Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blind spot visibility

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am having a hard time seeing cars in my passenger side blind spot. I am a relatively new M3LR owner, coming from a 2008 Acura TSX sedan that had no cameras, so I am asking for advice on the best practice for seeing cars in my blind spot before changing lanes. My old technique was signal, mirror, over-the-shoulder, go (SMOG), and it served me well in my Acura which had great rear visibility. The M3 has a narrow, partially obstructed rear view, so I have less confidence in my SMOG method. I am unsure how to incorporate the information on the touchscreen display, including the car status area showing a visualization of the road and the window that pops up from the side repeater camera when you engage the turn signal. What is the best way to check these sources of information when changing lanes? I find this is especially difficult when I must quickly move into a passenger side lane. When rushed, how do you use the camera information? In what sequence to you check the various sources of information about cars in your blind spot.

An added question, I have heard that the car status display is supposed to alert you with color changes when you are merging into a lane with a car in the way. I have never seen this in my display.

True Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM) is a Glaring Weakness for the Tesla Model 3's and Y's (I have no experience with the S or X). While Tesla says they have it, it has many issues that make it basically useless for myself and many others. I may miss some points, but here are the basics:
  1. The BSM indicator for our Tesla's are cars visually turning Red on our screen in the middle of the car, which is not the natural place to look, since your head should be looking to the mirror and windows on the side of the car that you want to turn towards.
  2. Other cars on the screen are usually delayed in their appearance on the screen and if they are there, will be behind where they actually are
  3. Cars turning red on the screen is also delayed (sometimes by 1-2 seconds), which makes this indicator too slow and useless.
  4. Our Tesla's are supposed to prevent you front merging into another car, but that too is delayed and means you are already very close to hitting them, which only causes more panic for everyone involved.

I am having a hard time seeing cars in my passenger side blind spot.

Years ago I read an article about the proper way to adjust a car's side mirrors. Most people don't do it right.

The easiest time to adjust is when on a three lane highway, while driving in the center lane. Adjust both mirrors outward until you can see the full width of each lane. Left mirror sees all of that lane, right mirror sees all of that lane. You don't need to see any of the side of your car. This has worked nicely for me.

I agree, the rear and side visibility on a Model 3 leaves a lot to be desired.

My current technique is: mirror, over the shoulder, turn on blinker, check camera shot on main display...then change lanes. And I moved the on screen display to the top center location. It's better than both locations on the left side.

True Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM) is a Glaring Weakness for the Tesla Model 3's and Y's (I have no experience with the S or X). While Tesla says they have it, it has many issues that make it basically useless for myself and many others. I may miss some points, but here are the basics:
  1. The BSM indicator for our Tesla's are cars visually turning Red on our screen in the middle of the car, which is not the natural place to look, since your head should be looking to the mirror and windows on the side of the car that you want to turn towards.
  2. Other cars on the screen are usually delayed in their appearance on the screen and if they are there, will be behind where they actually are
  3. Cars turning red on the screen is also delayed (sometimes by 1-2 seconds), which makes this indicator too slow and useless.
  4. Our Tesla's are supposed to prevent you front merging into another car, but that too is delayed and means you are already very close to hitting them, which only causes more panic for everyone involved.
So from what you are saying, it is not worth it to check the car status area of the display when changing lanes. Do you check the repeater camera pop up window?

Years ago I read an article about the proper way to adjust a car's side mirrors. Most people don't do it right.

The easiest time to adjust is when on a three lane highway, while driving in the center lane. Adjust both mirrors outward until you can see the full width of each lane. Left mirror sees all of that lane, right mirror sees all of that lane. You don't need to see any of the side of your car. This has worked nicely for me.

I agree, the rear and side visibility on a Model 3 leaves a lot to be desired.

My current technique is: mirror, over the shoulder, turn on blinker, check camera shot on main display...then change lanes. And I moved the on screen display to the top center location. It's better than both locations on the left side.
Thanks. I'll check my mirror adjustment and will try your sequence: mirror, over-the-shoulder, signal, camera (MOSC).

