Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blind Spot Monitoring

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is an amazing feature built into all cars, nobody bothers to use. It is activated by turning your head and looking to your left. An object will appear in your eyeball and get sent to your neurons! Its a pretty amazing feature and has been there since the days of wagons.
Stampee
Its amazing that a 50K plus car does not have BSM

it does not have a true BSM. I am not sure what to call it. But it is nothing like a basic Honda civic has.
It does have BSM. It shows the car in red on the screen and displays an alert. If the car is not close enough to show as a visualization, it would still show a semi-circle in the direction of the object. If you make a move toward that occupied blind spot, it will also sound a warning chime (if you turn on the setting). It just doesn't have the indicator on the mirrors like a lot of cars do.

One improvement they can do in software is to automatically show the side camera view when turning on the turn signal. Honda had that feature (they called it "LaneWatch").

Last edited:
Reactions: TBrownTX and Gy2020
Of course it does.

It just displays it differently than the basic honda civic.

As mentioned though, if you bother to set your mirrors up right in the first place, you won't have a blind spot that needs monitoring.

BSMs are a crutch for people too lazy to adjust their mirrors properly.

Just turn your head...line up your mirrors correctly. I’m sorry but this is pretty much crap. When people say it’s reasonable that a car that costs $50K+ to not have BSM, it just screams fanboi. It’s pretty much BS.

Would it be ok if the car didn’t have a backup camera? I mean...just turn your head and adjust your rear view mirror!!
There are minor things that a modern car should have at this price point and BSM monitoring is one of them. To not recognize it and defend Tesla for cheating out on a common safety feature that sub-$20K cars have is an abomination and certainly shows your true bias Tesla fanboi colors.

Just turn your head...line up your mirrors correctly. I’m sorry but this is pretty much crap.

Physics is crap?

Set your mirrors correctly and you won't have a blind spot.

It's just that simple.

When people say it’s reasonable that a car that costs $50K+ to not have BSM

Except it does have BSM

It both displays the results on the center screen, and also, if you enable it, beeps at you about it.

So just to review:

1) If you adjust the mirrors properly, there isn't a blind spot in the first place.
2) If you are too lazy to do so, the car STILL warns you both visually and audibly if you wish of things in your blind spot.

What are we whining about exactly? That it doesn't ALSO add lights on the sides?

Should it wipe your runny nose for you too?

What's hilarious is- if the mirrors are set right, then LOOKING WHERE THOSE LIGHTS WOULD tells you if someone is on the side of the car via the actual mirror

, it just screams fanboi. It’s pretty much BS.

No- BS is continually claiming it "doesn't have BSM" when it clearly does.

Would it be ok if the car didn’t have a backup camera?

Most cars didn't for almost the entire previous century.

Somehow people managed to drive.

MUST HAVE BEEN MAGIC.

There are minor things that a modern car should have at this price point and BSM monitoring is one of them.

And, hey, it DOES HAVE IT.

Though again, set your mirrors correctly, and you don't actually need it.

It absolutely does not have BSM. The screen is not an acceptable form of BSM that it alerts you to an imminent crash. That’s BS. And your argument about mirrors and old cars not having BSM is a straw man argument. Feel free to give up your backup camera, ABS brakes, seat belt, air bags, lane warning assist, and all other modern safety technology because...you know...we were able to drive decades ago without them. Ridiculous.

Set your mirrors correctly and you won't have a blind spot.

Technically it still has a blind spot - just a different one than what the new mirror position is covering. If someone was tailgating you and wanted to immediately accelerate you won't see them anymore. It's still more practical to have mirrors set the "correct" way but a physical BSM indicator on the mirror is still superior in more conditions.

it does not have a true BSM. I am not sure what to call it. But it is nothing like a basic Honda civic has.

I was referring to the active blind spot collision avoidance since the car will stiffen the wheel and alert you if it detects a potential blind spot collision.

Reactions: XPsionic
It absolutely does not have BSM.

Except, it factually does.

It's mentioned in the manual numerous times.

It has 2 different methods of alerting you too (visual and audio)

The screen is not an acceptable form of BSM that it alerts you to an imminent crash

Why?

The "mirror light" makes even less sense- since if properly configured, the MIRROR ITSELF alerts you to people in your blind spot.

The display gives you ANOTHER place you can look and see them.

Plus- again- there's also an AUDIO alert to someone being there and alerting to an imminent crash.

That's three different ways to be alerted to a car to your side in a Tesla.

Your continually denying the reality them existing notwithstanding.

. That’s BS

No, it's facts.

You seem really upset at those though.

Technically it still has a blind spot - just a different one than what the new mirror position is covering.

This is not correct.

If mirrors are set up correctly you should always have any vehicle behind you in one of your mirrors... the car will be visible in your rear view- and just BEFORE it vanishes from there, it will appear in your side view.

At no point should you ever be "blind" to an approaching driver either behind or to either side.

