Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blinded pillar cameras

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine alternates. No relationship to weather or condensation.

And then I get the front radar diminished and Autopilot goes out. I think it is a software glitch.
I never had it on the Model S, the Model 3 or the Model X.

I get the warning late in the afternoon when the sun is lower on the horizon.
I've mostly had it in mid-late morning when driving east or west. Sometimes the sun isn't even that bright. Car is garaged overnight and it has been colder outside so condensation is a definite possibility. However I have yet to see any condensation in the camera housings. I reported it to SC and they verified events from vehicle log but said there's nothing to be done.

I have had this issue occur for two reasons that I have discovered (so far).
The condensate is the first and most common reason. Doesn't happen a lot but it happens enough that I've gotten used to it.

The other reason is the sun's angle. Depending on the season and what time of day I am driving and the direction, sometimes the sun is low enough in the sky, and the camera has a clear view of the sun, the camera will get "blinded by the light"... hmmm that phrase might make a good song...

Anyone else getting intermittent messages that pillar cameras are obstructed or blinded? This has occurred on both sides and always seems to be when the bright sun is on that side of the car. Cameras are not obstructed or fogged by condensation. Seems that some sort of filter is needed. Could be a problem with FSD.
It's happing to my model y and it's only 5 days old with less than 300 miles on it. What should I do?

So it really worried me when I was in the sane position. Now feels like it’s rare, I understand what is going on, and has had near zero impact on me, other than one time over 2500 miles drive that I didn’t use autopilot (even though I could) because I was concerned about it dropping out — even though I has no evidence it actually would. Maybe yours actually has defects (water leak in camera housing, faulty camera) but based on my experience it’s something you get used to (and which it seems to me happens less over time or I notice it less).