TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Blink Tesla compatibility -- vaporware claim?

Discussion in 'North America' started by srs5694, Dec 14, 2019.

1. srs5694

srs5694 Active Member

I recently noticed a few new Blink Level 2 EVSEs pop up in my area on PlugShare (one actually replaced a ChargePoint station that had been reported as unreliable, but another is so new that the soil around the stations had clearly been recently disturbed by the installation). Previously, I'd never encountered any Blink stations, although of course I'd heard of them. I also noticed a few Blink CHAdeMO stations along the route I'll be taking to visit my sister in a week, and as I have Tesla's CHAdeMO adapter, I signed up with a Blink account. I also found this on Blink's Web site:

Aside from one or two proof-of-concept installations and sites that have Tesla's CHAdeMO adapter available on site, this is the first I've heard about even vague plans for third parties to provide direct Tesla compatibility in DC fast chargers. Does anybody know anything more about this? Obviously, it's not critical, and unless and until I hear of Blink stations appearing with Tesla plugs on them, or at least an official announcement with a timeline, I consider this claim to be basically vaporware; but it is interesting that they're at least considering it.

2. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

In Europe, several charging network providers BOUGHT Tesla CHAdeMO adapters to Tesla proprietary/Mennekes to allow Teslas to use the CHAdeMO on their chargers...

EVgo plan is to do the same here adapting CHAdeMO to Tesla proprietary connector (S and newer)

3. srs5694

srs5694 Active Member

It's definitely vaporware, bordering on false advertising. I sent a query to Blink and received the following in response, from somebody named Gloria Williams:

It's kind of surprising that they don't even plan to add CCS to their stations, given that most new non-Tesla EVs use CCS.