Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blind Spot Monitoring

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Getting back to Tesla... Can you do a split screen with the Nav and the Back/Side Cameras? I figured I could skirt around the blind spot and smallish mirror issues, by just having the screen show the rear/side cameras. Bonus points if I can have it split with the nav screen, so I don't have to choose one or the other.
You can in the Model S/X. In Model 3/Y it's not really a split screen in the same way (can't see the map), but the holiday update did make it so at least it shows the next turn on the left side of the screen. This is good enough to make it so it's practical to have the camera screen open all the time and still use nav (without relying fully on audio).

Reactions: avs007
Just got a 2021 M3LR. Wife's Accord has visual and audible warning of:
- car in blind spot when I activate turn signal.
- car passing on street when backing out of driveway.

Does M3 have visual/audible warning for these two scenarios? if so, how do I turn it on?

Let's admit it is trash. The bare minimum is to simply have the side repeater camera turn on once the blinker is on + beep when another car is within proximity of the sensor. Why is this so hard?
Exactly! Just like the Honda I traded in for my M3. Turn on the side cameras when we put on the blinkers, just like when we back up the car. We can have the option to turn it on or off.

So what I want from my car is to let me know that some one is in the blind spot (even if it's not really "blind"), BEFORE I put on the signal. On my wife's Mazda, there's always an indicator in the mirror anytime there's an object in that area. On my 2021 M3, I never see an indication that anything is there before I signal. Funny thing is that is sets lines for curbs, and other obstacles, but not cars. I'd be satisfied if I could just keep the driving visualization zoomed out so I could see cars beside/behind a few car lengths. Anyone know how to do that?

Reactions: Stach and duanra
So what I want from my car is to let me know that some one is in the blind spot (even if it's not really "blind"), BEFORE I put on the signal. On my wife's Mazda, there's always an indicator in the mirror anytime there's an object in that area. On my 2021 M3, I never see an indication that anything is there before I signal. Funny thing is that is sets lines for curbs, and other obstacles, but not cars. I'd be satisfied if I could just keep the driving visualization zoomed out so I could see cars beside/behind a few car lengths. Anyone know how to do that?
You can tap on the vehicle to quickly get a zoomed out view, but it doesn't stay zoomed out.
https://forums.tesla.com/discussion/167886/quick-tip-on-how-to-access-zoomed-out-view

I don't remember if I had my turn signal on, but I did have plenty of times the visualization showing cars in red in my blind spot.

As pointed out by others, one easy thing Tesla can do is just show the side cam in full view for the given side when you activate the turn signal. That would help a lot.

Reactions: Stach
You can tap on the vehicle to quickly get a zoomed out view, but it doesn't stay zoomed out.
https://forums.tesla.com/discussion/167886/quick-tip-on-how-to-access-zoomed-out-view

I don't remember if I had my turn signal on, but I did have plenty of times the visualization showing cars in red in my blind spot.

As pointed out by others, one easy thing Tesla can do is just show the side cam in full view for the given side when you activate the turn signal. That would help a lot.
Thanks for the tip. Agree that it would be better if it would zoom out when the turn signal is activated. Saves a step.

Wonder if any updates can enhance the side pillars to give an alert of a car in the blind spot…. Also the automated cars that show up on the touchscreen appear to late when waiting to change lanes… C’ mon Elon! This is basic auto safety!

I am an old guy with old habbit, butnothing replaces a quick look over the shoulder.
Also with my M3, if something is coming fast, it won't show on the screen and won't trigger a warning.
We all know how to drive and we are all fallible.
You can't monitor 270 degrees simultaneously and once in a blue moon that's what you need.

We all age too and you get slower at multi-tasking (stay on top of all angles).
Also neck doesn't twist as wide, fast and pain free as it once did either.
A good blind spot monitor can help fill in the gaps.

When I have a co-pilpot I ALWAYS take advantage of them.
More coverage (more eyes) is always better. Blind spot warning is like having a co-pilot.

Even Tesla's odd implementation has possibly saved me more than once.

Reactions: Scelto and XPsionic
My other half turns off the side repeater cameras on the backup camera, while I like them. The problem he has with them is since they aren’t full color RGB cameras but instead designed for the computer to look at, colors can look off. So you may see a red car in the full color rear camera, but it looks orange or even dull yellow in the side repeater camera. You might quickly conclude those are two different cars instead of the same one.

An option for a warning chime if you engage a turn signal when the car already detects a vehicle in your blind spot would go a long way to easing complaints on this feature. The current warning only happens if you start to move over as well, which is one step closer to initiating an accident. If we can have a green light reminder chime, why not a blind spot occupied on signal warning chime?

Reactions: mswlogo
I remember in September, Elon said that they would finally push the 360 vectorspace view last month, after promising it over a year ago.... Elon Time strikes again...
I saw that also and it made me interested in Tesla again. The safety features are important and I may just wait and see. My a5 sportback is still going well. I will keep checking this blog as it has a lot of useful information.