Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blind spot warning while changing lanes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I drive thru starbucks I have a red line that tells me I’m close to the drive up window. Why not when a car is next to me????
if a car too close to yours from side, it will warn. but ya, blind spot should be easy if they already have side collision warning implemented, show red or yellow car on screen maybe? hope they add this in the future software update!

Reactions: LadyMacbrat
I would like Tesla to use the side B piller cameras and display it on the screen nice and big if there’s a car in your blind spot and show you.

If there’s no car then don’t show me anything.

I’m thinking they can program the side cameras to detect for cars.
Something like bird eye view would be cool too. Other car brand already has this feature, I don't see too much difficulty for Tesla to add this. Come on, 8 cameras? ;)

Even my Honda CR-V has a great blind spot warning system. It is bright, and if you use the turn indicator, it gives a good warning visually and audibly. I completely disagree that it is a useless feature (as one writer wrote).

I'm a bit dismayed that the Tesla does not have the feature (I thought it did). They tout how safe the car is .... I consider this to be a fundamental safety feature.

Yes because of the sensors. But the sensors are very low range. You can’t rely on them entirely for blind spot detection. You could miss a car that’s coming at a speed significantly faster than yours. You are going to have to use a mix of sensors and cameras.

I am not saying it’s not doable it is just not as trivial as using a radar and I suspect this is why this has been delayed. IMO

Thanks everyone for your feedback...is Blind spot warning good or unnecessary could be debated. My true concern was that I assumed - that with all its technology- my Tesla would warn me if someone was in my blindspot. So I was driving as if it would.
Easy trap to fall into. I try and remind myself that auto tech today is an assist, not a replacement. So I continue to use my mirrors and my neck.

I like Audi's implementation - big silent flashing light on the mirror when a car is near your blind spot. Very visible to the driver, doesn't scare the crap out of the rest of the occupants in the car. Makes me sad my new TM3 will never have this capability ... the center screen is nowhere near my line of sight when I'm changing lanes.

I like Audi's implementation - big silent flashing light on the mirror when a car is near your blind spot. Very visible to the driver, doesn't scare the crap out of the rest of the occupants in the car. Makes me sad my new TM3 will never have this capability ... the center screen is nowhere near my line of sight when I'm changing lanes.

Agreed. I like using the mirrors for blind spot detection. Too bad this can't be fixed via OTA

...Yes, of course the car should not fix assumptions but every driver has a set of experiences and these experiences should be considered when developing a car. My point and communication to the folks of Tesla Motors is that of my thought processes which was: my Honda has blindspot warnings, my Tesla cost more, is suppose to be more advanced & has many more sensors and cameras (now I know, not a radar) so the Tesla should easily warn me too.

True ... but what can't be debated is you need to RTFM instead of doing dumb things like this :rolleyes: