Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blindspot monitoring and Lane Departure avoidance errors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the response I got from tesla after showing this picture. I've seen this a couple times now and it clears on its own within an hour or so. Seems to be temperature humidity sensitive.

BellevueService
Oct 30, 2019, 5:41 PM (2 days ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

OK, thank you! Generally it is expected to see some fine condensation of this type in any exterior lights, cameras, etc. – we generally don’t have a concern unless we’re seeing very heavy droplets and/or standing water in the areas. Please don’t hesitate to reach out if anything changes on this front. Otherwise, as long as it continues to clear, it shouldn’t cause any other issues.

Thanks!

Last edited:
This is the response I got from tesla after showing this picture. I've seen this a couple times now and it clears on its own within an hour or so. Seems to be temperature humidity sensitive.

BellevueService
Oct 30, 2019, 5:41 PM (2 days ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

OK, thank you! Generally it is expected to see some fine condensation of this type in any exterior lights, cameras, etc. – we generally don’t have a concern unless we’re seeing very heavy droplets and/or standing water in the areas. Please don’t hesitate to reach out if anything changes on this front. Otherwise, as long as it continues to clear, it shouldn’t cause any other issues.

Thanks!
@Wado Interesting.... My appointment is with the Bellevue SC as well, for 11/6, yet I received no such message. How far in advance of your appointment did this message come?

@Wado Interesting.... My appointment is with the Bellevue SC as well, for 11/6, yet I received no such message. How far in advance of your appointment did this message come?
We talked on email and exchanged pictures before making an appointment. They determined that this was within normal operation parameters. I'm not sure what I think of this to be honest, basically they are saying in cold whether its ok that functionality of the car is compromised for periods of time ie. no NOA .

We talked on email and exchanged pictures before making an appointment. They determined that this was within normal operation parameters. I'm not sure what I think of this to be honest, basically they are saying in cold whether its ok that functionality of the car is compromised for periods of time ie. no NOA .

Can you PM me the email address? I've never found a way to talk to someone, unless they call me...

I got the same warning for the first time this morning on my drive to work.

It was unseasonably warm, raining and humid yesterday. I parked my wet car in the warm garage overnight. We also had a 30 degree drop in temps this morning from a cold front. When I arrived at work, I saw that the B pillar cameras were fogged with condensation behind the glass. By noon, it all cleared up.

I am hoping this is because of the rare extreme swing in warm/humid to cold/dry that caused this and not an issue with some seals.

So... this keeps happening in my Model 3. Several times over the past week, in varying weather conditions, with "cold" seemingly to be the only consistent factor.

Condensation forms on the inside of the B-pillar camera compartment and then I get the "Blindspot detection limited... Camera visibility reduced" warning message popping up on the screen.

upload_2019-11-7_12-29-46.png

I love how most of the responses owners have gotten thus far from SC's in response to repeated malfunctioning of safety-related features is...

upload_2019-11-7_12-43-54.png

On the bright side, over in another thread, one owner is reporting that he was told by a mobile repair tech that it IS a legitimate problem that shouldn't be happening and that Tesla Engineering is working on a fix.

B-pillar cameras fogging up?

Just a quick update: mobile service confirmed that, as long as it triggers alerts for blind spot monitoring and lane keeping features, condensation on the interior surface of the camera cover glass is not normal. They replaced both b-pillar cameras and covers under warranty today. They also mentioned that Tesla engineers are looking for a long-term solution as the issue has started to come up on a lot of cars.

The tech basically said he expects it to happen again, at least over time; replacing the cover is a temporary solution until a better design is in place. According to him, engineering is actively working on a redesign that would provide a better seal between the top portion of the camera enclosure and the glass applique. The parts that were replaced are 1109253-90-F and 109255-90-F. Interestingly, the parts catalog already shows what I think are later revisions for both: 1109253-00-G and 1109255-00-G.

Hopefully that's true. But if fixing this means replacing both b-pillar cameras (and maybe additional components) in all Model 3's, that would be a huge undertaking.