Reactions: DeltaOne
So from what you are saying, it is not worth it to check the car status area of the display when changing lanes. Do you check the repeater camera pop up window?

You can check the car status area, just don't rely on it to be correct. I do try to check the repeater camera, but again, it's not a natural place, or even efficient, to look to the center screen in order to switch lanes to the left.

The goal of a good BMS system is to make you safer and more efficient in making lane changes, but Tesla's system is far behind others in its effectiveness.

Reactions: tm3lrawd

This is the answer to this question. Most people do not have their side mirrors adjusted correctly. When seated in your normal driving position, if you can see ANY of the side of your own car, the side mirror adjustment is wrong. Most people adjust the side mirrors till they "juusst" cant see the side of the car (when in their regular seat position) and thats not the correct position either.

In a nutshell, you lean your head over like you would almost be resting your head on the drivers door window, THEN adjust the mirror so you can barely see a sliver of the side of the car. Then you lean way over to the passenger side, with your head tilted way toward the passenger seat, look in the side mirror on the passenger side, then adjust it till you can barely see the side of the car.... from that position.

Basically, you are pushing the side mirrors out so they are looking in the lanes next to you, not the side of your own car at all. It may take some people a bit of time to get used to the proper position, but with mirrors in the proper position, "parts" of cars around you will appear in either the side mirror or rear view mirror.

Saying all this, the model 3 (and Y) has a very narrow rear window, so its even more important than normally to have the mirrors adjusted correctly.

As for checking the new blind spot monitor camera feature on the screen. Now that (in the latest firmware versions at least) you can have it higher up on the screen, I use it as a quick final glance, only when changing lanes and I am not sure of what my eyes told me for some reason (due to speed of traffic, or if there are a lot of cars around etc).

The BMS in the Model 3 is not that great in my experience. For one it works on the screen so you have to divert your eyes to the screen when you hear a warning. For another it doesn't seem to work that great anyways. Its best to adjust your side mirrors to minimize blind spots.

You put your head to the drivers window and move the mirror so you can just see the edge of the car. Then put your head to the middle of the car and do the same for the passenger side. If you do it right you can track a car from your rearview to around you on the side mirror without losing it. That really eliminates the need for any sort of BMS while driving.

Yep, as jjandorin and adamvip and deltaone have stated, if you adjust your mirrors correctly there are no blind spots. I'd say 90+% of drivers have their mirrors set wrong, to see directly behind them, which is already covered by your rear view mirror.

I learned in Driver's Ed, 45yrs ago. Tip head left touching driverside window, look in side mirror, adjust so you only see a sliver of side of car. On right, you put your head in center, just above armrest, and do the same. It's easier on the right because you have that aspheric mirror which allows you to see more.

In general, I look first, then signal, then go. So, look in rear view mirror to see if anyone is coming up fast from a distance, then look in side mirror to check blindspot and also check peripherally. Signal, when clear, then go. All while checking continuously, because cars coming fast, 20mph+ faster than you can suddenly appear out of nowhere.

You may mean How To Adjust Your Mirrors to Avoid Blind Spots which includes this image.
cleanup-blindspots-photo-519796-s-original.jpg

However, on the Model 3, the rear side visibility is not good, so even with the above adjustment, you may still end up with a blind spot in the next lane, but it will be a less dangerous one, since it will not be overlapping your car. So, instead of changing lanes crashing into someone you did not see, you may annoy them by changing lanes close enough in front of them to make them an involuntary tailgater -- an improvement, but not ideal.

Folding down the rear seat may improve visibility slightly by getting the rear head restraints out from blocking the edges of the center mirror view.

The lane watch display when the turn signal is on can help, but its default position in the lower left of the screen puts it relatively far from the line of sight to the mirrors. Software 2022.24.whatever is supposed to allow moving it to the top of the screen to be closer to your line of sight to the mirrors (before 2022.24.whatever, it is always in the lower left).

