Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blinded cameras

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the 5 hour drive this morning in the pitch black I had the problem for about 3 hours and on the return journey in the daytime for about 1 hour.

Neither is acceptable.

To think I’ve spent 4 hours farting about trying to change lanes and it throwing a wobbly and various other failure notifications due

When it works it’s brilliant. The problem here being the word WHEN.

8 months of ownership have convinced me that the Tesla M3 AWD is a fast, comfortable car, with an acceptable range and that costs peanuts to run. It has a great sound system and with the Octavalve system, a great HVAC system.

It is neither a sign of the Second Coming, or an advance guard for the Grim Reaper. End Of.

It has wipers, auto headlights, cruise control and many other secondary functions that seem to work for some and drive others to drink.

The manufacturer has delusions of universal autonomous driving that remind me of those who predict Fusion derived energy as the answer to all power needs. The predictions have been, for at least the last 25 years, "within 5 years" so best ignored, as is Mr Musk's fantasy of autonomous driving. I'll be long dead before it happens..if it happens.

So enjoy the car for what it is and stop believing in the impossible.

End of? Good heavens, Man, you're trying to be dated-modern?🤣
It's only cheap to run if you have access to cheap power, cheap insurance and never have it serviced or a breakdown not covered by warranty.
Musk is too self-opinionated to accept that he could abandon the absurd dream and build a car with the basics working or even get basic programming right. I’m into the fourth year of ownership and they still haven't got my home address in the mobile app so I just had to ring up and get my appt manually edited for the Model S frunk recall after their system gave me an appointment for a mobile ranger at Chester SC sometime between 2 and 6 pm this month.
Using their 'use my location' option just came up with 'Unnamed Road, Wales'.

I must admit, often when my cameras are "blinded" i've opened them up on the screen and its perfectly visible.

So the hopes that it is software rather than hardware are still alive in me. Slightly.

Not quite! The reversing camera view shows the "side indicator cameras" and not the cameras that the car uses for autopilot.

You cannot see the output of the blinded "B" pillar cameras or the front screen cameras on that screen.

However you can see one of the front cameras when looking at 'footage' from the sentry view USB storage.

• Informative
Reactions: Billbrown1982
End of? Good heavens, Man, you're trying to be dated-modern?🤣
It's only cheap to run if you have access to cheap power, cheap insurance and never have it serviced or a breakdown not covered by warranty.
Musk is too self-opinionated to accept that he could abandon the absurd dream and build a car with the basics working or even get basic programming right. I’m into the fourth year of ownership and they still haven't got my home address in the mobile app so I just had to ring up and get my appt manually edited for the Model S frunk recall after their system gave me an appointment for a mobile ranger at Chester SC sometime between 2 and 6 pm this month.
Using their 'use my location' option just came up with 'Unnamed Road, Wales'.
Agreed cheap is relative: my comparison is with the car I sold on to buy the Tesla.
It was a 4L twin Turbo AMG V8 in a C Class Estate.
Fuel consumption was 25mpg at best and it had to be fed 98 octane fuel.
Service agreement was £575 a year, excluding tyres and brake items.
Road tax was £480 and insurance £560.

Compared with the above the Model 3 AWD is cheap to run, at least for the first 3 years.

I agree with all your other points..
Other than that, SO FAR support from Winchester hasn't been bad, no worse than the Mercedes dealer and in some ways better.

Last edited:
Reactions: pgkevet
Not quite! The reversing camera view shows the "side indicator cameras" and not the cameras that the car uses for autopilot.

You cannot see the output of the blinded "B" pillar cameras or the front screen cameras on that screen.

However you can see one of the front cameras when looking at 'footage' from the sentry view USB storage.

Doh! You are of course totally right...and I knew that! I just had somehow chosen to completely forget it every single time I checked those cameras.

Yes I guess so but I want the misted rear lights sorted too. I need to pick my moment for that. (Following a car wash!)
I had a bit of a nightmare getting mine replaced when the car was less than 4 weeks old, I added the serive request, uploaded the pictures and then had the service visit cancelled, they point blank refused to replace them under warranty, stating that it's normal and in line with other manufacturer's policies. (I did have another post/rant on the matter).

I attempted to raise it as an official complaint, CS advised me that the only way to do this was through the service manager at the service center for which the issue was originally booked, which I did and basically said I was dropping the car of or rejecting it as it was "not of satisfactory quality", they agreed to replace them as a goodwill gesture. Now while this does sort out the issue on a case by case basis (for how long remains to be seen), it's far from ideal. In my case, it was the 4 rear clusters and the front fog lights, the latter have still to be replaced.

As it happens, I also get the camera blinded message and always the same camera.

I had a bit of a nightmare getting mine replaced when the car was less than 4 weeks old, I added the serive request, uploaded the pictures and then had the service visit cancelled, they point blank refused to replace them under warranty, stating that it's normal and in line with other manufacturer's policies. (I did have another post/rant on the matter).

I attempted to raise it as an official complaint, CS advised me that the only way to do this was through the service manager at the service center for which the issue was originally booked, which I did and basically said I was dropping the car of or rejecting it as it was "not of satisfactory quality", they agreed to replace them as a goodwill gesture. Now while this does sort out the issue on a case by case basis (for how long remains to be seen), it's far from ideal. In my case, it was the 4 rear clusters and the front fog lights, the latter have still to be replaced.

As it happens, I also get the camera blinded message and always the same camera.
There are a number of posts on the subject. Having lights obscured, whether by condensation or some thing else, is a motoring offence.
several owners have been told to get them fixed by police.

There are a number of posts on the subject. Having lights obscured, whether by condensation or some thing else, is a motoring offence.
several owners have been told to get them fixed by police.
Their response to this (in my case) is that it does not affect the performance of the lights due to their design, actually they go on to say that other manufacturers use colored lens design that can make condensation less visible compared to theirs. Yonestly, you couldnt make it up. Naturally, I've kept all correspondence and have had the rears replaced and due to get the front fog lights replaced next week.

Another 2 hours journey in fabulous driving conditions and I had no less than 32 blinded/autopilot limited/lane change not available messages.

The camera system software is truly crap at the moment.

I’ve had Teslas for 7+ years now and the situation has never been so bad.

Half the journey navigate on autopilot was not available.

Lane changes worked 50% of the time.

My cameras were not fogged up. The problem was the bloody sun! They fail when it’s aunny. They fail then it’s too dark. They fail when it rains heavily and they fail when you drive close to bushes etc.

Seriously they need to improve the camera software. If it was fine before it can be fine again.

FF58C73E-B19A-463D-9F6E-AD3673058056.jpeg

Reactions: Dilly
I've had "blinded" camera warnings since I got my car over a year ago. I get why they do, I just wish they'd keep the errors hidden, it's distracting them popping up.

But I've not had it do as above and not allow AP (I don't have NoA or FSD). It's always been able to do AP even with those warning.

I've had "blinded" camera warnings since I got my car over a year ago. I get why they do, I just wish they'd keep the errors hidden, it's distracting them popping up.

But I've not had it do as above and not allow AP (I don't have NoA or FSD). It's always been able to do AP even with those warning.
Autopilot does work but navigate on autopilot stops working. Lane changes also stop working occasionally but you don’t know if they will work or not until to try to change lane.

At best it’s bloody distracting, infuriating and bordering on dangerous.

So enjoy the car for what it is and stop believing in the impossible.

If everyone thought like this we still would be living in caves and hunting gathering ;).

No one can see into the future, but if my daughter still have to physically 'drive' her self to get from A to B in 2033 I would see that as a sad state of affairs.

Equally if you don't buy into the potential software developments Tesla keep on pushing am not sure you why you would choose a Tesla and not get any number of different EVs?