Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blind spot warning chime

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Miss having warning lights in the mirrors, and think the chime would be helpful during all driving modes.

The user manual (page 111) speaks to a "Blind Spot Collision Warning Chime" in the Autopilot section.

I thought using the turn signal (without FSD) cancels Autopilot?

Is this only when on Autopilot or can it be active all the time?

As I understand it, it is not what you are thinking it is. It does not trigger until you try to travel into the lane that is blocked in the blind spot. IMO, it is pretty useless because if I am headed into the lane, in my mind I have already committed to getting over and the car will then yell at me. I am hoping that it will get tweaked to yell at me before i cross the lane line.

I have FSD so I dont know for sure, but I think on my son's M3 (who doesnt have FSD) the turn signal does not turn off Autopilot. A nudge on the steering wheel will though. I dont recall though, sorry.

So the way it works now as I see it is when I turn on my turn signal and someone is in my blind spot it makes the lane lines on the screen red, which is hard to notice. A small addition I would like is for the upper area near your speed to flash red, the same way it flashes blue when it’s telling you to put your hand back on the wheel while on autopilot. I would notice that out of the corner of my eye much easier.

So you want it to yell at you every time a car to your left or right drives by you?
Seems like you would just tune this out after driving in heavy traffic for a while.
An indicator on the display would be OK though, IMO
No, I want it to do what my wife's Subaru does. When there is a car in my blind spot, I have a yellow triangle in the mirror. Then if I try to get over, it beeps and says not to do that. It doesnt bother me (other than the light being on) for every car in the other lane. I think you may have misinterpreted, or more likely, I mis-described what I was looking for.

Reactions: Klau2 and bicar
This reminds me of the poor BMW implementation - it does have a triangle light in the mirror, but instead of an audible alert it vibrates the steering wheel. This worked well on a 2015 435, but on a 2018 X3 the vibration was so weak that is was impossible to feel unless you were driving on a perfectly flat road. I'd really want an audible alert (no problem if it's configurable for people who don't want that).

Considering the loud beeps when the vehicle 'drifts' out of the lane it is certainly something that Tesla can do.

So the way it works now as I see it is when I turn on my turn signal and someone is in my blind spot it makes the lane lines on the screen red, which is hard to notice. A small addition I would like is for the upper area near your speed to flash red, the same way it flashes blue when it’s telling you to put your hand back on the wheel while on autopilot. I would notice that out of the corner of my eye much easier.
I agree. The upper part of the screen can be used to warn cars in the blind spot. Still it is not directly in the field of vision [because the display is in the middle of the car]. But a red warning here in the upper part of the display in addition to a chime [I am not hearing any chime when there is a car in the blind spot now] will be helpful.

I agree. The upper part of the screen can be used to warn cars in the blind spot. Still it is not directly in the field of vision [because the display is in the middle of the car]. But a red warning here in the upper part of the display in addition to a chime [I am not hearing any chime when there is a car in the blind spot now] will be helpful.

Completely agree. No chime and inconsistent response.

In terms of the visibility, I ended up getting @JWardell 's MicroDisplay and am getting the warnings in my field of vision now.

Reactions: JWardell
I really miss a traditional Blind Spot Warning system as implemented in our 2017 GMC Acadia and Volt. If changing lanes to the left that’s where my attention is focused having to glance back to the center screen to see if there’s a vehicle in my blind spot is not a normal process. Tesla needs to implement a better blind spot warning system.

I agree, I miss the simple Blind Spot monitor in my Mazda CX-5. I would think it would be easy to have the center display show some indication whenever a car is in you Blind Spot. Then when you activate a Blinker with a car in you blind spot an audible alarm/warning would sound indicating that it is not advised to change lanes.

Reactions: frankvb
I miss the simplicity of having the warning in the mirror, also. I feel that I've had the warning chime come on simply when I put on my turn signal and haven't crossed into the lane yet...but I'll have to test again. It may have been that I moved the wheel and the car thought I was going to commit..still still is too late in the process, IMO.

Honestly, they could definitely do a software update to make this a lot better. I would have it when the turn signal goes on, if there's something in your blind spot, the screen gives you some kind of warning. Either make the turn signal sign bigger and Orange/Red or just write LANE OCCUPIED or something.

Heck, if I could tell the car to turn on the side cameras and show them onscreen when I turn signal, that would be perfect.

Turn signal right, right camera displays on screen. Turn signal left, left camera displays on screen.

Reactions: Mike MY
As I understand it, it is not what you are thinking it is. It does not trigger until you try to travel into the lane that is blocked in the blind spot. IMO, it is pretty useless because if I am headed into the lane, in my mind I have already committed to getting over and the car will then yell at me. I am hoping that it will get tweaked to yell at me before i cross the lane line.

I have FSD so I dont know for sure, but I think on my son's M3 (who doesnt have FSD) the turn signal does not turn off Autopilot. A nudge on the steering wheel will though. I dont recall though, sorry.
If you're on Autopilot, all you have to do is signal a lane change. Once you do that, the car will wait until it's safe, and then it'll change lanes for you,

Reactions: laservet
Honestly, they could definitely do a software update to make this a lot better. I would have it when the turn signal goes on, if there's something in your blind spot, the screen gives you some kind of warning. Either make the turn signal sign bigger and Orange/Red or just write LANE OCCUPIED or something.

Heck, if I could tell the car to turn on the side cameras and show them onscreen when I turn signal, that would be perfect.

Turn signal right, right camera displays on screen. Turn signal left, left camera displays on screen.
My brother has a Honda ICE car. It does that for right lane changes but not for left lane shifts. He thinks that Honda wants the driver to look at the left outside mirror before a lane change. That doesn't help much with the blind spot so there's a light that turns on in the left mirror when there's a car in the blind spot.

Currently, Tesla only triggers a red car drawn on the center display blind spot warning when you have your blinker on and there is a car in a blind spot on that side.

Separate from that is anti-collision warning that will audibly beep if you move close to hitting a car in your blind spot, and even closer will tug you away.

But neither of these are really what people want, which at least a visible light whenever any car is in any blind spot, and an audible warning when you turn on your blinker.

I can pick up on the blind spot signal...when your blinker is on and the center display shows a car in red... and then I can draw red arrows on the display screen, or light LEDs, or possibly turn on a beeper. But it's tough enough to get that to actually activate. Not much I can do unless Tesla changes its software. Which of course it does tend to do over time.

The Tesla warning double beep does work - I triggered it when attempting to change lanes with a car I hadn't seen in the blind spot. I did do a shoulder check but missed it...

It only happened when I actually tried to steer into that lane, I would not have done that if it had beeped the moment I used the indicator.