Lol, massive blind spots 😅 you guys obviously havnt driven many 2 seat sports cars.
It's also something MANY complain about anytime they buy a new car. They are used to their old car and it's blind spots. So the new car is always MUCH worse, when in reality it isn't.

• Disagree
Reactions: XPsionic
Folding down the rear seat may improve visibility slightly by getting the rear head restraints out from blocking the edges of the center mirror view.
A very useful tip.
In a rapid decision making situation, I much prefer to go by my vision rather than some camera's vision.

Another tip is to adjust your seat height and center view mirror to maximize your coverage of cars behind you. See this YouTube.

Last edited:
This is the answer to this question. Most people do not have their side mirrors adjusted correctly. When seated in your normal driving position, if you can see ANY of the side of your own car, the side mirror adjustment is wrong. Most people adjust the side mirrors till they "juusst" cant see the side of the car (when in their regular seat position) and thats not the correct position either.

In a nutshell, you lean your head over like you would almost be resting your head on the drivers door window, THEN adjust the mirror so you can barely see a sliver of the side of the car. Then you lean way over to the passenger side, with your head tilted way toward the passenger seat, look in the side mirror on the passenger side, then adjust it till you can barely see the side of the car.... from that position.

Basically, you are pushing the side mirrors out so they are looking in the lanes next to you, not the side of your own car at all. It may take some people a bit of time to get used to the proper position, but with mirrors in the proper position, "parts" of cars around you will appear in either the side mirror or rear view mirror.

Saying all this, the model 3 (and Y) has a very narrow rear window, so its even more important than normally to have the mirrors adjusted correctly.

As for checking the new blind spot monitor camera feature on the screen. Now that (in the latest firmware versions at least) you can have it higher up on the screen, I use it as a quick final glance, only when changing lanes and I am not sure of what my eyes told me for some reason (due to speed of traffic, or if there are a lot of cars around etc).

If anybody catches me complaining about jjandorin, feel free to remind me about this Information, which he also provided (and I read) about a year ago and probably many other times as well. May save my life someday…

Try these. Near 100% blind spot free. I bought these b/c I had a bigger blind spot on the LEFT side, and they solved both issues, left and right. I adjust both mirrors all the way out and have no problems.

(moderator note)

merged this thread on looking over the shoulder into this existing thread on blind spot visibility, as its the same general discussion)
=========================================

just curious if people still always look over their shoulder when changing lanes on the highway?

i still do out of habit but it seems that glancing at the side view mirror and then using the blindspot camera video feed should be enough coverage? or is there still a blindspot area that could be missed if only using the mirror/camera exclusively?

Last edited by a moderator:
Try these. Near 100% blind spot free. I bought these b/c I had a bigger blind spot on the LEFT side, and they solved both issues, left and right. I adjust both mirrors all the way out and have no problems.
Got these same ones on ebay for $40, got blue tinted ones because they only heat but don't auto dim.

They work really well, I feel much more confident about the surroundings now! Blind spot is totally gone when mirror is tilted all the way out. The problem with the Model 3 mirrors is that 1. they don't tilt quite far enough on the driver's side to eliminate blind spot like my other cars, and 2. cars with low headlights tailgating directly behind at night are really difficult to see with the high trunk line.

I've experimented with systems for adjusting mirrors. Sticking on an adjustable small convex mirror is foolproof. This is what I have, but I've seen one that extends across the whole bottom of the sideview mirrors. A full-sized convex mirror also works well.

View attachment 852848

I had these for a few months before getting the whole side mirror replaced with convex versions. These work quite well in the day time but it gets a bit confusing for me at night when there are so many dots of lights reflected from the flat oem mirror + these convex mirrors.
20220913_091444.jpg

With the new convex side mirrors tilted all the way outward, I can see the back half of the car in the next lane on the left, if the front half of their car is overlapped with my car (the worst blind spot). Previously with the flat OEM mirror set all the way out, with my seating position I still had a 1.5 car length gap in vision exactly at the blind spot.

Last edited: