Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blink J1772 Connector (REMA Brand) overheating?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Posted by ChadS:

Yup, your Leaf's J1772 EVSE will work fine with the Model S. There's just the hassle of moving it between the Leaf and S.

It will probably charge at 30A, although it's possible it was installed at a lower level (the Leaf only pulls 15A). 30A should still generally be over 20 miles or range replaced per hour of charging, so overnight should be fine unless you plan to completely drain the car two days in a row.

For more info on charging a new Model S, see THIS thread.

I don't think you're in an EV Project area, so I'm not sure what EVSE you have. But if it's a Blink, HERE is something to consider.

I started a new thread for this conversation because I was really surprised to learn the info linked about the Blink EVSE inside the Has anyone received a HPWC yet? thread.

I have a Volt right now and am participating in the EV Project. Therefore, I have a Blink EVSE in my garage. I had planned to keep up my participation in the EV Project when Model S arrives. I figure Model S will arrive sometime in summer, and the EV Project (at least for Chicago area) lasts until end of 2013. Now after reading the linked content, I don't like that idea. Hopefully more info about the Blink EVSE and higher amp usage will come out before summer so I'll be able to make the best call. Fortunately my Blink EVSE is of the plug-in variety, so I can just unplug the Blink from the 6-50 plug and get the appropriate adapted for the UMC to take full advantage of Model S's 10kW charging capability.

David

I have a Blink EVSE, and used it for a while to charge the LEAF (240V@16A).
I also used it occasionally to charge my old Ford RangerEV (240V@~24A) and didn't observe any overheating or melting.

I am thinking that one or both of the following could be true:
#1: Some of the Blink/REMA plugs were defective, but many are not. (Ingineer/Phil did suggest that he thought that some had "bad crimps" in the handle.)
#2: Some vehicles might attempt to pull more than 30A through the plug. (I suspect the RAV4EV and FitEV engineers are studying this situation carefully to make sure that their vehicle's chargers aren't overloading an otherwise good plug.)

The Blink/REMA J1772 plug seems to be the most suspect component, but I don't think we have the "final answer", and it may be premature to suggest that Model S never should charge from a Blink J1772. At a minimum, it is probably OK to use them if you dial the current back to 16A.

There a LOT of people with the Model S that have used public Blink J1772 stations without a problem.

That being said, I also have a Blink at home. The unit is a piece of garbage - they can only continue to remain in business due to preferential government programs - folks who spend their own money on home EVSE never purchase a Blink unit. The Blink uses a NEMA 6-50 plug into the wall. I got the 6-50 adapter with my Model S, and just plug the UMC into the wall, and unplug the Blink - the Blinks are installed at 40 amps, and that's what the S is charging at. I use the Blink for my other EV, just to keep the terms of participation in the EV project. If you get into a situation in which Ecotality insists on taking back their Blink charger, consider yourself lucky.

I recently got a tour of the Leviton EVSE engineering center in San Diego and was very impressed with what I saw. I learned that they sell J1772 connectors and cables on their website, and I'm thinking seriously about upgrading my Blink REMA cable with one from Leviton...They have designed a nice ergonomic connector; the white part won't discolor in the sun, and they come with 25 foot cables...The 75 amp cable would provide some future-proofing for another EVSE down the road if I wanted to switch it out...

J1772 Charge Connector and Cable : Electric Vehicle : Leviton Manufacturing

... the Blinks are installed at 40 amps, and that's what the S is charging at...
Why do you say that? Because you see a 40 amp circuit breaker?
Continuous load devices (like a car charging) are supposed to stay under 80% of the breaker rating, so the Model S (or other EVSEs) should only be providing 30A, not 40A.
Also, if your 6-50 plug has a 40amp breaker behind it, you really shouldn't be asking the Model S to draw 40amps continuously from that circuit.