The SAE published a study in 1995 covering all this, with all the math, physics, etc covered.

Set up correctly you eliminate any blind spot.

Car and Driver discusses it here, including a link to the SAE study.

Car and Driver said:
The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) published a paper in 1995 suggesting how outside mirrors could be adjusted to eliminate blind spots.

Reactions: rrohde
I never had issue with blind spots, as long as I have side mirrors... The main thing I truly miss is the lack of a real 360 view, for parking. On my other car, I can see all 4 wheels, so I have never curbed the wheels on that car, knocks on wood... It's also useful for avoiding the parking stop/curb since my other car's front chin spoiler is lower than a lot of parking curbs. Plus it's useful for preventing clipping a curb on a tight turn, when somebody on the side decides to pull up in the center of the street, instead of towards the right.

When I had my Model 3 the side mirrors didn’t go out far enough to eliminate blind spots like other cars I’ve owned. Did this change?

The Tesla blind spot monitoring system is bad, in my opinion. Audi does this perfectly and it even saved me once from a speeding driver without headlights.

Speaking of Audi, their backup cameras are absolute garbage. The image in my e-tron is so dark that it’s hard to make out anything at night. An 80k car with a worse backup cam than a 20k Kia.

But back to Tesla, they can and should do better.

might be old technology, but works quite well

Attachments

• Blind_spot_mirror.jpg
    Blind_spot_mirror.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 85
The red car visual is deceiving when multiple lanes are on the side you're changing into. For example, if i'm on the freeway and there are 5 lanes on my right.. i put my blinker on and most times the car will pick up farther lanes giving the appearance that a car is in the lane i'm going to. freaks me out each time so i just have to deal with due diligence using old fashioned mirrors. ;) I think the system could use some tweaking to make it better though.. i'd prefer some other type of indicator than a red car visual. Taking my eyes off important factors to stare at my screen in hopes the car knows best still feels unnatural for me.

Reactions: M3isforme
The Tesla system is absolute crap compared to all others, PLUS it requires that you use the turn signals. The main problem with it is the car does not have rear radar, so it only works with cars the camera can already see. The lack of rear radar is also why the car doesn't have 'rear cross-traffic alert',

I don't beleive this to be true. Our Ford Escape SUV has no rear radar either but it does have a superb cross traffic alert system. It primarily uses ultrasonic sensors.

I don't beleive this to be true. Our Ford Escape SUV has no rear radar either but it does have a superb cross traffic alert system. It primarily uses ultrasonic sensors.

Ultrasonics have a range of roughly 25 feet- they've be useless for cross-traffic alerts for anything moving at speed.

For example a car moving just 20 miles per hour travels 29.3 feet in ONE second.

So a 20 mph car would go from outside sensor range entirely, to crashed into your rear fender, in less than 1 second using ultrasonics.

Even at 10 mph you'd have roughly 1.5 seconds before they moved from outside detection range to hitting you... and human reaction time for braking is generally higher than that.

Speaking of Audi, their backup cameras are absolute garbage. The image in my e-tron is so dark that it’s hard to make out anything at night. An 80k car with a worse backup cam than a 20k Kia.
Are you not able to adjust brightness? I used to think the backup camera on my MDX was similarly bad at night, until I figured out that I can twist the knob to increase brightness.

Getting back to Tesla... Can you do a split screen with the Nav and the Back/Side Cameras? I figured I could skirt around the blind spot and smallish mirror issues, by just having the screen show the rear/side cameras. Bonus points if I can have it split with the nav screen, so I don't have to choose one or the other.

• Informative
Reactions: polyphonic54
Are you not able to adjust brightness? I used to think the backup camera on my MDX was similarly bad at night, until I figured out that I can twist the knob to increase brightness.
That's a good thought. Nothing in the manual. I have searched every menu screen. Occasionally there are undocumented behaviors so I would not be entirely surprised to find that twisting the right knob at the right time has an effect. Somewhat common complaint among VAG cars.
Getting back to Tesla... Can you do a split screen with the Nav and the Back/Side Cameras? I figured I could skirt around the blind spot and smallish mirror issues, by just having the screen show the rear/side cameras. Bonus points if I can have it split with the nav screen, so I don't have to choose one or the other.
Yep, I used that quite a bit. It works well enough. People have been clamoring for the side cameras to activate with the turn signal, much like Kias do. The turn signal light makes it a little tougher at night.

When I had my Model 3 the side mirrors didn’t go out far enough to eliminate blind spots like other cars I’ve owned. Did this change?

I have a 2020 Model 3, and I agree with you. My mirrors do not adjust out away from the car enough to eliminate the blind spot. Maybe it's different in the 2021 Model 3, but when people in this thread say to adjust your mirrors to eliminate the blind spot my response is that it's impossible to do in my car. I realize it's dependant on where the drivers head is in relation to the mirrors, so maybe some have success with this, but the mirrors need to have a greater range of adjustment in the left to right direction.