Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blindspot monitoring and Lane Departure avoidance errors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What specific errors?

See Subject of this thread. The actual msg is "Blind spot monitoring many be limited. If the problem persists, contact Tesla Service..." Or something to that effect. Same for the Lane departure. Each message alternates with the other in the same location. I never just get one of the errors, or at least I don't recall see just one of the two messages.

I've gotten this message a few times. Always in the same general area. The road leading to my house is unlined, unlit, no reflectors and the houses are set well back from the road with intervening trees. so far it's always in the dark and overcast or misty when it happens to me. I just assumed it was letting me know it couldn't see anything at all. Also 12.2 at the moment but it also did it with 27.something it was delivered with.

I've gotten this message a few times. Always in the same general area. The road leading to my house is unlined, unlit, no reflectors and the houses are set well back from the road with intervening trees. so far it's always in the dark and overcast or misty when it happens to me. I just assumed it was letting me know it couldn't see anything at all. Also 12.2 at the moment but it also did it with 27.something it was delivered with.
Interesting. Today, I was on a road similar to the one you describe, including the intervening trees, except it was around noon and sunny when it happened to me.

I've seen these messages once or twice since buying my Tesla about six months ago. I'm not overly concerned with that frequency, but if it happened often, I'd take the car to Tesla for service. I'd also suggest taking notes, and maybe photographing the surroundings if possible (maybe save a TeslaCam recording), for a few instances. This might help the service center diagnose and fix the problem.

What specific errors?
See Subject of this thread. The actual msg is "Blind spot monitoring many be limited. If the problem persists, contact Tesla Service..." Or something to that effect.

Just an FYI to consider, when I read your subject line ("Blindspot monitoring and Lane Departure avoidance errors"), I interpreted that to mean either that you were seeing false alarms (warnings about cars in lanes when none existed, or about lane departure events when you were tracking straight) or misses (no alerts about cars or events when they were present or happening). Without seeing what you saw, an "error" could be interpreted as just about anything. I'm not trying to pick on you or be pedantic, just use this as an illustration of the importance of clear communication when asking for help about a problem.

I've seen these messages once or twice since buying my Tesla about six months ago. I'm not overly concerned with that frequency, but if it happened often, I'd take the car to Tesla for service. I'd also suggest taking notes, and maybe photographing the surroundings if possible (maybe save a TeslaCam recording), for a few instances. This might help the service center diagnose and fix the problem.

Just an FYI to consider, when I read your subject line ("Blindspot monitoring and Lane Departure avoidance errors"), I interpreted that to mean either that you were seeing false alarms (warnings about cars in lanes when none existed, or about lane departure events when you were tracking straight) or misses (no alerts about cars or events when they were present or happening). Without seeing what you saw, an "error" could be interpreted as just about anything. I'm not trying to pick on you or be pedantic, just use this as an illustration of the importance of clear communication when asking for help about a problem.

Noted. So, it seems that my situation is a bit more unique, and probably indicative of a fault somewhere in my 3's hardware/software - given there aren't hordes reporting a similar experience in similar circumstances. If there were, I would just wait for the next firmware update to see if that too care of the issue.

I got this error for the first time on a sunny day. I got out and there was a little condensation on the pillar camera on the side of the car facing the sun. I'm assuming that this was because The glare from the sun was hitting that condensation and obscuring the camera. After it cleared up 5 mins later I got no more warnings

What I have found a couple times, now that it has gotten cold here, is that the b pillar cameras are forming condensation right in front of the camera. This causes the alarm you are talking about. I’ve read that there are heaters to clear this but don’t know if that is good info. Mine clears on its own over time. I’ve sent pictures to Tesla as requested awaiting response.

Reactions: CMoZ
What I have found a couple times, now that it has gotten cold here, is that the b pillar cameras are forming condensation right in front of the camera. This causes the alarm you are talking about. I’ve read that there are heaters to clear this but don’t know if that is good info. Mine clears on its own over time. I’ve sent pictures to Tesla as requested awaiting response.
Thanks for sharing any response you receive here, if you every receive one.

Update: Another sunny and cooler day here in Seattle. While parked at a store, I noticed condensation on the inside of the "B" pillar camera glass (not the camera glass, the "B" pillar window glass that the camera peeks out of). Later, while driving home, I saw the errors again.

Question:
Does the condensation indicate a bad seal and therefore a trip to the SC is needed, or is that just a design oversight and happens to all 3's in similar conditions?

I'm getting both of these as well, (one or the other/rarely at the same time), about once every 2 or 3 drives. Sometimes they will go away in a few minutes. Other times, they'll stay on through several drives... I checked the cameras for dirt/debris/condensation and they all appear to be clear. Just got 32.12.2 last night so I'm going to see if that makes any difference.

More of an annoyance than anything. Just don't like to see that alert on the screen.

I'm getting both of these as well, (one or the other/rarely at the same time), about once every 2 or 3 drives. Sometimes they will go away in a few minutes. Other times, they'll stay on through several drives... I checked the cameras for dirt/debris/condensation and they all appear to be clear. Just got 32.12.2 last night so I'm going to see if that makes any difference.

More of an annoyance than anything. Just don't like to see that alert on the screen.

Same frequency for me. What firmware are you running? Did this start recently for you, like in the past few weeks as it has for me? I'm on 12.2.