Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blink and Chargepoint in SoCal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
San Diegans: have you bothered getting Blink and/or Chargepoint accounts?

I can't imagine needing it when driving around town. A standard charge will be fine for the entire day, isn't that the whole point of the 85 battery?

But if I'm out and about and happen to see a public charger where I happen to be parking anyway, it would be tempting to top off, especially if it's free juice.

For me, road trips to LA/Orange will be somewhat normal but still infrequent, and superchargers will take care of most situations. What do you do?

I think the blink and chargepoint stations in San Diego are pay per use (although you may find some that are free). You would need to set up accounts for both to receive the access card either way. A tip that was given to me by San Diegans was to get a Car2Go account as well, as most of the charging stations will have Car2Go cars parked in them (it is annoying). by having an access card to Car2Go you can move the car and use the spot to charge your car. Otherwise you will need to keep their phone # handy so that you can call them and have them move the car. There is/was a Car2Go code when applying that basically puts you into a group of peeps who will need access to move the car, not to drive them (so you don't get charged). Some San Diegans have also opened up their home chargers for use.

You may want to download the Recargo/Plugshare and Chargepoint apps for your smartphone to see which are free and which are pay per use. I visited SD in early May and every Blink charger I went to was pay per use (and occupied by a Car2Go car)

edit: ha! for some reason I thought you were visiting from NorCal. but if you are in need of a charge, having the blink/chargepoint/Car2Go access cards will be handy if you can't make it home.

Last edited:
Getting either of the cards is pretty simple and I recommend every EV owner have them. You never know when you'll need them.

If you plan to charge at Blink, you'll want to become a member so that you can get cheaper charge rates. Not sure if they are running the promotion anymore, but they had 1 year of their plus membership for free which knocked the price down from $2 to $1 per hour. Their basic membership is free and the rate is $1.50/hr.

Brilliant. I never even considered the fact that EV spots are often in prime locations. I need to order these cards right away.

Just my 2 cents. If you do park in the EV spot, I do hope that you are charging (while using the prime location). It would be inconsiderate to other EV owners to just park without charging. Someone should start an EV Etiquette Thread.. :biggrin: