Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blink Tesla compatibility -- vaporware claim?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently noticed a few new Blink Level 2 EVSEs pop up in my area on PlugShare (one actually replaced a ChargePoint station that had been reported as unreliable, but another is so new that the soil around the stations had clearly been recently disturbed by the installation). Previously, I'd never encountered any Blink stations, although of course I'd heard of them. I also noticed a few Blink CHAdeMO stations along the route I'll be taking to visit my sister in a week, and as I have Tesla's CHAdeMO adapter, I signed up with a Blink account. I also found this on Blink's Web site:

Blink Web site said:
DC Fast Chargers currently on Blink Network offer the CHAdeMO connector, but there are plans to incorporate other standards, such as the SAE combo and Tesla’s proprietary connector, in the future.

Aside from one or two proof-of-concept installations and sites that have Tesla's CHAdeMO adapter available on site, this is the first I've heard about even vague plans for third parties to provide direct Tesla compatibility in DC fast chargers. Does anybody know anything more about this? Obviously, it's not critical, and unless and until I hear of Blink stations appearing with Tesla plugs on them, or at least an official announcement with a timeline, I consider this claim to be basically vaporware; but it is interesting that they're at least considering it.

I recently noticed a few new Blink Level 2 EVSEs pop up in my area on PlugShare (one actually replaced a ChargePoint station that had been reported as unreliable, but another is so new that the soil around the stations had clearly been recently disturbed by the installation). Previously, I'd never encountered any Blink stations, although of course I'd heard of them. I also noticed a few Blink CHAdeMO stations along the route I'll be taking to visit my sister in a week, and as I have Tesla's CHAdeMO adapter, I signed up with a Blink account. I also found this on Blink's Web site:

Aside from one or two proof-of-concept installations and sites that have Tesla's CHAdeMO adapter available on site, this is the first I've heard about even vague plans for third parties to provide direct Tesla compatibility in DC fast chargers. Does anybody know anything more about this? Obviously, it's not critical, and unless and until I hear of Blink stations appearing with Tesla plugs on them, or at least an official announcement with a timeline, I consider this claim to be basically vaporware; but it is interesting that they're at least considering it.

In Europe, several charging network providers BOUGHT Tesla CHAdeMO adapters to Tesla proprietary/Mennekes to allow Teslas to use the CHAdeMO on their chargers...

EVgo plan is to do the same here adapting CHAdeMO to Tesla proprietary connector (S and newer)

It's definitely vaporware, bordering on false advertising. I sent a query to Blink and received the following in response, from somebody named Gloria Williams:

Gloria Williams said:
Thank you for contacting Blink Charging Customer Support. Unfortunately we do not have plans to incorporate the SAE Combo Charger connector to any Blink Chargers.

At this time to use the Blink DCFC you would have to invest in the Tesla's CHadeMO adapter or if your Tesla' is one of the models that comes with the J1772 adapter which would allow you to use our Level 2 charger.

It's kind of surprising that they don't even plan to add CCS to their stations, given that most new non-Tesla EVs use CCS.

Any
It's definitely vaporware, bordering on false advertising. I sent a query to Blink and received the following in response, from somebody named Gloria Williams:

It's kind of surprising that they don't even plan to add CCS to their stations, given that most new non-Tesla EVs use CCS.
Anyone know of any updates on this?

https://www.blinkcharging.com/products/family-of-products/ lists a dual standard DC FC. It points to DC Fast EV Charging Stations : Blink Charging which is simply a re-badged Tritium unit. I've never heard of one of these being deployed by Blink in the US, yet.

I only have seen their old crappy L2 units and their huge dual handle CHAdeMO stations from the Ecotality days. There were also some of the CHAdeMO only Nissan Quick Charger - CHAdeMO DC Fast Charging for Electric Vehicles that seemed to be "owned" by them/"on" their network long ago.

Last edited: