely true, I just do not understand it. If FSD ever becomes a reality, it will be a nice feature. However, I did not buy a car that goes 0-60 in 3.something seconds to have a computer drive it full time!

Guys,

My car is scheduled to be delivered next week. One thing I did not notice on my test drive was a blind spot monitoring system. Does the Performance Model 3 have BSM? If so, how does it work. I didn't notice any lights in the mirrors, etc.

Todd

I have never seen it alert me on the screen or anything but ONE time I hit the left blinker to get ready to pass someone in front of me and didn't see anything on the side mirror so I started to turn the wheel. The moment the wheel started rotating, the car beeped at me and showed me the car in red on the screen. I then double checked the mirror and there really was a car accelerating past me. That's when I found out there really is a blind spot monitoring.

It's too bad it doesn't show you all the on the screen that there's a car in the blind spot.

Turn on signal. Mirror check. Screen check. Head check. Execute lane change. Turn off signal.

Your mirrors should be configured to minimize the blind spot rather than to replicate the center rear-view mirror.
Checking the screen while the blinker is on will show a red lane line or red car (or both) if BSM has observed an obstruction in your intended new lane.
When you execute the head check you should then see what the screen has alerted you to if you have not already aborted the lane change.
If you do not abort, then the car will start screaming at you and nudging the wheel away from the obstructed lane.

But never don't check with the Mk. I Eyeball.